Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #311
elatowski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Can anyone assist us extract brewers and confirm that the conversion on page2 is still accurate and not in need of any updating? I've seen little in the way of replies by those brewing the extract recipe and want to make the best version possible.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #312
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by elatowski View Post
Can anyone assist us extract brewers and confirm that the conversion on page2 is still accurate and not in need of any updating? I've seen little in the way of replies by those brewing the extract recipe and want to make the best version possible.
I don't know about any updating but that is the recipe I used when I was still extract brewing. The only suggestion I would have is regarding the addition of the cinnamon and ginger and the amounts.

First of all, cut back on the ginger by about a 1/2 oz making it about 3/4 oz.

Second of all, I would suggest placing the cinnamon and ginger into a hop sock and add it for the entire 60 minute boil.

This was a good brew but it is not an exact clone of GL's Christmas Ale. Also, when I brewed it, I think I was still going with the full amount of ginger (1.25 oz) which may have thrown it off a bit as well.

Old 10-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #313
RMP
Recipes 

I brewed the extract version last year and agree with MMJfan. The ginger is too strong in the extract recipe as written. The color is also way off, but I think that's due to the liquid extract and I'm not sure there's much you can do to correct for it. Mine turned out dark brown rather than a nice reddish color of the GL.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #314
elatowski
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

My main concern is how the hop schedules differ. The AG version has only two additions, Cascade at 60min and Hallertau at 10min. The extract version has the aroma and bittering hops flip flopped and also has two extra additions of Cascade. The extract version also incorporates Crystal 60L and an additional .5 lb of honey, whereas the AG recipe does not.

Old 10-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #315
RMP
Recipes 

Here is the exact extract recipe that I used last year. Like I said, I'd adjust the ginger down, but otherwise leave everything else the same. You won't get the color right, but I think that's inevitable. Adding most of the liquid extract late or at flame out might help.

I did a full boil that resulted in a 5 gallon batch. You can adjust the hop additions depending on the AA of your hops, but basically you want your final product to come out at 30IBU.

Fermentables:
9.3lb gold LME
0.6lb wheat DME
1lb Crystal 40 (steep)
.25lb Special Roast (steep)
.08lb Roasted Barley (steep)
1.25 lb Honey (Flame out)

Hops:
1.8oz Hallertauer (60 min)
1.3oz Cascade (10 min)
0.7oz Cascade (5min)

Other:
2 Cinnamon Stick (boil 60.0 min)
1. oz Ginger (boil 60.0 min)

Yeast:
Wyeast 1028

Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #316
MMJfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elatowski View Post
My main concern is how the hop schedules differ. The AG version has only two additions, Cascade at 60min and Hallertau at 10min. The extract version has the aroma and bittering hops flip flopped and also has two extra additions of Cascade. The extract version also incorporates Crystal 60L and an additional .5 lb of honey, whereas the AG recipe does not.
I also forgot to note another thing I found when I emailed Great Lakes last year about cloning X-Mas ale. When they emailed me back, they did tell me that they use 3 hop additions with Hallertau being their first two additions and Cascade being their 3rd addition.

When I found this out, I changed my hop schedule to the following:

1.5 oz Hallertau (4.3%) (60 min)
1.5 oz Hallertau (4.3%) (30 min)
1.0 oz Cascade (5.0%) (5 min)

Some have noted above that the GL website now lists Mt. Hood as their bittering hop, so take that fwiw. I've chosen to continue to use Hallertau for my recipe.

As for the extract incorporating 50L and an additional .5 lb of honey, I have no idea what the line of thinking is there.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #317
elatowski
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info

Old 10-19-2013, 04:17 AM   #318
jimyson
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Have the all ready for the morning. I will be using Mt Hood for bittering and WLP013. Looking forward to this one.

beer

Old 10-19-2013, 03:38 PM   #319
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I also forgot to note another thing I found when I emailed Great Lakes last year about cloning X-Mas ale. When they emailed me back, they did tell me that they use 3 hop additions with Hallertau being their first two additions and Cascade being their 3rd addition.

When I found this out, I changed my hop schedule to the following:

1.5 oz Hallertau (4.3%) (60 min)
1.5 oz Hallertau (4.3%) (30 min)
1.0 oz Cascade (5.0%) (5 min)

Some have noted above that the GL website now lists Mt. Hood as their bittering hop, so take that fwiw. I've chosen to continue to use Hallertau for my recipe.

As for the extract incorporating 50L and an additional .5 lb of honey, I have no idea what the line of thinking is there.
I'm about to brew this now. Did you brew with this hops schedule? How did it turn out?

Old 10-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #320
MMJfan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
I'm about to brew this now. Did you brew with this hops schedule? How did it turn out?
Yes. When Great Lakes told me about using 3 hop additions of Hallertau and Cascade I decided to change up my hop additions to what I posted above.

And IMHO I feel like it tuned out great.

Quick Reply