Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #121
dsensationale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I am making an extract version of this one today, with a few adjustments. 1.2 ounces Magnum (60min), .6 ounce Fuggle (10 minutes), 2# Crystal 20L, 12# Golden Light DME, 2 cans of pumpkin filling baked at 350 for 45 minutes - half @ 30 minutes, half @ 15 minutes. I will probably up the spices as well, except the ginger and cloves. Hope it turns out ok!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 11:48 PM   #122
barnhs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Bottled this tonight, and it is BIG. Used the full 2oz of my homemade "vanilla in bourbon" extract (for my 2.5 gallon batch). Hoping it mellows in the bottle.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #123
JIW126
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

I pitched this with a stepped up starter of White Labs London Ale and the airlock was bubbling away inside of 2 hours. Went downstairs to check on it the next morning and found this.

Quite a mess to clean up but on the bright side my basement now smells like pumpkin pie.

image-4078132664.jpg  

Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 AM   #124
jwible204
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIW126
I pitched this with a stepped up starter of White Labs London Ale and the airlock was bubbling away inside of 2 hours. Went downstairs to check on it the next morning and found this.

Quite a mess to clean up but on the bright side my basement now smells like pumpkin pie.
Hahaha, that's a great pic. I know you already know this, but you should have used a blowoff tube.

Old 09-10-2012, 01:54 AM   #125
barnhs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIW126

I'm right there with you. I fermented my 2.5 gallon batch, in a 5 gallon carboy. And came within inches blowing the top off. All that sugar + all that yeast = extreme fermentation!

Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #126
JIW126
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwible204

Hahaha, that's a great pic. I know you already know this, but you should have used a blowoff tube.
Trust me I won't forget it again.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #127
J-Tho
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Do you guys think I'd need to make a starter if I'm only making a 3 gallon batch?

Old 09-11-2012, 03:52 PM   #128
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Tho View Post
Do you guys think I'd need to make a starter if I'm only making a 3 gallon batch?
I would, but that's because I'm very particular about pitching enough yeast. Yeastcalc says you need 181 billion cells. A fresh vial has 100 billion.

Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #129
HopoftheMuffintoYou
Recipes 

I brewed a 5g batch of this over the weekend; it's my second all grain batch. I cut the recipe in half and mashed at about 154 and ended up at 1.100-1.110. Thanks for all of the suggestions regarding this recipe. Here's what I did..

-I baked a can of libby's pumpkin pie mix and mixed in a little dark brown sugar @350 for 20 minutes. Then added this to the boil with 20 minutes left in a large muslin bag.
-I also added a # of the remaining dark brown sugar in the last 15 minutes of the boil. **not sure if I would go with the dark brown sugar again b/c it darkened up the wort slightly from the orange color I was getting after the pumpkin was added to the boil.
-5 minutes remaining in the boil I added half tsp each of ginger, cinnamon, cloves (only 1/8 tsp used), and nutmeg. I also added an 1/8 more of the ginger cinnamon and nutmeg because I didn't have allspice.
-I plan on soaking 1 or 2 vanilla beans in 5 oz of vodka until I bottle and will add this with another .5 tsp of each spice into the bottling bucket.

I used 2 packets of Safale S-04 and in about 15 hours I awoke to a crazy fermentation. I even put in a blow of tube before I left for work but either the fermentation was too crazy or I installed the blow off tube to far down in the bucket because when I checked on it at lunch my fermenter looked like JIW126's. After fixing the blow of tube the fermentation continued at a crazy pace.

This morning I checked my satelite fermenter and I was at 1.030 (it's only been 2 full days). I'll probably keep it in the fermenter for atleast another week if not 2 just to let the yeast clean it up a little more but I have a couple questions:

How long would you keep it in the primary (if I don't plan on using a secondary)?
How long would you let it sit in bottles before cracking one open? Usually I wait 2 - 3 weeks but with this finishing at such a high ABV would it be better to let it sit for a month?
What is the final gravity you guys have gotten for this brew? Should it finish lower than 1.030 or more in the 1.020 range?
Does the brown sugar spike the gravity up much - my preboil gravity was 1.086 and it got up to 1.100?
Have you guys noticed if the pumpkin pie spice aroma subsides in the primary at all? It's not as visible since the yeast have started doing their thing.

Pleast let me know if you have any insight concerning the above...I'll share my results in the coming weeks...
Thanks again for the recipe!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #130
jwible204
Recipes 

How long would you keep it in the primary (if I don't plan on using a secondary)?
How long would you let it sit in bottles before cracking one open? Usually I wait 2 - 3 weeks but with this finishing at such a high ABV would it be better to let it sit for a month?
What is the final gravity you guys have gotten for this brew? Should it finish lower than 1.030 or more in the 1.020 range?
Does the brown sugar spike the gravity up much - my preboil gravity was 1.086 and it got up to 1.100?
Have you guys noticed if the pumpkin pie spice aroma subsides in the primary at all? It's not as visible since the yeast have started doing their thing.

Pleast let me know if you have any insight concerning the above...I'll share my results in the coming weeks...
Thanks again for the recipe![/QUOTE]

I'd leave it in Primary for 4-6 weeks, it should be at terminal gravity within a week or two if you pitched the proper amount of yeast.

Once in bottles, I'd drink it as soon as it's carbed up, Pumpkin beer is better when fresh IMO, the spices will fade over time. Even at such a high ABV the alcohol is dominated by the spices/vanilla.

The pumpkin pie spice definitely subsides in Primary, that's why I add more at kegging/bottling. Add more until it's where you want it, maybe even beyond where you want it as it will subside in the keg/bottle.

Quick Reply