Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 06:21 PM   #251
bradford0113
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
Your hydro is off, or you picked up a bug. 1028 typically wont go that low. Not impossible but not likely. How does it taste?
I ended up bottling this last weekend with a FG of 1.006. As for taste, the ginger is very prominent right now, so it's really hard to say how this is going turn out. I'm sure it's going to be drinkable, but may not be as close to the GLCA as I was hoping. Only time will tell. It seems a little dry, but not as bad as I was expecting at this FG.

I have these carbonating and conditioning in a closet right now where the temp fluctuates between 67F and 72F. They will have been bottled for 23 days on Christmas Eve. What are my chances of this being ready to drink by then?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #252
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine has been kegged for over a month and is still very ginger heavy. Hoping it will be decent by xmas

Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #253
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I think you will be just fine. I'd say check one after 2 weeks and again at 3 weeks. Pop them into the fridge a day or two before Christmas Eve. Now I know this isn't proven to work but you can even turn each bottle upside down once or twice every week just to get the yeast moving around a little more. I got my barleywine carbed up in 3 weeks just fine when I did this. I probably should've done it to half of them and then tried one of each every week to compare.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #254
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford0113 View Post
I ended up bottling this last weekend with a FG of 1.006. As for taste, the ginger is very prominent right now, so it's really hard to say how this is going turn out. I'm sure it's going to be drinkable, but may not be as close to the GLCA as I was hoping. Only time will tell. It seems a little dry, but not as bad as I was expecting at this FG.

I have these carbonating and conditioning in a closet right now where the temp fluctuates between 67F and 72F. They will have been bottled for 23 days on Christmas Eve. What are my chances of this being ready to drink by then?
Mine finished pretty low too....1.010. I am beginning to think all my thermometers are off and I'm mashing lower then I think. My last few beers have finished dry. The beer tasted decent though, I lowered the ginger slightly to around 3/4-7/8 oz. I'll give it one more week and it's getting kegged. Just in time for Christmas

Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #255
BrunstuckyJoe
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I bottled mine yesterday....still had the clove, banana, and ginger taste going on....hopefully it tastes more like xmas ale after it bottle conditions. Still has that estery taste from the london ale yeast.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #256
blairellis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Kegged mine yesterday:

Link

Old 12-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #257
pannell77
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 18

mine bottled for about 6 months, the ginger subsided a little bit but not as much as I hoped it would. Still tasted fantastic but was more of what Southern Tier 2Xmas tastes like.

Handmade Chalkboard and Dry Erase Tap Handles

We are one of the few that offer a Black Dry Erase version tap handle and we have some of the lowest prices on the market.

Custom Idea? No problem, just shoot us an email with your thoughts and we can work it out together.

AleYeahDesign@gmail.com

My Keezer Build

Old 12-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #258
swackattack
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Added a tiny bit of cinnamon to the keg. Got it much more in line with where i wanted it. Id back down the ginger and up cinnamon in future batches.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:00 PM   #259
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack View Post
Added a tiny bit of cinnamon to the keg. Got it much more in line with where i wanted it. Id back down the ginger and up cinnamon in future batches.

This is what I'm planning on doing for my next batch of this brew. I've only made 2 batches of an extract version of this recipe and I'm going to be brewing my first attempt at this AG recipe soon. Per emails from Great Lakes, they recommended equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon. My first batch I steeped 1.5 oz of both ginger and cinnamon and it was very strong with the ginger. My second batch I knocked it back to 1.25 oz of both ginger and cinnamon and it was still overpowering with the ginger but not as much as my first batch. Both batches were still very good as my wife loves them so they must be good. That said, for my next AG batch, I think I'm going to cut the ginger back to .75 oz and keep the cinnamon at 1.25-1.5 oz. and see how that turns out.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #260
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did any of you guys wash your yeast after this batch? Not sure if an extra washing would rid the yeast of the cinnamon and ginger?

Quick Reply