Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #211
cbehr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRay11 View Post
Hi guys - we tried this a couple weeks ago and I'm ready to bottle it. Original recipe does not include priming sugar - I'm assuming there's enough left from the honey to get CO2? Can anyone help this new-to-brewing guy?

Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like I should use 4 oz. or so of priming sugar regardless, correct me if I'm wrong.
The sugar in the honey will be used during your fermentation. For 2.5 units I would probably use 4oz assuming you have about 4.5 gallons left after the trub

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #212
RUNningonbrew
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 18 Posts

The honey should have all been consumed during primary fermentation, you still need priming sugar, corn sugar, table sugar or even more honey if you'd like

Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #213
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by swackattack
Tasted decent out of hydrometer but after 4 days in the keg is full of hot alcohol. Ideas?
Crazy I was JUST coming to this thread to say that 4 days into ferment I leaned in to smell the airlock and got SLAMMED by a hot alcohol bomb!

Guess that is typical...I think this is the highest gravity beer I've brewed as well so that's something completely new to me...

Old 11-16-2012, 02:16 PM   #214
Beardo21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRay11
Hi guys - we tried this a couple weeks ago and I'm ready to bottle it. Original recipe does not include priming sugar - I'm assuming there's enough left from the honey to get CO2? Can anyone help this new-to-brewing guy?

Thanks.

EDIT: Looks like I should use 4 oz. or so of priming sugar regardless, correct me if I'm wrong.
I did a 5-gal batch of this and and used 3/4 cup of priming sugar for mine. Worked last year and so far so good this year. Just remember, it might take longer than the standard 2 weeks to carbonate in bottles because of the alcohol content. Took mine about 3 weeks to be ready last year. The longer this one sits, the more the spices will mellow. Happy brewing. Cheers.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #215
Jcoz
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I just pulled a sample.... It's sitting at 1.012.... From 1.075...not sure exactly why, mashed it pretty much on the numbers except for an adjustment period in the beginning... So I did mash it longer than expected.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #216
moomack
Recipes 

So does anyone have results for putting the cinnamon and ginger in the boil for the full 60 minutes like GL recommended? Trying to decide between that and the last 5 minutes as the recipe states.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #217
Beardo21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did last 5 mins and then transferred them to my primary.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #218
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I've done 2 extract versions of this recipe and I boiled them for 60 in both batches so I don't have anything to compare to adding the spices late in the boil. But I will say, I really like the way my extract versions came out and I'm also planning on doing a BIAB of this recipe and I'm looking forward to seeing how the AG version compares!

Old 11-21-2012, 06:25 PM   #219
RMP
Recipes 

Hi Folks. I brewed the full-boil extract version of this recipe. It's been in the bottles for about 5 weeks now. I tasted it alongside a Great Lake's Christmas Ale, and while good, it's quite a bit different. The main difference is that the Great Lakes is pretty well balanced, while mine was heavy on the ginger but light on the cinnamon.

One issue is that the recipe didn't specify what to do with the ginger (throw in one big chunk, chop it, dice it, etc.). I threw in an ounce of grated ginger, which seems to have been a bit too much. I also threw in two cinnamon sticks whole.

The next time I make this I'll probably do a rough chop on the ginger and break the cinnamon into smaller pieces. Overall it's still a great result.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #220
Squad1Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomack View Post
So does anyone have results for putting the cinnamon and ginger in the boil for the full 60 minutes like GL recommended? Trying to decide between that and the last 5 minutes as the recipe states.
I did mine with the 60 minute boil. I just cracked one open last night even thought it has only been about a week and a half since bottling (I wanted to see if it was even palatable so I could have the family try it out). Unless my memory is seriously off, my version tastes at least as good (and probably better!) than the commercial version. The spices were not too overpowering, but they were noticeable. The hops is just right at 30 IBUs in my opinion. I am going to do a side-by-side with the commercial version on Thanksgiving. All I can say that if this beer gets better with age as all the comments suggest, I am going to be ecstatic around Christmas time

Quick Reply