Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #151
BudzAndSudz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Let's talk yeast for a moment, yeah?

Last year on all three batches of this I used WLP013 London Ale yeast. It was absolutely the best beer I've ever made. Now since I can't leave good enough alone I want to try and see if there's an even better option out there. So far the strains that interest me most, in order, are;

WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale
WLP005 British Ale
WLP002 English Ale

My guess is that these are all going to be good, and perhaps may even be indistinguishable from one another, but I wanted to see what the community here thinks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2012, 10:42 PM   #152
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
Let's talk yeast for a moment, yeah?

Last year on all three batches of this I used WLP013 London Ale yeast. It was absolutely the best beer I've ever made. Now since I can't leave good enough alone I want to try and see if there's an even better option out there. So far the strains that interest me most, in order, are;

WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale
WLP005 British Ale
WLP002 English Ale

My guess is that these are all going to be good, and perhaps may even be indistinguishable from one another, but I wanted to see what the community here thinks!
I've never used WLP037 but just read about it, sounds like it would be just fine. Most English/American Ale yeasts would work fine for this beer, though I prefer a more malt-forward yeast for this style.

This year I used a combo of WLP023 and WLP007.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:30 AM   #153
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

I would agree with you. Everything I've read about 037 is that it's pretty malty as well (being another english strain of course). I still like the WLP013, but the super low flocculation annoys me. purely an aesthetic thing really, but a nice clear beer is pretty enjoyable. I also REALLY like the thought of "Toasty, malt-driven esters" from WLP037.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM   #154
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
I've never used WLP037 but just read about it, sounds like it would be just fine. Most English/American Ale yeasts would work fine for this beer, though I prefer a more malt-forward yeast for this style.

This year I used a combo of WLP023 and WLP007.
Are you worried at all about 80% attenuation in a beer with such a high OG?Seems to me that it's potentially pushing the limits of drinkability for a beer if you're going from 1.090 to 1.020ish, but maybe I'm wrong on that. That's really my only hesitation with the 007, but then again, just using a plain ESB yeast that doesn't attenuate below 1.030 might have the exact opposite effect and make a beer that's just overly sweet and thick on the palate.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:53 AM   #155
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz

Are you worried at all about 80% attenuation in a beer with such a high OG?Seems to me that it's potentially pushing the limits of drinkability for a beer if you're going from 1.090 to 1.020ish, but maybe I'm wrong on that. That's really my only hesitation with the 007, but then again, just using a plain ESB yeast that doesn't attenuate below 1.030 might have the exact opposite effect and make a beer that's just overly sweet and thick on the palate.
Legged 5.5 gallon of this year's tonight. Attenuated to 1.015, but still has a sweet taste. It has more spice coming through than previous years, most likely because of the spiced brown sugar and pumpkin I caramel iced and added to the mash (because of competition requirements). I still spiced it as usual and added vanilla, I'm stoked to try it next week!

I also have 4 oz of graham cracker extract coming that I'll be adding to the next 5.5 gallons, I think that's going to put this beer over the top.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:15 AM   #156
mwzakt20
Recipes 

I'm curious if anyone ever tried this recipe w malt extract? I've only been brewing for about a year and havent attempted an all grain brew. I'm thinking of getting some amber malt w some crystal malt grain for my wort. I'm thinking the amber malt will provide a sweeter flavor than a pale malt.

I can't wait to try this out. All the suggestions on this thread sound awesome & were very helpful in prepping. Happy brewing!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #157
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204 View Post
Legged 5.5 gallon of this year's tonight. Attenuated to 1.015, but still has a sweet taste. It has more spice coming through than previous years, most likely because of the spiced brown sugar and pumpkin I caramel iced and added to the mash (because of competition requirements). I still spiced it as usual and added vanilla, I'm stoked to try it next week!

I also have 4 oz of graham cracker extract coming that I'll be adding to the next 5.5 gallons, I think that's going to put this beer over the top.
So even with that low of an FG you don't get any hotness from the alcohol? I suppose with such a monster OG it should still be covered pretty well. I think I like the thought then, because I remember last year, despite being so tasty, it was a "one-glass" beer. Just SO much body that one glass was about all you could handle, despite how good it tasted. Hopefully a lower FG will increase the drinkability.

I've been considering the Graham Cracker extract thing too. Did you read that in the Pumking thread? haha. I'm a bit worried it'll push it a bit over the top in terms of overwhelming flavor, but it also might just hit the sweet spot.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #158
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
So even with that low of an FG you don't get any hotness from the alcohol? I suppose with such a monster OG it should still be covered pretty well. I think I like the thought then, because I remember last year, despite being so tasty, it was a "one-glass" beer. Just SO much body that one glass was about all you could handle, despite how good it tasted. Hopefully a lower FG will increase the drinkability.

I've been considering the Graham Cracker extract thing too. Did you read that in the Pumking thread? haha. I'm a bit worried it'll push it a bit over the top in terms of overwhelming flavor, but it also might just hit the sweet spot.
It's not a beer I would drink pints of, but I'm OK with that. I have it on right now next to a very quaffable Simcoe/Chinook Pale Ale. The Graham Cracker flavor is the thing I've wanted to do for a while and I found this Extract company who makes every extract you can think of. They are alcohol based and the person on the phone said they sell to breweries pretty often.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #159
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

So do you like the dry finish of 1.015 better than last years? I think I remember finishing about 1.022 last year which was delicious. I'm pretty interested in higher attenuation though, like I said from a drinkability standpoint. Don't want to be sick of it after only one, even if (as you said) the goal isn't to drink more than 2-3.
I really wanted the Yorkshire Ale from White Labs (Biscuity and Toasty esters sound perfect for this beer), but it doesn't come out until November :/

Old 10-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #160
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
So do you like the dry finish of 1.015 better than last years? I think I remember finishing about 1.022 last year which was delicious. I'm pretty interested in higher attenuation though, like I said from a drinkability standpoint. Don't want to be sick of it after only one, even if (as you said) the goal isn't to drink more than 2-3.
I really wanted the Yorkshire Ale from White Labs (Biscuity and Toasty esters sound perfect for this beer), but it doesn't come out until November :/
You know, even with the drier finish it's still has a huge malt back-bone and plenty of body. I do think it's less 'creamy' tasting but fine nonetheless. I think to dial it in I'd aim for it to attenuate to about 1.020 in the future. This year's was also a bit different in that I added brown-sugar, that was only because it HAD to have real pumpkin for a competition I'm entering it in and I baked it before mashing with the sugar. That may have contributed to the attenuation along with the Dry English Ale yeast.

Quick Reply