Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #321
bg1414
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

so you had no off flavors from boiling the ginger and cinnamon 60 minutes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2013, 07:33 PM   #322
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg1414 View Post
so you had no off flavors from boiling the ginger and cinnamon 60 minutes?
Nope...

Old 11-01-2013, 03:04 PM   #323
Nicegirl
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Brewed

I brewed this recipe almost 5 weeks ago and just racked it from primary to secondary last weekend. It had a fantastic aroma to it and the S.G. at racking put it at about 7.3% ABV. Truly a winter warmer for sure!
Going to give it 2 weeks in secondary and then put it into cold storage for the last 2 weeks of the secondary period to help "round off the edges" a bit and to cold crash it in preparation of bottling the weekend of 11/24. Can't wait to try it!

Old 11-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #324
tyrus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I brewed this beer 2 weeks ago. Kept in the primary for one week. The sample did not impart much of any cinnamon/ginger character that the christmas ale has. Boiled 4 cinnamon sticks and 1 oz of ginger together in about 8 ounces of purified water then let it cool to room temperature (70°), strained it through a fine mesh sack, added the tea from the ginger and cinnamon and then added the raw ginger and cinnamon sticks to the fermenter and let ferment for another week. Very strong ginger and cinnamon character! I enjoy the flavor as it is much closer to the original christmas ale. If the ginger and cinnamon additions to the secondary were cut in half if would probably be excellent. I enjoy the spicy character though. I'm sure the flavors will mellow after a couple of weeks in the keezer. Good recipe overall.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:02 PM   #325
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrus View Post
I brewed this beer 2 weeks ago. Kept in the primary for one week. The sample did not impart much of any cinnamon/ginger character that the christmas ale has. Boiled 4 cinnamon sticks and 1 oz of ginger together in about 8 ounces of purified water then let it cool to room temperature (70°), strained it through a fine mesh sack, added the tea from the ginger and cinnamon and then added the raw ginger and cinnamon sticks to the fermenter and let ferment for another week. Very strong ginger and cinnamon character! I enjoy the flavor as it is much closer to the original christmas ale. If the ginger and cinnamon additions to the secondary were cut in half if would probably be excellent. I enjoy the spicy character though. I'm sure the flavors will mellow after a couple of weeks in the keezer. Good recipe overall.
Did you boil the cinnamon and ginger for the full 60 minutes and if so, how much did you use of each? I've brewed this recipe several times and have had to cut back on my ginger from over an oz. the first time I brewed it to around 3/4 oz and I get a very nice balance of cinnamon, ginger and honey.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #326
tyrus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I didn't do the full 60 minute boil with the cinnamon and ginger. I followed the original recipe that had a 15 minute boil time on the ginger and cinnamon. I would definitely do the full 60 minute boil next time with the cinnamon and ginger.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:13 AM   #327
Flipadelphia
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 3

What OG should I be shooting for before the honey? I'm assuming I shouldn't be aiming for 1.075 with just grain alone. Beersmith doesn't have a honey option so I don't know what OG to shoot for in BS.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:50 PM   #328
Squad1Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Anyone ever use Honey Malt in this recipe? I like the idea of honey flavor coming through more and this seems to be the ticket.

I will be brewing this in the next couple of weeks (once I get my fermentation chamber up and running).

Bottled:Great Lake's Christmas Ale, Orange Hefeweizen, Special Bitter

Old 07-31-2014, 08:40 PM   #329
DPlan00
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad1Guy View Post
Anyone ever use Honey Malt in this recipe? I like the idea of honey flavor coming through more and this seems to be the ticket.

I will be brewing this in the next couple of weeks (once I get my fermentation chamber up and running).
I have brewed this twice. The second year, I substituted the real honey for 1% Honey Malt. I liked the first year with the real honey better. Not because I could taste it, but because the beer with the honey malt didn't dry out enough. The honey malt made the beer seem sweeter. I suppose that's the point of honey malt, but maybe I should've cut the Crystal Malt a bit. I liked the real honey because the fermentable sugar in the honey helped to dry the beer out.

It finished at 1.014 with the real honey. With the Honey Malt and no real honey it finished at 1.023. Both beers were fermented with Wyeast 1318, London Ale III because that's what they had when I made it the first time, and I liked it. Thinking about giving the regular London Ale yeast a go this year. I read that it has a higher attenuation.

I am going to try again, but will add the honey to the fermenter. I know, it will also get completely consumed, right?

Old 08-26-2014, 06:11 PM   #330
Squad1Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default 2014 Batch!

I just finished brewing up my 2014 batch of Christmas ale. I made a few changes based on ingredients on hand: Subbed Victory for the Special Roast (only to discover I had a bag of Special Roast at home ) and used blackberry honey (because I had a pound of it lying around). I also used S-04 since I have gotten pretty fond of using dry yeast lately and it was suggested as a good alternate yeast. Brew day went pretty well, although my pre-boil gravity was a bit low (so I tossed on 3/4# of dry pilsen extract...which I had lying around...). I also tried wrapping a blanket around my pot to hold temps, but it didn't work very well....dropped from 154F to 150F over the hour so this year's will be a little drier. You can also see the volume markings (in Pic #2) I etched on my brew kettle earlier this year.

So I guess my attempt this year will be based off of the OP's recipe Also new this year: BIAB bags from Wilserbrewer and A fermentation chamber with an STC 1000 temp controller. (Which is SO nice! I pitched my yeast at 76F, popped it into the chamber and went to bed. In the morning the temp was a cool 64F and holding steady!) Wort smelled AMAZING!!!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140825_201003.jpg (128.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20140825_215630.jpg (125.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20140826_135209.jpg (96.8 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg 20140826_135304.jpg (126.8 KB, 46 views)
Bottled:Great Lake's Christmas Ale, Orange Hefeweizen, Special Bitter

Quick Reply