Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 AM   #31
dannerdave
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

How do you keep the cinnamon sticks and ginger seperate from the hops?

I have always used a bag to strain out the hops once it cools and transfer from the boil to the fermenter. With my process, the spices would get caught in the bag.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 AM   #32
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

So you just keep the cinnamon and ginger in there for both primary and secondary fermentation, correct?

dannerdave, I use hop bags for my hop additions. You can pull the bags out when the wort is cooled and just transfer the spices to the primary.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #33
Q2XL
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I did what the recipe states...added the spices to the secondary. I added the spices last Thursday(13th), and will leave them on there for 10-14 days. I never secondary unless for dry-hopping or adding spices.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 AM   #34
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Q2XL the OP recipe states that the spices are in secondary and 5 min. I'm taking that to mean that they are put in the boil at 5 min left and remain in the wort through secondary. I'm curious to hear how yours turns out. Will the spices lose character bing in the brew that long?

Old 10-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #35
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do you think that the honey goes in the secondary rather than flame out at the brewry

Old 10-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #36
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkbrew View Post
Q2XL the OP recipe states that the spices are in secondary and 5 min. I'm taking that to mean that they are put in the boil at 5 min left and remain in the wort through secondary. I'm curious to hear how yours turns out. Will the spices lose character bing in the brew that long?
I put my spices in at flameout, then add more in "secondary." Taste it, see how the spices are mingling. You might prefer more or less. The only way to know is to taste it.

As for the honey. I add at flameout. You can also add after primary ferm is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Palmer
"Honey contains wild yeasts and bacteria, but it's low water content keeps these microorganisms dormant. Honey also contains amylase enzymes, which can break down larger sugars and starches into fermentable sugars like maltose and sucrose. For these reasons, honey should be pasteurized before adding it to the fermenter. The National Honey Board recommends that honey be pasteurized for 30 minutes at 176 F, then cooled and diluted to wort gravity. To retain the most honey flavor and ensure best fermentation performance, the honey should be added to the fermenter after primary fermentation."

Old 10-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #37
Q2XL
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxam View Post
You can also add after primary ferm is complete.
But, fermentation will start again and the honey will then ferment out, so do not bottle right away or you will have bottle bombs.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM   #38
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mash tun is temperature conditioning and I'm ready to try this out. BrewSmith is calling for a mash temp of 148* for 75 mins. I'll try for between 148 and 152.

Old 10-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #39
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Mash temp started at 149* and after 70 min. now at 146*. Is that too low?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:24 PM   #40
Blackhawkbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Good brewday! All my temps and measurements came out perfect according to Brewsmith. A question I had though is that why is the OG from Brewsmith so much lower than the OP's? The OG from Brewsmith is 1.063 but the OP's gravity is 1.075! That's a big difference, not that I'm complaining. Sample smells and tastes great though.

Quick Reply