Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2012, 03:16 AM   #141
buckeyebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Would this.still need to ferment.28.days.if.bottleing.since.the.beer.would need to be in.tue.bottles for two weeks to carb? Thanks for.the.recipe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #142
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy_Brew21 View Post
This is the recipe that I used (Great Lakes Christmas Ale Clone) Any suggestions, i only had in primary fermentor for 2 weeks, and bottled just a couple of days ago. Has anybody here tried this recipe or something close? Thanks
That recipe is pretty much the same as this one.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #143
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyebrew View Post
Would this.still need to ferment.28.days.if.bottleing.since.the.beer.would need to be in.tue.bottles for two weeks to carb? Thanks for.the.recipe!
I dont usually have it in the carboy for 28 days, im not sure where that number came from. I usuay go about three weeks before bottling. You could bottle anytime after the gravity stabilizes, realistically.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #144
Beardo21
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My batch has been in bottles for about 6 weeks total now. It tastes great and it finally has a good amount of carbonation. More and more flavors continue to come out the longer it sits. I may dial back the ginger a touch next time I brew this, but thats just my personal opinion.Thanks again ShingleJohn for posting the recipe.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:51 PM   #145
andylyiv
Recipes 

I brewed this last night. I pitched the yeast (non starter) at 85F. It was getting late and I was falling asleep. It's 19 hous later and I'm only getting 2 bubbles a minute from a bubbler type stopper. Did I screw up my beer? The posts here indicate it should be bubbling like crazy. Right now it's at 68F.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #146
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylyiv View Post
I brewed this last night. I pitched the yeast (non starter) at 85F. It was getting late and I was falling asleep. It's 19 hous later and I'm only getting 2 bubbles a minute from a bubbler type stopper. Did I screw up my beer? The posts here indicate it should be bubbling like crazy. Right now it's at 68F.
If you didnt do a starter, it will take up to 40 hours to get going. Dont worry, all is well!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #147
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
You pitched a little warm, but not nearly hot enough to damage yeast.
One vial or smack pack of yeast isn't enough for this beer. Check out the wiki on starters Yeast Starters - Home Brewing Wiki and also check out mrmalty.com for how much yeast your batch will need.

This beer has a lot of spices that will help cover up any off flavors produced from stressed yeast.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #148
andylyiv
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies. It was going crazy the other day, and fermenting, but now has slowed down and almost stopped. While it was going though it was producing strange odors. Kind of a grassy smell to it. I was reading John Palmer's book on "How to Brew" and he says the odors could be due to infection from bacteria. Guess ill just have to wait out the two weeks and have a taste to see if its ok.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #149
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. It was going crazy the other day, and fermenting, but now has slowed down and almost stopped. While it was going though it was producing strange odors. Kind of a grassy smell to it. I was reading John Palmer's book on "How to Brew" and he says the odors could be due to infection from bacteria. Guess ill just have to wait out the two weeks and have a taste to see if its ok.
You should read "The complete joy of homebrewing" by papazian . Its not as good as far as info on the brewing process but it definitely does a better job of getting new brewers to chill out.

His motto is "Relax. Dont Worry. Have a Homebrew!" This is good advice. Chances are that your beer is fine, and if not, its a learning experience and it will be next time. I have to emphasize that your beer is more than likely fine.

Go into the search option and type in "is my beer ruined?"

Youll see that this is a right of passage!

ps. the grassy smell during fermentation is from the hops. fermentation always has an odor, some beers more than others. Usually fruity or grassy, with lagers it can be a bit farty. RDHAHB!

Old 01-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #150
pietro1022
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinglejohn View Post
Pietro, I think the yeast is slow to carb. I have been kegging the last few batches but when i bottled i do remember them carbing slow. They did eventually carb up though.
Quick follow-up to this, I roused the yeast by shaking the bottles/cases, moved the bottles to a place in the house where it is usually 70 degrees or more (shelf above the dryer in a closet), and after a week, I notice a lot more carbonation. A very good beer! Going to leave it up there another week/two weeks then age them in a 60 degree cellar. Getting some acetaldehyde and fusels (my recipe came out @ 9.3% abv). Hopefully those will mellow out after some aging.

For the people brewing this, that is 6 weeks before head-forming carbonation (no re-pitch @ bottling)
Thanks for the recipe and the advice!

BTW, would definitely add the spices @ the end of the boil next time, especially the ginger...didn't get much out of it by with secondary-only. Spice tea to secondary or boil.

Last edited by pietro1022; 01-25-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply