Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Ginger Ale - 3rd place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #81
Damoxemus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

image-3749232304.jpg

This is a quick pic of the extract version I brewed. Turned out really well - only thing I'd change next time is to add a bit more ginger. Other than that I'm really happy with it and so far so is everyone else who's tasted it,

Thanks for posting this recipe!

Primary - 15 Minute Cascade Pale Al

Bottled/Drinking: Coffee Stout, Robust Porter

Conditioning - Mint Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2013, 09:35 PM   #82
sieglere
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Do you have an extract/partial mash version of this (I guess you'd just replace the 2 row with pale DME) recipe?

This looks awesome

Old 08-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #83
Damoxemus
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Check out Page 3, I think that's where the extract recipe was.

Primary - 15 Minute Cascade Pale Al

Bottled/Drinking: Coffee Stout, Robust Porter

Conditioning - Mint Stout

Old 09-06-2013, 03:58 PM   #84
Keithww
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

So I made this a couple of months ago I replaced one pound of honey with grain and used 8 oz of ginger at the 30 minute mark and 8 oz at the 10 minute mark, put all the trub in to the primary and racked to secondary at 8 days. Got busy and left it in the secondary for three weeks and bottled just over a month ago. It will be on the schedule for late this winter, I want this for drinking next summer. The honey gives it the lightness of body, the ginger gives it a real bite, the lemon off sets the ginger nicely. Everyone that has tried my American Wit likes it but after tasting the Ginger Ale the want seconds of the GA. Thanks for the inspiration.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #85
Nock
Recipes 

Default My Version... as a newish brewer

So, I love the idea of trying this out, but this will be my third batch, and my first partial mash. Also, I'm in Sweden and my local store has slightly different ingredients available. I'll be doing this tomorrow unless I'm told I'm an idiot beforehand!

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

Here are my plans, if anyone would be so kind as to provide feedback (positive or negative) I'd REALLY appreciate it. I've had to convert things, and swap things, I have no idea if this will remotely resemble the original. I had to switch the yeast to S-04 vs the recommended S-05. It's all they had in stock.

Code:
Recipe: Ginger Ale PM modded
Brewer: Kit
Asst Brewer: 
Style: Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
TYPE: Partial Mash
Taste: (35.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.22 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.02 gal   
Bottling Volume: 5.02 gal
Estimated OG: 1.048 SG
Estimated Color: 3.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
1 lbs 1.6 oz       Pilsner Picture link! its local.         Grain         1        15.2 %        
3 lbs 15.5 oz      Muntons Liquid Malt Extract - Light      Extract       2        54.5 %        
1.52 oz            Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min         Hop           3        38.0 IBUs     
6 oz               Ginger Root (Boil 30.0 mins)             Herb          4        -             
2.00 Items         Lemon Juice (per lemon) (Boil 30.0 mins) Spice         5        -             
1 tsp              Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 mins)              Fining        6        -             
2.00 Items         Lemon Zest (Boil 10.0 mins)              Flavor        7        -             
2 oz               Ginger Root (Boil 10.0 mins)             Herb          8        -             
1.02 oz            Williamette [5.50 %] - Boil 2.0 min      Hop           9        2.2 IBUs      
1.0 pkg            SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast         10       -             
2 lbs 3.3 oz       Honey (1.0 SRM)                          Sugar         11       30.3 %        
-------------
2.5 oz                Ginger Root (Secondary 7.0 days)         Herb          12       -
This look like it might make a passable beer?

The pilsner grain is a total guess. They also had a pale ale, but since I was replacing the Pale 2row malt with LME already, so I replaced the Cara-Pils with Pilsner. 'Cause it had "pils" in the name. I also lowered the honey a bit, due to the quantity of LME in 1 container (1.8kg)

Thanks to anyone who takes a look...

Old 09-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #86
Keithww
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nock View Post

The pilsner grain is a total guess. They also had a pale ale, but since I was replacing the Pale 2row malt with LME already, so I replaced the Cara-Pils with Pilsner. 'Cause it had "pils" in the name. I also lowered the honey a bit, due to the quantity of LME in 1 container (1.8kg)

Thanks to anyone who takes a look...
Cara-Pils will give body and head, Pilsner will give flavor and alcohol. You might throw in a 1/2 pound of Malto-Dextrine if you can't get Cara-Pils

Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #87
Nock
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithww View Post
Cara-Pils will give body and head, Pilsner will give flavor and alcohol. You might throw in a 1/2 pound of Malto-Dextrine if you can't get Cara-Pils
I should really take this outside of this thread as I'm going to turn it into a newbie-brewer thread, but I appreciate the info. I hadn't really heard of using malto-dextrine before. I'm gonna have to find something to do with my kilo of pilsner grain.

Thanks for helping this new bit of info sink in. Looks like this may not turn out to be a partial mash after all but just a straight up extract.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #88
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nock

I should really take this outside of this thread as I'm going to turn it into a newbie-brewer thread, but I appreciate the info. I hadn't really heard of using malto-dextrine before. I'm gonna have to find something to do with my kilo of pilsner grain.
With 1kg pilsner you could make a 1 gallon all grain lager in these next cooler months. Add a little extra for body, like a cara or flaked corn, and a .5 oz hops split between early and late. Could be a fun experiment.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:36 PM   #89
remman4
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I brewed this and scaled up to 11 gallons

I used a bit more ginger than called for and grated it with a cheese grater, next time I'll look int food processors instead lol

Only other change I made was an aroma/flavor addition of some Sorachi Ace hops to add a bit more herbal notes.

Overall I really like the final product, thanks for the recipe!

Old 02-21-2014, 03:42 PM   #90
bolus14
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Subd

Quick Reply