Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 03:24 PM   #271
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I added the honey at flameout and I could definitely taste the honey in this brew. It was subtle but I could tell it was there. I loved it for that exact reason, subtle but noticeable.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 PM   #272
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37 View Post
I added the honey at flameout and I could definitely taste the honey in this brew. It was subtle but I could tell it was there. I loved it for that exact reason, subtle but noticeable.
My first attempt at this recipe (AG) is still in my fermentor and should be ready to bottle this weekend. However, I have made two batches doing extract with a recipe similar to this one and I too have added honey at flameout both times and I too could tell it was there. Not overpowering but noticeable and very good.

EDIT: I decided to go ahead and take a gravity reading today as this thread piqued my interest on how my first attempt at this AG recipe turned out. Gravity reading was about 1.016 after an OG of 1.068 so I'm happy about that. But what I am most happy about is how this thing tastes! This was a close as you could come to being the real thing! I thought my extract version of this brew turned out pretty good and this bacth absolutely kick's the ass of my last two extract versions of this recipe! I can't wait to bottle this brew and start drinking it!

Btw, I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I cut back on the amount of ginger I used. I was told by someone at Great Lakes that they use equal parts of ginger and cinnamon. So in my first attempts at brewing this I used 1.25 oz of ginger and 1.25 oz of cinnamon sticks. For this AG batch, I cut the ginger back to just .75 oz and kept the cinnamon sticks at 1.25 oz and I really think that is a good ratio. Oh, and I steeped the ginger and cinnamon in a muslin hop sack for the entire 60 minute boil and into the cooling stage and removed them when I racked to my fermenting bucket which was also recommended by Great Lakes...
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #273
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post

Btw, I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I cut back on the amount of ginger I used. I was told by someone at Great Lakes that they use equal parts of ginger and cinnamon. So in my first attempts at brewing this I used 1.25 oz of ginger and 1.25 oz of cinnamon sticks. For this AG batch, I cut the ginger back to just .75 oz and kept the cinnamon sticks at 1.25 oz and I really think that is a good ratio. Oh, and I steeped the ginger and cinnamon in a muslin hop sack for the entire 60 minute boil and into the cooling stage and removed them when I racked to my fermenting bucket which was also recommended by Great Lakes...
Thanks for sharing that info MMJfan. I think I will do this same exact method when I brew it for next winter. I really like the idea of boiling the ginger and cinnamon for the entire time, just sounds like the flavors could meld together even more.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #274
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Three months later...this is really coming around. Thanks for recipe

Old 01-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #275
Trophy_Brew21
Recipes 

I brewed this about 14 months ago, as my first batch by myself. I was a little nervous when it was first completed, as it didn't taste like the first time I had the actual beer. But now, I love it! It tastes amazing, but I only have 4 bottles left, and wished I had more. So I am going to age these, until next christmas!

I Love Beer!

Old 03-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #276
Squad1Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I just finished off my last bottle This was a great beer and I can't wait to do it again next year! Thanks!!!

Bottled:Great Lake's Christmas Ale, Orange Hefeweizen, Special Bitter
MMJfan Likes This 
Old 03-12-2013, 08:27 PM   #277
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

My supply is dwindling as well... Mine too was a great beer, but I'm not ready to look forward to the cold months of winter just yet. I'm going to enjoy the spring and summer as long as I can (if it ever gets here...)?!

Old 06-02-2013, 04:28 AM   #278
AK616
Recipes 

Long time reader, first time poster and I hope it is ok that I have resurrected this thread. I have probably read and re-read this thread 3 times to make sure that I didn't skip over information that might have rendered this post useless (it probably is anyways). I want to convert this recipe to a Partial Mash recipe and brew it once before the Holiday Season so that I can fine tune it. Being from Cleveland and living in Miami, where we don't get Great Lakes's beers, I need something, other than LeBron, to bring me home for the holidays. However, I am wondering if the recipe that I have put together is converted properly. I have looked at this recipe, read this article, and looked over Ken Schwartz's paper but am still wondering if what I have put together is correct.

Here it is:
Recipe Type: Partial Mash
Yeast: WLP013
Yeast Starter: Basic
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.018
IBU: 32.82
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 11.6

5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US 44.1 %
4.00 lb Dry Malt Extract 35.3%
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L 8.8 %
1.00 lb Wheat Malt 8.8 %
0.25 lb Special Roast 2.2 %
0.08 lb Roasted Barley 0.7%

Cascade (60 min) 27 IBU
Mt. Hood (10 min) 3 IBU

2 Cinnamon Stick (boil 60.0 min) Misc
1. oz Ginger Root (boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.25 lb Honey (Flame out) Sugar 9.20 %
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #028/ WLP013) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Original Gravity: 1.074
Final Gravity: 1.018
Alcohol by Vol: 7.26 %
32.82 IBU
11.91 SRM C

Now I know that the IBUs are a bit high but am more concerned with the way in which the percentages of the grains changed as I add malt extract. Is this normal? Does the recipe look correct.

Also, I went to Great Lakes's website and noticed that they specify Mt. Hood hops. As they are a "descendant" of the Hallertau family it probably doesn't matter, but thought it might be worth noting.

Thank you for all of the help.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #279
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have brewed this recipe 4 times and preparing to brew this again in a few weeks for x-mas season. This beer is very drinkable in 8-12 weeks but is much better with about 20 weeks or so of aging.

As for your recipe, the difference in percentages is because the percentages you are working with are by weight and not gravity points. DME has more diastic potential than the same weight of malted barley. I think your recipe looks good although I have found that I back off the cinnamon as I just don't like the taste of cinnamon all that much.

I used hallertau in mine the last time believe, but any bittering hop would work. I like it with a little higher IBU because it balances it all out a little bit i think.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #280
AK616
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseEyes View Post
I have brewed this recipe 4 times and preparing to brew this again in a few weeks for x-mas season. This beer is very drinkable in 8-12 weeks but is much better with about 20 weeks or so of aging.

As for your recipe, the difference in percentages is because the percentages you are working with are by weight and not gravity points. DME has more diastic potential than the same weight of malted barley. I think your recipe looks good although I have found that I back off the cinnamon as I just don't like the taste of cinnamon all that much.

I used hallertau in mine the last time believe, but any bittering hop would work. I like it with a little higher IBU because it balances it all out a little bit i think.
Thanks for the help and the explanation! It now makes sense. Also, thanks for letting me know about the timeframe; I was thinking it needed some time to age but knowing that 20 weeks is optimal is quite helpful.

Quick Reply