Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2012, 04:41 AM   #131
dsensationale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsensationale View Post
I am making an extract version of this one today, with a few adjustments. 1.2 ounces Magnum (60min), .6 ounce Fuggle (10 minutes), 2# Crystal 20L, 12# Golden Light DME, 2 cans of pumpkin filling baked at 350 for 45 minutes - half @ 30 minutes, half @ 15 minutes. I will probably up the spices as well, except the ginger and cloves. Hope it turns out ok!
Bottled this today. Today's flat version tasted amazing! We'll see how the addition of the Pumpkin Pie spices and Vanilla today come out in the bottles when they're ready.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 AM   #132
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I finally kegged this. I let it sit in primary for five weeks. It was as great as last year's even uncarbonated. I'll post some pics once it has more carbonation.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #133
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

After trying this year's batch a few times last night, I have realized that I made the base beer too strong for my tastes. It weighed in at around 10%. I'm going to brew this again following the same procedure and recipe as I did last year by cutting back the two row to 10 lbs.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #134
dsensationale
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
After trying this year's batch a few times last night, I have realized that I made the base beer too strong for my tastes. It weighed in at around 10%. I'm going to brew this again following the same procedure and recipe as I did last year by cutting back the two row to 10 lbs.
i bottled this last friday, and the uncarbonated version tasted good! we'll see how the vanilla and additional spices added at bottling affect it. it came in at 12 percent.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:32 PM   #135
HopoftheMuffintoYou
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply jwible204. MacGruber, I'm a little worried my batch will be a tad harsh as well. It should finish around 1.030 which would give it a 10.5% abv. Do you think adding another 1/8 teaspoon in addition to the 1/2 teaspoon of each spice would help mask it at bottling/kegging? It still should mellow out in the next few weeks.

What did you end up adding to the keg? 1/2 teaspoon of each; cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, nutmeg? I'm thinking I'll be adding a 1/2 teaspoon of each except for the cloves in which I'll add a 1/4 or an 1/8 because they are so prominent.

Also just a general question for you guys instead of boiling the spices would you just add the additional spices to your vanilla bean extract tincture? Let it sit 4-5 weeks with the vanilla beans or add it to the tincture at bottling?

Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #136
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I added an extra 1/2 tsp of each spice and 2.5 tablespoons of vanilla. The spices taste great, it's the beer itself that is too strong. When I made it last year I dialed the grains back to ten lbs because I only had a five gallon tun. It was perfect. I'll be going back to last year's recipe.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #137
HopoftheMuffintoYou
Recipes 

Yeah I hear you. I threw 2 scraped beans cut in quarters in an empty olive oil bottle. I used 2 tiny Smirnoff Vanilla vodkas and one Smirnoff Triple distilled - hopefully the vanilla vodka doesn't offset any flavoring. So that comes to about 5 fl oz if my math is correct. How much should I add to the bottling bucket for a 5 gallon batch?

Jwible204 - you used 4 oz for what a 10 gallon batch? Do you think 2 oz (equivalent to 4 tablespoons) is enough or about right for a 5g batch?

Old 09-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #138
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Add until the flavor is where you want it. Your extract may be stronger/weaker then my original depending how long it soaked. My current extract is over 1 year old and ridiculously strong so I may wind up using less when I keg this year's batch.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:46 AM   #139
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My spice mixture was perfect, but my base beer is just way too strong. I still love it...I just drink as much each day!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #140
J-Tho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quick question: I've never brewed a beer this strong before. Does that change the amount of water I use per pound of grain? Also, how much Irish Moss equals one Whirlfloc Tablet?

Quick Reply