Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #141
barnhs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Tho
Quick question: I've never brewed a beer this strong before. Does that change the amount of water I use per pound of grain? Also, how much Irish Moss equals one Whirlfloc Tablet?
I mashed with 6.09 gallons, and sparked with 2.17 gallons. Gave me 5.8 gallons pre boil. (For a 5 gallon batch). That made it 33 quarts for 19 lbs of grain, or about 1.75 quarts per pound.

Also, I'd just use the normal amount of Irish Moss. No need to go overboard.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2012, 08:54 PM   #142
barnhs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Tho
Quick question: I've never brewed a beer this strong before. Does that change the amount of water I use per pound of grain? Also, how much Irish Moss equals one Whirlfloc Tablet?
Also, you should make a starter, or buy two packs of yeast. With that much sugar in the wort, some of your boys aren't going to make it when they hit the beach. Only way to win that battle is to make sure you've got enough boys in Higgins boats. Otherwise, your yeast fails to establish a beachhead.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:31 PM   #143
J-Tho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks. Super looking forward to making this. I had actually planned to make a starter. Also my first time doing that. Wish me luck!

Old 09-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #144
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Tho View Post
You'll use the same strike water ratio (1.5qts/lb is the sweetspot for me), but since the grainbill is so large, you'll end up needing close to 12 gallons for everything after sparging. I usually shoot for about 8 gallons preboil for a 5 gallon batch cause my pot is weird shaped and I boil off pretty heavy.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #145
chalmer9
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 11 Posts

Mine is still conditioning. I used some very potent/expensive pumpkin pie spice at 5 min so I'll taste at kegging and see if I need any more. Excited to give this a shot.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #146
BudzAndSudz
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 85

IMO the spice and vanilla at kegging are what give this beer it's bonus. They add such a nice freshness to it, none of that boiled flavor. Think of dry hop flavor vs boil hops.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #147
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudzAndSudz View Post
IMO the spice and vanilla at kegging are what give this beer it's bonus. They add such a nice freshness to it, none of that boiled flavor. Think of dry hop flavor vs boil hops.
Agreed, the spice/vanilla addition at kegging/bottling is key. The flavors from boil > bottle/keg get washed out during fermentation. When you add it just before bottling it's very 'fresh' tasting.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:48 AM   #148
BluBruShack
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Figured. Out the question. I posted here looks like a great recipe thanks for posting

BBS

----------------------------------------------------------------
Up Next: Dopplebock
Primary: European IPA
Secondary: Empty :(
Keg: Pumpkin Amber Ale, Skeeter Pee(why not?)
Conditioning: Cherry Canadian Blonde, Belgian Abbey Ale

Old 10-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #149
Turfmanbrad
Recipes 

Brewed this last night. Starter pitched at 9pm, krausen blowing out my starsan pitcher by 12 noon. I'm glad I have it in my basement shower! Unfortunately my temps are high at 73 and I don't have a tub for the ice bath. Hopefully it doesn't end up with a big booze burn. Thoughts?

I made some recipe changes. For my 5 gal batch I did 7lb 2row, 8lb marris otter, 2lb crystal 20. I stuck with the magnum hops but went with Saaz at 10 min. I also mashed with 2.5lb pumpkin purée. Rice hulls!!!!

Blowoff junk smells fantastic. Hopefully it leaves some flavor in the beer!

Brewing drunk requires several batches of experience, brewing drunk. -mrk305-

It might be horrible, it could be great, but it'll definitely be beer!

Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #150
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfmanbrad View Post
Brewed this last night. Starter pitched at 9pm, krausen blowing out my starsan pitcher by 12 noon. I'm glad I have it in my basement shower! Unfortunately my temps are high at 73 and I don't have a tub for the ice bath. Hopefully it doesn't end up with a big booze burn. Thoughts?

I made some recipe changes. For my 5 gal batch I did 7lb 2row, 8lb marris otter, 2lb crystal 20. I stuck with the magnum hops but went with Saaz at 10 min. I also mashed with 2.5lb pumpkin purée. Rice hulls!!!!

Blowoff junk smells fantastic. Hopefully it leaves some flavor in the beer!
Honestly, the first time I brewed this I wasn't keen on temp control and it most certainly sat in the low 70's (this was over 2 years ago). Luckily, the yeast chosen is pretty resilient to warmer temps in my experience and doesn't get too estery, you should be fine.

Quick Reply