Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #191
DUNDASJ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Princeton
Posts: 129
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


What size mash tuns do you guys have? 38 pounds of grain is a ton. I wish I could make a 10 gallon batch of this but i sure won't be unless I make another mash tun other than my 10 gallon drink cooler.

__________________
DUNDASJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #192
jwible204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 384
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNDASJ View Post
What size mash tuns do you guys have? 38 pounds of grain is a ton. I wish I could make a 10 gallon batch of this but i sure won't be unless I make another mash tun other than my 10 gallon drink cooler.
70 qt, it's quite full when i mash this grist.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com
jwible204 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #193
jwible204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 384
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhuckleberry View Post
Is that 1.0 heaping tsp of each ingredient?

For example: 1tsp nutmeg, 1tsp cloves, 1tsp all spice, 1tsp ginger, and 1 tsp cinnamon?

I am excited to try this.
1 tsp of each ingredient.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com
jwible204 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 07:23 AM   #194
TX-straggler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 50
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Wake this thread up!

__________________
TX-straggler is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #195
TX-straggler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 50
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default


Fall will be here before we know. Finally gonna brew this recipe, should be in its prime Oct-Dec, pumped!!

Anymore thoughts on when the pumpkin should be added and why, seen so much back and forth on the subject, guess Ill just add it to the boil.

__________________
TX-straggler is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #196
jwible204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 384
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by TX-straggler View Post
Fall will be here before we know. Finally gonna brew this recipe, should be in its prime Oct-Dec, pumped!!

Anymore thoughts on when the pumpkin should be added and why, seen so much back and forth on the subject, guess Ill just add it to the boil.
If you feel compelled to use pumpkin, you should bake it with sugar/spices then add it to the mash. I personally don't use it.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com
jwible204 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2013, 05:31 AM   #197
Chug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rural
Posts: 98
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


I plan on giving this a shot. The feedback sounds amazing, but I'm still a little leary on adding 2 pounds of crystal to a 5 gallon batch. And also, 40 IBU's seems a little excessive for a pumpkin ale. Can someone please ease my mind on these probably minute issues I'm having with it? I'm still having night terrors from the "Pumking clone" I brewed last year and need assurance this won't break my heart.

__________________
Chug is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #198
tfratzke
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 12
Default Spice Addition at Kegging


Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
Any more than half a tsp of each in a five gallon batch would be way too much. Half tsp each in 5 gallons at 15 min left in the boil and another half tsp each at kegging is PERFECT!
So just to be clear, you added another 1/2 tsp of each of the spices again at kegging instead of using Pumpkin Pie Spice? Making this on Saturday, looking forward to it!

Thanks!
Tony
__________________
tfratzke is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #199
jwible204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 384
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by tfratzke View Post
So just to be clear, you added another 1/2 tsp of each of the spices again at kegging instead of using Pumpkin Pie Spice? Making this on Saturday, looking forward to it!

Thanks!
Tony
No, I use a pre-blended pumpkin pie spice at kegging.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com
jwible204 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 PM   #200
jwible204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 384
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chug View Post
I plan on giving this a shot. The feedback sounds amazing, but I'm still a little leary on adding 2 pounds of crystal to a 5 gallon batch. And also, 40 IBU's seems a little excessive for a pumpkin ale. Can someone please ease my mind on these probably minute issues I'm having with it? I'm still having night terrors from the "Pumking clone" I brewed last year and need assurance this won't break my heart.
I would agree, but with a beer this big/malty/sweet, it's just fine. It attenuates down to 1.020 without issue, I've even had it drop further than that.
__________________
www.fivemilebrewingcompany.com
jwible204 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extract - H&B Pumpkin Ale mannish Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 10 11-04-2011 06:30 PM
All-Grain - Joie De Vivre (Fake Imperial Pumpkin) passedpawn Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 33 09-11-2011 08:14 PM
All-Grain - Pug Pumpkin Ale Ziggybrew Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 0 10-08-2010 01:32 AM
All-Grain - Pa (Pumpkin Ale) adamjab19 Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 1 07-11-2009 07:20 PM
All-Grain - Roasted Pumpkin Ale TUCK Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 2 11-10-2007 02:50 AM