Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #281
WiseEyes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK616 View Post
Thanks for the help and the explanation! It now makes sense. Also, thanks for letting me know about the timeframe; I was thinking it needed some time to age but knowing that 20 weeks is optimal is quite helpful.
Like I said, you don't really need 20 weeks, Hell I have drank it grain to glass in 8 weeks, but in my experience 4 weeks primary and and keg and let it naturally carb up for 4 months and it is really really good. Dare I say better than the original.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #282
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

couple of vanilla beans in secondary or not? can't decide. I like the taste of mine currently but I like to experiment

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #283
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I dont know if vanilla bean fits the existing spice flavor profile

Old 07-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #284
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Alright. Didn't end up racking onto vanilla. This tastes pretty good so far, I decided to ditch the honey due to bad experiences, but I think the honey would definitely be a big part of this beer and would probably taste a lot better.

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 07-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #285
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggers_nz View Post
Alright. Didn't end up racking onto vanilla. This tastes pretty good so far, I decided to ditch the honey due to bad experiences, but I think the honey would definitely be a big part of this beer and would probably taste a lot better.
Yeah I believe the honey really makes this beer IMO. I tend to dump it in right at the end of the boil to make sure it gets mixed in well but still preserves that honey taste. Others put it in at the beginning of the boil and some even wait to dump it into the primary or secondary, all just personal preference. But I do believe this beer needs that honey included in the recipe.
MMJfan Likes This 
Old 07-19-2013, 06:21 AM   #286
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

if anything, I would put it in at 10min as honey contains a lot of bacteria.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #287
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Yeah I believe the honey really makes this beer IMO. I tend to dump it in right at the end of the boil to make sure it gets mixed in well but still preserves that honey taste. Others put it in at the beginning of the boil and some even wait to dump it into the primary or secondary, all just personal preference. But I do believe this beer needs that honey included in the recipe.

Agreed in both parts of your post. The honey definitely makes this beer IMO and I too dump my honey in at the end of the boil.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #288
RMP
Recipes 

I starting thinking about this today. Building on the mistakes I made last time, I'd like to brew it again this year to be ready around early November when the real stuff hits the market. I just looked at the beer profile and the hops listed are Mt. Hood and Cascade. Maybe they've changed for this year's batch?

Mt. Hood: U.S. Provides subtle spicy and earthy aromas
Cascade: Used as an aroma hop; citrusy aroma complements beer’s heavy spices

The way it's written makes me think Mt. Hood is the 60 minute addition and Cascade goes in <10 minutes. Anyone have a take on this?

Old 07-30-2013, 02:03 PM   #289
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
Thanks for sharing that info MMJfan. I think I will do this same exact method when I brew it for next winter. I really like the idea of boiling the ginger and cinnamon for the entire time, just sounds like the flavors could meld together even more.
Sippin, you will also be very pleased at the smell of the wort as it is boiling. I've made Thunderstruck's Pumpkin Ale recipe and I thought that brew smelled good in the boil, but this is absolutely the best smelling brew in the boil that I've made to date. I literally stand over the kettle and just keep taking big whiffs because it smells so damn good!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #290
jaydog2314
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Still reading thru all the posts but I'm starting to plan/think holiday brews. Just curious what the time frame is grain to glass? I assume this needs quite a few weeks in the bottle? Thx and sorry that was addressed already haven't gotten thru the whole thread.

Secondary: RIS(aging port wine soaked oak spirals); Coffee Porter w/Vanilla Beans
Up Next: Belgian Amber
untappd: hopheavy2314
Canal Brewing Co:
Facebook Twitter Untappd

Quick Reply