Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Ginger Ale - 3rd place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #51
OcularTrauma
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Awesome, thanks for the reply Crito! Did you do the AG or the extract version? How did it come out?

Just chop/mince/dice the ginger root, soak in vodka and bag it in the secondary? Sorry for the process questions, I'm still pretty new at this

Ferm1: BrandonO Graff [5g]
Ferm2: M/T
Ferm3: M/T
Bottled: Saison de Noel
Kegged:Chocolate Milk Stout, Yooper/Jamil California Common, Simple hard cider w/WLP775 (resting)

Last edited by OcularTrauma; 04-26-2012 at 05:56 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #52
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

No problems. I minced mine. I soaked it vodka. As little vodka as possible

All grain. For the first two weeks it had the full ginger flavor then it mellowed out. I liked it. Others didnt and drank all my caramel wheat pale ale, hehe

No bag. I just put it in my frementor. I personally dont secondary my beer.

I only used two pounds of honey and used more two row

Old 11-02-2012, 08:47 PM   #53
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This beer has been going forever!

Ive never had a beer move the airlock for so long...

I brewed it Sunday, and its Friday and its still bubbling once a minute or so...was fermented @ 63ish or so the entire time, atleast thats what my thermometer said taped to the outside of the bucket.

Never had a beer really bubble actively for more than maybe 3-4 days, this ones on 5 and still going...should be a good sign!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #54
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 220 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Mines finally done with primary, but it came out way lower gravity...after 2 weeks i am now at 1.004. Its pretty damn good though, can definately tell its ginger. Going to see how it fares with 3oz more ginger for secondary.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 AM   #55
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yeah, for some reason this recipe always ferments way out - the FG in my original post was 1.002.

I like how dry it gets, though. It's super refreshing with the ginger and lemon.

-Joe

Old 11-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #56
kmac666
Recipes 

Has anyone considered adding to the grain bill? The beer seems a bit light - I get that's th point but I think I may be interested in a bigger ginger beer. Not sure, looking for feedback. Thx.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:33 PM   #57
Bigcorona
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Brewed this today per the instructions in the first post. Only change was that I used 2 lbs of ginger. OG was 1.045. Sample tasted great. I am very excited about how this will turn out. Thanks!

Old 12-01-2012, 04:46 PM   #58
Recipes 

Looking at brewing this tomorrow. Has anyone substituted more grain for the 3 lbs of honey or know how I would go about figuring that out. I am doing 10 gal batches and don't really want to buy 6 lbs of honey. Thanks

Old 12-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #59
h0psnobery
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 6

*subscribed

Old 12-15-2012, 10:24 PM   #60
bella_union
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've been thinking about trying to make a ginger beer. I'm trying to find a recipe that is basically a refreshing clean beer with a nice blast of ginger.
For comparison purposes, I had Phillips ginger beer (http://phillipsbeer.com) once this summer and couldn't find it again but I loved it. There's another one that's in stock (called Crabbie's, I think) which i was not a fan of (tasted like it was sweetened a bit, kind of like a malty ginger ale pop/soda). I'm just not personally a fan of a sweet beer.
I guess I'm just wondering if this recipe is closer to the Crabbie's sweet(ish) ginger beer than to a regular beer with a nice hit of ginger flavour. My initial reaction is to think that with the extra honey in there that it would come out a bit on the noticeably sweet side, but I don't know enough about this whole process yet to know.
Thanks for any opinions/insight!

Edited to say, wait a minute, honey would just add more fermentable sugar, right?

Quick Reply