Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Ginger Ale - 3rd place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #71
mlgtrumpet
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Just brewed this today -- extract version, full boil -- my OG was 1.035 which seems a little low. Should be fine, right??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #72
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgtrumpet View Post
Hi Joe,

I am brewing this on Saturday and wondering about the honey. below you state that you add all the honey at flameout, which is different than the recipes. thinking the honey would be needed during the boil for alcohol content. so, can you please clarify where I should add the honey?

thanks,
matt
I am confused about this as well...
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale

Old 04-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #73
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hey all, sorry for the delay. Been away from HBT for a while.

Whether you add the honey during the boil or at flameout will not change the alcohol content. You're adding sugar either way. I don't like to boil honey that long because it breaks down all of the delicious flavor and aroma compounds. It can also burn to the bottom of the pot.

I just warm up the bottles in some hot water beforehand--so it flows more easily--then dump it in during the last minute or two.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:36 PM   #74
cheez
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
Hey all, sorry for the delay. Been away from HBT for a while.

Whether you add the honey during the boil or at flameout will not change the alcohol content. You're adding sugar either way. I don't like to boil honey that long because it breaks down all of the delicious flavor and aroma compounds. It can also burn to the bottom of the pot.

I just warm up the bottles in some hot water beforehand--so it flows more easily--then dump it in during the last minute or two.
When it is added can make a difference on whether you get a slight honey flavor or not. I usually add it just before or right after flameout but wanted to clarify what you did for this recipe. Thanks!
Irish Red Ale
Ginger Ale
Belgian Wit
Winter Ale

Old 06-07-2013, 03:00 AM   #75
dgriffith
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Just had the first glass of this from the keg. Wow. Very nice. Brewed with original all grain recipe, maybe a tad more ginger when kegging. Nice ginger nose, and mild bite, but really refreshing with honey coming though. Won't last long with my friends around. Yay.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #76
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm anxious - brewed this last weekend using all Mosaic for a bit of fruit flavor. I can't wait for it to finish.

I was surprised when you grate that much ginger how much volume it is (I used the food processor to maximize the surface area and get the most bang for the buck).

Old 06-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #77
johngaltsmotor
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Wow, I'm guessing that running the ginger through the food processor got more utilization than the original. It's not quite Jack Daniels, but the ginger definitely puts a burn in your throat from 6oz and 4oz in the boil with none in the primary.
I had to add a simple syrup and some yeast stabilizer to soften it up (with that much ginger and FG=1.000 let's say it's not a mass market beer).
Hopefully once it's fully carb'd it is a nice refreshing summer session.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 AM   #78
Damoxemus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlgtrumpet View Post
Just brewed this today -- extract version, full boil -- my OG was 1.035 which seems a little low. Should be fine, right??
I brewed an extract version this the other day as well and I think my OG was 1.039. That was at 20C so should be pretty accurate.

What temp was your wort when you checked it?

BTW, the taste from the sample is pretty good - perfect amount of ginger.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #79
Damoxemus
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzeWuzze View Post
This beer has been going forever!

Ive never had a beer move the airlock for so long...

I brewed it Sunday, and its Friday and its still bubbling once a minute or so...was fermented @ 63ish or so the entire time, atleast thats what my thermometer said taped to the outside of the bucket.

Never had a beer really bubble actively for more than maybe 3-4 days, this ones on 5 and still going...should be a good sign!
Mine has been going for 11 days now. Started at 63ish (Two Wednesdays ago) like you and slowly moved it up to about 70 over the last few days (today is Sunday).

I'm hoping it's done and I can rack it by next week!

Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #80
run42beer
Recipes 

I brewed this middle of June and ended up with OG 1.044, FG 1.006. Used slightly higher amount of Ginger during boil. As the hydro sample after fermentation had a lot of ginger flavor too it I decided to leave out the ginger addition during secondary fermentation. The final sample before legging tasted great, can't wait to see how this will taste once fully force carbed.

Any idea what BJCP category this would fit in (23?)?

Thanks,

Heiko

Up next: Cherry stout

Quick Reply