Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #161
mcmillb1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

I was thinking of using a micro-plane and grating them into the kettle...any thoughts for / against this method? I know it'll turn the ginger into more of a liquid-pulp, for sure....that should be a good thing, though, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #162
Breck09
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

What is the time frame of this beer from grain to glass. Want to brew a Christmas ale this year but thinking I might be a little behind.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:05 AM   #163
mongcong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed it last year on Sep. 3. It was very drinkable on Christmas, and was actually quite a hit. Thanks to the OP.

However, it was even better at the end of Jan, so get brewing!

Old 08-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #164
mcmillb1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongcong View Post
I brewed it last year on Sep. 3. It was very drinkable on Christmas, and was actually quite a hit. Thanks to the OP.

However, it was even better at the end of Jan, so get brewing!
Are you recommending over 3 months in total? (All of Sept + Oct + Nov + into December)?

I'm still fairly new to brewing, but, I've been using the following schedule (and planned to do so for the my Christmas Ale which is very similar...

Oct 27 - Brew Day + Into Primary
Nov 10 - Rack to Secondary
Nov 24 - Bottle

They should be "technically" ready around Dec 8 (after 2 weeks in bottle), right, BUT Dec 15th / Dec 22nd would probably make them perfect after they bottle condition for about a full month?

Thoughts?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #165
cyberbackpacker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I agree with Moncong... This is a spiced, a higher alcohol beer, and IMO extra conditioning time serves this beer well. A few years back I pulled some out on July 4 and it was A-mazing!

-Kevin
cyberbackpacker

Trinke Das Bier Das Du Gebraut Hast

Old 08-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #166
pietro1022
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmillb1

Are you recommending over 3 months in total? (All of Sept + Oct + Nov + into December)?

I'm still fairly new to brewing, but, I've been using the following schedule (and planned to do so for the my Christmas Ale which is very similar...

Oct 27 - Brew Day + Into Primary
Nov 10 - Rack to Secondary
Nov 24 - Bottle

They should be "technically" ready around Dec 8 (after 2 weeks in bottle), right, BUT Dec 15th / Dec 22nd would probably make them perfect after they bottle condition for about a full month?

Thoughts?
Skip the secondary. No need on any beer unless u are adding fruit or souring. Long primary, cold crash in there if u want to condition prior to bottling. Or bottle earlier.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:01 PM   #167
mcmillb1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietro1022 View Post
Skip the secondary. No need on any beer unless u are adding fruit or souring. Long primary, cold crash in there if u want to condition prior to bottling. Or bottle earlier.
I've seen that this is an age old question - to secondary or not to secondary.

I've done four batches on my own, and racked each one to a secondary carboy - only one have I added extra goodies (bourbon + oak chips), though...

Racking to a carboy for secondary was how I was taught on from a friend on three previous extract brews, so, it's what I've been comfortable with and used since.

I have noticed it helps the clarity immensely...are there any other "pro" thoughts about using secondary?

SO, instead of doing two weeks in primary (I use a fermentation bucket, not a carboy) followed by two weeks in secondary carboy, I could just do four weeks in the bucket and be fine, that's what you're recommending?

I need to try a batch this way and see if I notice any results...maybe I can skip a step, possibly?

I thought I read that it was advantageous to get the primary beer off the trub, though?

Thoughts?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #168
dr0ker
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is that 8 ounces of roasted barley? or .08 lb (which would be 1.28 ounces).

Old 09-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #169
scottatdrake
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0ker View Post
Is that 8 ounces of roasted barley? or .08 lb (which would be 1.28 ounces).
It's really 0.08 lb. Roased barley is extremely dark with an SRM value of around 300. Half a pound of it would be way too much.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:18 PM   #170
mongcong
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmillb1 View Post
I've seen that this is an age old question - to secondary or not to secondary.

Racking to a carboy for secondary was how I was taught on from a friend on three previous extract brews, so, it's what I've been comfortable with and used since.

I have noticed it helps the clarity immensely...are there any other "pro" thoughts about using secondary?

SO, instead of doing two weeks in primary (I use a fermentation bucket, not a carboy) followed by two weeks in secondary carboy, I could just do four weeks in the bucket and be fine, that's what you're recommending?
I just checked back on my notes: brewed Sep 3, bottled Oct 17. I left it in primary the whole time.

I have never had clarity issues because I use the best brewer's ingredient of all; time. I'm in no rush to get the beer to glass because I've always got something "ready" in the pipeline.

If your carboy is large enough, I'd primary directly in there. I've read elsewhere there are issues with long term aging in buckets, since they are not O2 impermeable.

I say quit worrying about making it perfect and get it done asap. Once you taste it use your judgement to make changes for next year. Good luck.

Quick Reply