Originally Posted by Squad1Guy
I just brewed this about a week ago. I only made it to a gravity of 1.064, but the wort smells fantastic! Equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon stick, and wildflower honey. My IBU's were pretty spot on and the color looks great! I decided to go with WLP011 because I wanted something a bit more malty and sweet. Any comments?
The fermentation is going, but pretty slowly. My fermenter is staying around 68-70F (measured on the outside by a non-contact IR thermometer). I definitely have yeast floating on the top, so I am figuring RDWHAH
After 2 weeks in the primary, I checked the gravity to see how things were progressing. I was showing a gravity of 1.010, which puts me at 7.1% ABV - better than I had hoped for!
The color and clarity were beautiful, and the taste was pretty great. Cinnamon and honey dominated, ginger was pretty muted. It had a nice malt-forward taste, which is what I was looking for (and the reason I went with WLP011). I will let it go for another week and then bottle.
This is my third AG batch, and I am very happy with the results. I just have to dial in my equipment and process and I will be happy. BTW...this was a 2 gallon batch (bottling volume). Thanks for a great recipe
Now I will have to buy a 6-pack of the commercial beer and compare. But based on the hydro sample, I think mine will come out on top!