Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-31-2011, 02:04 PM   #61
WiseEyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbackpacker View Post
Here is what Mark Hunger, Manager of Brewing and Quality Control said to me on October 5, 2009 in regards to Christmas ale:

Honey, ginger, and cinnamon are all added in the boil. We use enough honey to raise the O.G. by about 2 degrees Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseEyes
Do you think that the honey goes in the secondary rather than flame out at the brewry
I asked them that but they wont tell me.
Thanks, this site is awesome...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2011, 02:09 PM   #62
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
Just checked mine after a week in primary and the gravity was at 1.012 (my starting gravity was 1.064). BTW, these numbers are spot on for what Beersmith said. Should I wait to secondary it for another week or pull it now? I don't want the gravity to go down any further.
I would pull it now if you don't want the gravity to go down much further.. By pulling it of the yeast cake you will slow down Fermentation. If you can it might be beneficial to cold condition it as well.

Old 10-31-2011, 02:28 PM   #63
kpr121
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseEyes View Post
I would pull it now if you don't want the gravity to go down much further.. By pulling it of the yeast cake you will slow down Fermentation. If you can it might be beneficial to cold condition it as well.
You cant exactly stop fermentation by pulling it off the yeast cake. There will still be yeast left in suspension that will eat away. Additionally you are asking for trouble by attempting to stop fermentation if you are planning on bottling. The yeast will pick back up and you have bombs on your hands.

Best to let it go where it will go. You fix FG by proper mashing techniques and proper yeast selection and pitch rates.

Bottled:
Bulk Aging:
Up Next: ???? Suggestions?

Old 10-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #64
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseEyes View Post
Thanks, this site is awesome...
You're welcome!

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 10-31-2011, 08:42 PM   #65
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpr121 View Post
So looks like this isnt going to be as much of a clone as I thought. Only had 10 lbs of pale malt (I do 10 gallons batches), so I had to substitute. Added 5 lbs of Munich and 2 lbs of light DME to get to 1.073. I think I should have dropped the crystal but its already been crushed and mixed so I'm stuck with it. Sparge is heating now.

Even if its not a GL Christmas, I think it should make a nice malty festive beer!
Sounds good to me!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:16 PM   #66
neoterics
Recipes 

Default honey

What style of honey are you guys using? Orange Blossom, Clover, Raw?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:00 PM   #67
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Just transferred to secondary after 10 days (my gravity was getting too low) and the taste was great! I'm leary about adding more spice for fear of overdoing it, so I think I'll leave it as is.

WiseEyes, I've never cold conditioned before. When should I drop the temp in my fermenter, and to what temp?

Old 11-02-2011, 02:23 PM   #68
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
Just transferred to secondary after 10 days (my gravity was getting too low) and the taste was great! I'm leary about adding more spice for fear of overdoing it, so I think I'll leave it as is.

WiseEyes, I've never cold conditioned before. When should I drop the temp in my fermenter, and to what temp?
Its dependent upon the yeast strain, but with nearly all ale yeasts if you get it into the forties your going to significantly slow if not completely stop fermentation and this will also clear your beer 2 or 3 weeks at those temperatures really helps my beers clear up

Old 11-03-2011, 04:55 PM   #69
CADragon
Recipes 

How are people processing the ginger? I'm thinking of using a "hop bag" for the ginger and cinnamon to make it easy to separate. Should the ginger be sliced? chopped? micro-planed?

Old 11-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #70
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADragon View Post
How are people processing the ginger? I'm thinking of using a "hop bag" for the ginger and cinnamon to make it easy to separate. Should the ginger be sliced? chopped? micro-planed?
I actually quartered and crushed the ginger in mine. And I did indeed use a hop bag to facilitate removal of the ginger. The sticks I just threw in as they were easy enough to find, and did not pose a hazard of being drawn through the ball valve into the fermenter!

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Quick Reply