Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #221
Beardo21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP
Hi Folks. I brewed the full-boil extract version of this recipe. It's been in the bottles for about 5 weeks now. I tasted it alongside a Great Lake's Christmas Ale, and while good, it's quite a bit different. The main difference is that the Great Lakes is pretty well balanced, while mine was heavy on the ginger but light on the cinnamon.

One issue is that the recipe didn't specify what to do with the ginger (throw in one big chunk, chop it, dice it, etc.). I threw in an ounce of grated ginger, which seems to have been a bit too much. I also threw in two cinnamon sticks whole.

The next time I make this I'll probably do a rough chop on the ginger and break the cinnamon into smaller pieces. Overall it's still a great result.
My batch last year turned out pretty much the same. Great taste but a just a little too much ginger. This year, I only did about 3/4 oz of ginger and did 3 cinnamon sticks. I tasted it when I was bottling and the spices were much better balanced this time around. Mine have been sitting about the same amount of time as yours. I will probably test one out today just to see where its at. Happy turkey day. Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #222
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan View Post
I mentioned this before, but I emailed Great Lakes about this recipe and their response was that they put the cinnamon and ginger in for the entire 60 minute boil and then remove them. I peel and cube my ginger and put it along with the cinnamon sticks in a hop sack and just throw it in my kettle for the entire boil fwiw...
Great info! I have emailed them pretty much every year and have never gotten this. Ill adjust the recipe to reflect it. How dod yours turn out? how much spicing did you use?

Old 11-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #223
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP View Post
Hi Folks. I brewed the full-boil extract version of this recipe. It's been in the bottles for about 5 weeks now. I tasted it alongside a Great Lake's Christmas Ale, and while good, it's quite a bit different. The main difference is that the Great Lakes is pretty well balanced, while mine was heavy on the ginger but light on the cinnamon.

One issue is that the recipe didn't specify what to do with the ginger (throw in one big chunk, chop it, dice it, etc.). I threw in an ounce of grated ginger, which seems to have been a bit too much. I also threw in two cinnamon sticks whole.

The next time I make this I'll probably do a rough chop on the ginger and break the cinnamon into smaller pieces. Overall it's still a great result.
If you read through the thread, there was a pretty big disscusion as to how to prepare the ginger. Though i see now that that has become a tedious task given the length of it. Ill adjust the recipe to specify. I just peel it and throw it in. I did the grated it nce too, and yowza! lots of ginger.

Also someone on the thread got word from the brewery that they boil the ginger and cinn for the full 60.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #224
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoz View Post
Crazy I was JUST coming to this thread to say that 4 days into ferment I leaned in to smell the airlock and got SLAMMED by a hot alcohol bomb!

Guess that is typical...I think this is the highest gravity beer I've brewed as well so that's something completely new to me...
At what temperature did your ferment? SHouldnt be an alcohol odor, though if your not accustomed to british style yeast, they can be pretty estery during fermentation. Good news is, they clean up after themselves pretty well.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:59 AM   #225
RMP
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
If you read through the thread, there was a pretty big disscusion as to how to prepare the ginger. Though i see now that that has become a tedious task given the length of it. Ill adjust the recipe to specify. I just peel it and throw it in. I did the grated it nce too, and yowza! lots of ginger.
I actually did read through the thread. There were a lot of opinions but there didn't seem to be much consensus on this question. When I cook with ginger I typically mince or grate it, so I figured that would work in this application. I was more fearful of overdoing it on the cinnamon.

In the future, I might try boiling whole pieces of ginger for 60 minutes. On other hand, I've gotten some feedback from people who've said they actually prefer my version of the Christmas Ale to the Great Lakes. I've got plenty of time to think about it.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #226
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
Great info! I have emailed them pretty much every year and have never gotten this. Ill adjust the recipe to reflect it. How dod yours turn out? how much spicing did you use?
The problem I have is that I've only brewed two batches of this and I've only added the spices for the full 60 minutes in the boil so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have been really happy with how my two batches of this have turned out though.

As for how much spicing I use, GL also told me they use equal amounts of cinnamon and ginger so I've been using 1.25 oz of both ginger and cinnamon for a 5 gallon batch. I use cinnamon sticks and I also skin and cube the ginger.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #227
BrunstuckyJoe
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I'm at 1.032 after 3 weeks in the primary....is that low enough to bottle?
Not bubbling anymore....I think I'll check again in a couple days....definitely get a estery taste.....like banana and clove right from the primary...Might rack to the carboy for a week to clear up the haze a bit before bottling.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #228
cbehr
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunstuckyJoe View Post
I'm at 1.032 after 3 weeks in the primary....is that low enough to bottle?
Not bubbling anymore....I think I'll check again in a couple days....definitely get a estery taste.....like banana and clove right from the primary...Might rack to the carboy for a week to clear up the haze a bit before bottling.
What temp did you ferment at?

Old 11-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #229
blairellis
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just brewed this recipe earlier last week. Thanks Shinglejohn for all the research that went into this. Can't wait to get it in my keg!

Thoughts and brew notes from brew day found here:
http://www.blairellis.com/2012/11/21...mas-ale-clone/

Old 11-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #230
brew2enjoy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts

I've never had any Great Lakes beers because they don't distribute around here, but I'm looking for a good Christmas ale and this one looks tasty. Might have to put this one on deck so It's ready for the holidays.

Quick Reply