Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #291
bradford0113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP View Post
I starting thinking about this today. Building on the mistakes I made last time, I'd like to brew it again this year to be ready around early November when the real stuff hits the market. I just looked at the beer profile and the hops listed are Mt. Hood and Cascade. Maybe they've changed for this year's batch?

Mt. Hood: U.S. Provides subtle spicy and earthy aromas
Cascade: Used as an aroma hop; citrusy aroma complements beer’s heavy spices

The way it's written makes me think Mt. Hood is the 60 minute addition and Cascade goes in <10 minutes. Anyone have a take on this?
I've been thinking lately about this years batch of this recipe and have this same question. Has anyone looked into this? The profile on the Great Lakes site lists Mt Hood and Cascade and leads one to believe that the Mt Hood is the main hop addition and the Cascade is the late hop addition. I'd like to give it a try but I'm not sure what the total IBUs of each should be. Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #292
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
I starting thinking about this today. Building on the mistakes I made last time, I'd like to brew it again this year to be ready around early November when the real stuff hits the market. I just looked at the beer profile and the hops listed are Mt. Hood and Cascade. Maybe they've changed for this year's batch?

Mt. Hood: U.S. Provides subtle spicy and earthy aromas
Cascade: Used as an aroma hop; citrusy aroma complements beer’s heavy spices

The way it's written makes me think Mt. Hood is the 60 minute addition and Cascade goes in <10 minutes. Anyone have a take on this?
It looks like they must have replaced the Hallertau with Mt. Hood? IMHO, the AG batch I made of this last winter was so damn good I'm just going to stick with the Hallertau. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Old 09-06-2013, 11:14 PM   #293
jaydog2314
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 152

In the boil as we speak. Smells amazing! I was a little high pre boil gravity but the ginger and cinnamon smell amazing. I'm also moving the hallertau to 15 to get closer to 30 IBUs otherwise following the original recipe pretty closely.

Secondary: RIS(aging port wine soaked oak spirals); Oktoberfast; Winter Warmer
Up Next: Coffee Porter
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

Old 09-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #294
adamg8504
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this yesterday and hit 1.079 with just under 6 gallons in my carboy. I pitched two packs of wyeasy 1028 since I didn't have time to make an appropriate starter. Fermentation started about 3 hours later and now...about 11 hours later there is a little krausen (about an 1" or 2") and it is steadily bubbling. I kind of figured it would have been going crazy by now but it isn't. I suppose it is fine.

I pitched the yeast when the wort was about 72F and ambient is 66F. The temp strip on my carboy now reads about 70F. Hopefully it's alright. This is my most expensive batch yet! Honey plus 2 packs of yeast isn't cheap!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #295
RMP
Recipes 

My biggest problem with this has been that it's way too heavy on the ginger. I've actually brewed another beer with a much lower amount if ginger and same problem...

Last time I boiled it for 60 minutes and left it in the primary. I'm wondering if this is the source if my trouble. Are you guys putting this in a boiling bag of else fishing out the ginger after the boil?

Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 PM   #296
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
My biggest problem with this has been that it's way too heavy on the ginger. I've actually brewed another beer with a much lower amount if ginger and same problem...

Last time I boiled it for 60 minutes and left it in the primary. I'm wondering if this is the source if my trouble. Are you guys putting this in a boiling bag of else fishing out the ginger after the boil?
I thought it was too strong on the ginger as well until I let it sit for 2 months and then it was fantastic! You can back down on the ginger for your tastes, and then if you need more later just make a "tea" in the microwave and add to keg or bottling bucket.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #297
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts

I actually cut down the ginger a bit and put it in a bag, didn't transfer it to the primary- turned out to be just enough for me

Old 09-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #298
theck
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Is this closer to the orig recipe (ie thirsty dog's)? Looking to brew that one not the GL one, not a huge fan of their beers really. Last year I heard that Heinens was doing taste tests between GL xmas and 12 dogs. I think it was almost 8-9/10 each time for 12 dogs. We did our own test last year and we too had 8/10 to 12 dogs. I think it's a way better beer. Anyone try the Troggs Mad Elf, wow that was good as well, be careful how many you drink though it can really catch up to you.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #299
Bramstoker17
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 41

So how long are people putting the spices in for? It says for the full 60 on page one, have people been getting good results with that?

My recipes at Brewtoad:
http://brewtoad.com/users/28920/recipes
My brew blog for my homebrewery, White Pointer Brewery:
http://whitepointerbrewery.wordpress.com/

Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #300
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramstoker17 View Post
So how long are people putting the spices in for? It says for the full 60 on page one, have people been getting good results with that?
I emailed the brewery last year and they told me that they put the spices in for the entire 60 minute boil. This is the only way I've brewed this and I have been VERY pleased with the results...

Quick Reply