Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #171
dr0ker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed 10g of this Sept 1st and I came in at 1.071. Mashed @ 156. I pitched 1.5 pkgs of s04 into each bucket and figured I would bottle tomorrow (9/21). Fermentation took off and then after the first 4-5 days the airlocks settled down and haven't moved since. I forgot to check the gravity yesterday (I normally check on Wednesday then verify it hasn't moved by Friday), but I checked today and it is at 1.018. At 73% attenuation I am guessing it is done, but I haven't used s04 before. Do you think I am safe to bottle tomorrow, or should I wait and verify the gravity again in a few days?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #172
jamursch
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0ker
I brewed 10g of this Sept 1st and I came in at 1.071. Mashed @ 156. I pitched 1.5 pkgs of s04 into each bucket and figured I would bottle tomorrow (9/21). Fermentation took off and then after the first 4-5 days the airlocks settled down and haven't moved since. I forgot to check the gravity yesterday (I normally check on Wednesday then verify it hasn't moved by Friday), but I checked today and it is at 1.018. At 73% attenuation I am guessing it is done, but I haven't used s04 before. Do you think I am safe to bottle tomorrow, or should I wait and verify the gravity again in a few days?
You should be more than ok. My normal procedure is to bottle 3 weeks after brew day and haven't had any problems. I usually give 2 weeks for fermentation and then 1 week for dry hopping or just settling and then into the bottles it goes.

Make sure you calculate your priming sugar and just don't dump the whole bag in though.

Jay
Home brewing whatever I feel like since 2011

Old 09-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #173
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You should be good, thats about where you want your FG. BUt there is only one way to know for sure. Check your gravity again a couple days later. If it has not changed, your good.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #174
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Well brewed this bad boy a week ago and just took the first hydro sample. OG was 1.071 and current SG is 1.017, so right where I was hoping it to be. I followed the recipe exactly, just making adjustments to ensure the target numbers would be the same. The sample tastes pretty dang good so far. I was going to ask you Shinglejohn, does the ginger taste fade a little bit with time? Also, do you add any extra cinnamon ever? I've only had this beer once last winter, and I thought I remember seeing a bunch of cinnamon particles in suspension in the nice clear beer. I know it is really early to judge, just wondering if you've ever added extra and which method you took to do that.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll make sure to post a pic of a pint once it has really hit its stride. I plan to leave in primary for 2 more weeks and then keg and not touch it for atleast a month (we'll see how long I can keep that up!)

Old 09-25-2012, 02:13 PM   #175
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I don't usually add any extra spices after boil but if you want more cinn., go for it!

the ginger fades slightly but not much, though as the beer cleans up the flavors meld. tbis beer benefits from a few weeks. at cold temps. it doesn't really age well so there is a balance there. let us know how it turns out!

Old 10-11-2012, 02:45 AM   #176
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
Just to follow that up as far as spices, I added mine at last 5 minutes of boil this year as per information from GL on the issue and it came out alot closer to the original. I changed the recipe to reflect that too.
I brewed an extract version of this recipe and I had emailed GL to see if I was on the right track. In my recipe I noted that I was adding 1.25 oz of ginger and 3 cinnamon sticks at 5 minutes left in the boil and my response from Mark Hunger was that they use equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon and they add it at 60 and keep it in for the entire boil.

I have my batch that has conditioned in the bottles and the taste was very good, and my only issue was that I think I went a little too heavy with the honey (I used 1.5 lbs). Just brewed up my second batch over the weekend and cut back on the honey by half a pound so we shall see how that turns out.

I just got into BIAB so my next batch will be doing AG using BIAB!

Edit: Forgot to mention that Mark also commented on the hop schedule they use. He said they have 3 total hop additions with the first two being Hallertau and the last one being Cascade.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #177
Sippin37

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMJfan

I brewed an extract version of this recipe and I had emailed GL to see if I was on the right track. In my recipe I noted that I was adding 1.25 oz of ginger and 3 cinnamon sticks at 5 minutes left in the boil and my response from Mark Hunger was that they use equal amounts of ginger and cinnamon and they add it at 60 and keep it in for the entire boil.
Thanks for that info! I was curious about that because don't you typically see the cinnamon spices floating throughout your glass? I've only had this brew once last year when I picked up a 6-pack on a whim, but thought I remembered that. It was so good I had to try making a clone myself!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:10 PM   #178
MMJfan
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I don't recall having any spices floating in my GL Christmas Ales I've ever had (and I've had TONS )

I use whole cinnamon sticks and skinned/cubed pieces of ginger for my brew and I also put them in a muslin sack to contain them so they are easy to remove at the end of the boil...

Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #179
Sippin37

Recipes 

Ok thanks, perhaps I had a few too many and dreamt of floating cinnamon spices! I'll post a picture of my clone in a few weeks, so far it has tasted great!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:29 PM   #180
DPlan00
Recipes 

Hi all. Made this a year ago and it was a huge hit. The only differences in my recipe was that I used London Ale III (it was all they had, but i liked it so I am going to use it again). And the honey. I added it at 10 minutes and I don't think I could taste it at all. Though, I do know that it thinned the beer out a little and added alcohol (I could taste that).

I should add that I make 12 gallon batches into the fermenter. Would a flameout addition of honey make a big difference to the honey profile, or would subbing in 6-8 ounces honey malt in the mash in place of the real honey in the boil have the effect I am looking for?

I am also upping the cinnamon sticks, I couldn't taste them in my beer. Perhaps the volume of wort had something to do with that.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply