Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 10:53 PM   #191
Squad1Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I just brewed this about a week ago. I only made it to a gravity of 1.064, but the wort smells fantastic! Equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon stick, and wildflower honey. My IBU's were pretty spot on and the color looks great! I decided to go with WLP011 because I wanted something a bit more malty and sweet. Any comments?
The fermentation is going, but pretty slowly. My fermenter is staying around 68-70F (measured on the outside by a non-contact IR thermometer). I definitely have yeast floating on the top, so I am figuring RDWHAH

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2012, 03:52 AM   #192
BullGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm cooling my wort now and have a question (nothing like waiting till the last minute huh?). I put the cinnamon sticks and ginger around 5 min to flameout. Do they go in primary? As in, do I pull them out after I cool my wort or leave them in so they end up in the primary fermentor?

Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #193
Sippin37
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator
I'm cooling my wort now and have a question (nothing like waiting till the last minute huh?). I put the cinnamon sticks and ginger around 5 min to flameout. Do they go in primary? As in, do I pull them out after I cool my wort or leave them in so they end up in the primary fermentor?
I dont think it matters either way. Whatever is easiest for you just go with it. Some people filter out hop trub and some people put it all in the fermenter, doesnt really matter.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #194
BullGator
Feedback Score: 8 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sippin37

I dont think it matters either way. Whatever is easiest for you just go with it. Some people filter out hop trub and some people put it all in the fermenter, doesnt really matter.
I used a hop spider for the hops. I was referring specifically to the ginger and cinnamon sticks. I peeped and approximately quatered the ginger and I just threw the cinnamon sticks in whole. So after I removed the hop spider after cooling, they were the only thing in the wort. I went ahead and spooned them out as the wort was flowing into my fermenters.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #195
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

brewing this tomorrow, anyone use 1056 or s-04. I have a yeast cake of each to throw this on. Which one would you guys use and why?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #196
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Id go for the 04 but im sure either will produce a good beer!

Old 11-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #197
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Ya, thats what i was thinkin I used london ale last year and imho it was way better than last years X-mas ale

Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #198
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullGator View Post
I mentioned this before, but I emailed Great Lakes about this recipe and their response was that they put the cinnamon and ginger in for the entire 60 minute boil and then remove them. I peel and cube my ginger and put it along with the cinnamon sticks in a hop sack and just throw it in my kettle for the entire boil fwiw...

Old 11-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #199
WiseEyes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well made this Saturday to a gravity of 1.070 and put it on a s-04 cake. Instead of taking it to the basement I decided to leave it upstairs to keep the temperature in the upper 60's. Put it in the carboy at 530 and went to a wedding got home at 1:30 am and found beer all over the floor and beer on the ceiling!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #200
Squad1Guy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad1Guy View Post
I just brewed this about a week ago. I only made it to a gravity of 1.064, but the wort smells fantastic! Equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon stick, and wildflower honey. My IBU's were pretty spot on and the color looks great! I decided to go with WLP011 because I wanted something a bit more malty and sweet. Any comments?
The fermentation is going, but pretty slowly. My fermenter is staying around 68-70F (measured on the outside by a non-contact IR thermometer). I definitely have yeast floating on the top, so I am figuring RDWHAH
After 2 weeks in the primary, I checked the gravity to see how things were progressing. I was showing a gravity of 1.010, which puts me at 7.1% ABV - better than I had hoped for!

The color and clarity were beautiful, and the taste was pretty great. Cinnamon and honey dominated, ginger was pretty muted. It had a nice malt-forward taste, which is what I was looking for (and the reason I went with WLP011). I will let it go for another week and then bottle.

This is my third AG batch, and I am very happy with the results. I just have to dial in my equipment and process and I will be happy. BTW...this was a 2 gallon batch (bottling volume). Thanks for a great recipe Now I will have to buy a 6-pack of the commercial beer and compare. But based on the hydro sample, I think mine will come out on top!

Quick Reply