Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #91
jwible204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyPasta View Post
Hey guys, I'm going to be buying the supplies for this recipe and I can't help but to think about how much I'll be mashing! Did anyone else do this recipe with less grains? Or is having such a high OG what makes this so "pumpkin pie-ish"? I won't skimp out if this is what everybody else did and had great results with, but I figured I would ask. Thanks!
You can absolutely scale back the recipe, the spices/vanilla give it the pumpkin pie flavor. I like it being 'big' and Imperial because it has a nice big body. I would say scale down the base grain and some of the Crystal a hair, then flavor with spices as you see fit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #92
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

When I first made it, I scaled the grains down to 10 lbs pale malt and 2 lbs crystal-20. I cut the spices in half and added baked pumpkin chunks during the last 15 minutes of the boil. It was phenomenal and about 6%.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #93
LazyPasta
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks for the response guys! For my 5 gallon batch, I decided to go right in between you two. I can't wait to brew this up. One more question though, is there any reason you didn't use vanilla extract from the bottle rather than using an actual vanilla bean?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #94
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the response guys! For my 5 gallon batch, I decided to go right in between you two. I can't wait to brew this up. One more question though, is there any reason you didn't use vanilla extract from the bottle rather than using an actual vanilla bean?
You can use vanilla bean if you like, I made the extract with real vanilla beans. It gives you more control over the flavor because you can add/swirl/taste.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #95
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I used store bought (Trader Joe's) bourbon vanilla extract at kegging. It was fantastic. Just make sure you use pure vanilla extract and not imitation.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:03 PM   #96
LazyPasta
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Thanks a lot guys..I appreciate it. I'll be brewing this on Saturday and I'll let you know what the initial taste tests are like!!!

Old 08-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #97
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys..I appreciate it. I'll be brewing this on Saturday and I'll let you know what the initial taste tests are like!!!
Awesome! I will say, it won't be as 'pumpkiny' until bottling/kegging when you add the additional spice so don't be alarmed.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:17 PM   #98
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I second that! It will "taste pumpkin-y," but won't have the right aroma yet because it gets blown off during fermentation. Once you add the spices/vanilla at kegging/bottling it all comes together!

Old 08-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #99
barnhs
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGruber
I used store bought (Trader Joe's) bourbon vanilla extract at kegging. It was fantastic. Just make sure you use pure vanilla extract and not imitation.
I'm gong to try this. Instead of using store bought, I'm going to make my own. But I'm going to soak the bourbon vanilla beans (from Madagascar) in bourbon (from Makers Mark) instead of vodka. Not sure how much flavor this will add, but can't possibly be bed, can it?

Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM   #100
jwible204
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnhs View Post
I'm gong to try this. Instead of using store bought, I'm going to make my own. But I'm going to soak the bourbon vanilla beans (from Madagascar) in bourbon (from Makers Mark) instead of vodka. Not sure how much flavor this will add, but can't possibly be bed, can it?
The bourbon will add flavor, but it really depends on how much you put in. My suggestion would be to add/stir/taste until it's where you want it.

Quick Reply