Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #261
MMJfan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I brewed NB's Brickwarmer which also uses Wyeast 1028. That recipe calls for sweet orange peel steeped for the last 5 minutes of the boil and I removed them when I racked the wort to primary. I'm planning on washing the yeast from that batch tonight and using it to make a starter for my next batch of this recipe.

So far, the only beers I've made with 1028 are this Christmas Ale clone and the Brickwarmer so I'm not concerned about some residual cinnamon or clove flavors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #262
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Took a sample yesterday, it tastes great! Might be the best I've brewed yet! Finished dryer at 08, but I don't think it's worse for it!

Thanks for the recipe!

image-3553544038.jpg  
Old 12-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #263
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Kegging tonight. The hydrometer samples are simply amazing. This isn't an everyday beer but it is my favorite effort overall. Thanks much for the recipe!

Old 12-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #264
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

I've had this kegged for about 2 weeks now. I rushed this one a bit and it shows. It's still very young (brewed Dec 2). I backed the ginger down to 7/8 oz but it's still pretty strong right now. The cinnamon was very faint so I added 2 sticks to the keg. I think I'll have to let this one sit for a few more weeks.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #265
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew2enjoy View Post
I've had this kegged for about 2 weeks now. I rushed this one a bit and it shows. It's still very young (brewed Dec 2). I backed the ginger down to 7/8 oz but it's still pretty strong right now. The cinnamon was very faint so I added 2 sticks to the keg. I think I'll have to let this one sit for a few more weeks.
I had way too much ginger! It backed off significantly after a few weeks in secondary but its still too strong. I just brewed another batch yesterday without the spices to mix with the first batch. Looking forward to splitting it between 2 kegs in a couple weeks. Maybe I'll save one keg for Christmas in July, lol.

Good luck,
JB

Primary #1: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH (5 one gallon test batches with different yeasts)

Primary #2: Empty

Secondary #1: Empty

Kegged: Sayers' Wild Oats - Oatmeal Stout (almost gone!)

Kegged: Sayers' Bah Humbug Brew

Up Next: Maybe a Hefe

Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #266
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I like this beer but I just mine has a really strong honey flavor. I'm not a huge honey fan and I wonder what the best way is to dial that back. A little less honey? Add the honey a little earlier in the boil?

Old 01-07-2013, 11:46 AM   #267
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcclure View Post
I like this beer but I just mine has a really strong honey flavor. I'm not a huge honey fan and I wonder what the best way is to dial that back. A little less honey? Add the honey a little earlier in the boil?
Honey should not really impart flavor to the beer. What kind did you use? What temp did you ferment at and for how long?

JB

Primary #1: Maris Otter/EKG SMaSH (5 one gallon test batches with different yeasts)

Old 01-07-2013, 11:53 AM   #268
jsmcclure
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

One pound of clover honey. Fermented at 62-64 for 21 days then kegged. Honey was added at flameout.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #269
jbsayers
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmcclure View Post
One pound of clover honey. Fermented at 62-64 for 21 days then kegged. Honey was added at flameout.
I used clove honey, too, and do not have any honey flavor in mine. Sure you're not tasting residual sweetness from the malt?

Tell us about your brew day (mash temps, gravities, etc). London Ale yeast can lend some fruitiness that might be confusing your palate. Is that possible?

JB

Old 01-07-2013, 12:51 PM   #270
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Tried mine after 12 days, was pretty decent, after 18 days it tastes like cough medicine. Waiting it out another week or two and/or hoping that was just a bad bottle?

Quick Reply