Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/)
-   -   Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/imperial-pumpkin-pie-ale-200122/)

jwible204 10-11-2010 05:48 PM

Imperial Pumpkin Pie Ale
 
34.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 89.5 %
4.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.5 %
2.00 oz Magnum [13.10%] (60 min) Hops 36.2 IBU
1.00 oz Sterling [6.00%] (10 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
4.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Spice Additions - 1.0 heaping tsp of the following added @ 5 minutes -
nutmeg, cloves, alspice, ginger, cinnamon

At bottling - 1.25 tsp of Pumpkin Pie spice was added per 5 gallons as well as
~4 oz of real vanilla extract


Everyone who has tried this beer has absolutely loved it so I thought I'd share.

http://imgur.com/mAnZI.jpg

Bowtiebrewery 10-11-2010 06:10 PM

looks extremely simple... Simple being a good thing How long did you condition for?

jwible204 10-11-2010 06:12 PM

After 3 weeks they were already tasting fantastic in the bottles. I'm at about 6 weeks from bottling and it is still getting better. I'm quite surprised how smooth it is at 9% ABV after such a short time.

Moody_Copperpot 10-14-2010 04:27 PM

If I wanted to try this as a five gallon batch, is it as simple as cutting the recipe in half?
Would you compare this to Souther Tier Pumking?

jwible204 10-14-2010 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moody_Copperpot (Post 2337183)
If I wanted to try this as a five gallon batch, is it as simple as cutting the recipe in half?
Would you compare this to Souther Tier Pumking?

yes, just cut the recipe/spice additions in half. also, it started out as a Pumking clone, but didn't really achieve that 'cake' like flavor of Pumking, it's more of a 'Pie' flavor.

at any rate, i built the recipe from the Pumking malts/hops so in that respect it's close.

redXstripe 10-14-2010 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwible204 (Post 2337281)
yes, just cut the recipe/spice additions in half. also, it started out as a Pumking clone, but didn't really achieve that 'cake' like flavor of Pumking, it's more of a 'Pie' flavor.

at any rate, i built the recipe from the Pumking malts/hops so in that respect it's close.

J-

I'm a huge Pumking fan! I'm so excited to try this!

I noticed you opted not to go with the canned pumpkin as mentioned on the bottle. Do you think that could help add to the "cake" texture of the beer?

Also, can anyone help me out with converting this to extract?

Cheers!

HeavyBrew 10-14-2010 07:13 PM

Pumking is one of my favorite beers. Looks like you did a great job making your own Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Very nice. When you add those spices at bottling, don't you get that into your bottles? Or does in just sink to the bottom of your bottling bucket?

jwible204 10-14-2010 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redXstripe (Post 2337509)
J-

I'm a huge Pumking fan! I'm so excited to try this!

I noticed you opted not to go with the canned pumpkin as mentioned on the bottle. Do you think that could help add to the "cake" texture of the beer?

Also, can anyone help me out with converting this to extract?

Cheers!

not sure on the conversion. i'd probably go with a bunch of Pale Extract and then some Crystal 20 for color/flavor.

jwible204 10-14-2010 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyBrew (Post 2337632)
Pumking is one of my favorite beers. Looks like you did a great job making your own Imperial Pumpkin Ale. Very nice. When you add those spices at bottling, don't you get that into your bottles? Or does in just sink to the bottom of your bottling bucket?

i'm thinking they sunk and/or dissolved because there definitely isn't any floating around the glass or anything.

Moody_Copperpot 10-15-2010 11:22 AM

Fantastic! I'm excited to try this out. What is the benefit of having it sit longer in the primary vs. the secondary? Just curious because I've more often seen it the other way around.
redXstripe, I have been an extract brewer for a while and just discovered how to become an all grain brewer for less than $100. Search "cooler MLT" on here ;)
If you don't feel like doing that right now, download the free trial of http://beersmith.com/ it'll convert it for you.


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:43 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.