Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Ginger Ale - 3rd place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #41
Beernewb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

what do you think about lemon grass as a sub for the lemon juice/zest? I'm not sure how I;d calculate out the equivalent amount, but I was thinking and oz chopped in the boil and maybe 1/2 oz in the primary after fermentation is complete.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM   #42
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Lemon grass would be interesting. I would add it toward the end of the boil, and then add it in secondary with the ginger addition. If you are looking for lemon flavor, the lemon addition per the recipe does very well.

The beer starts off with a light flavor with lemon coming second, and then finishing off with a lingering ginger bite. I can see how people would want more ginger, but it is great as is and I wouldn't change anything if I were to brew it again.

Bottled- Blue Star Wheat clone, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, BIPA, Chocolate Espresso Stout, Black Hook Porter clone, Ginger Ale, Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen, Peppercorn Rye Boch, Cream of Three Crops
Future- Old Rasputin Imperial Stout Clone

Old 01-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #43
Beernewb
Recipes 

thanks for the lemon info, I didn't see an addition of ginger in the secondary, only two additions in the kettle, did you add additional ginger to the secondary? or skip the second addition in the kettel and add it straight to the secondary?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:19 AM   #44
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I did both ginger additions in the kettle like the recipe calls for. I skinned the ginger and then ran it through a food processor and dumped it straight into the kettle. I was going to put the skins in too, but decided against it. I skinned about 3 ounces of ginger, minced it, and added it to the secondary in a nylon bag.

I didn't filter the wort at all while adding to the carboy. I wanted as much ginger flavor to stick around as possible. Like I said, it is remarkably clear even though I didn't filter anything or add any Irish moss. I did a 24 hour cold crash in the garage, but the temp only got down to about 50 degrees so it wasn't a true cold crash.

Bottled- Blue Star Wheat clone, EdWort's Haus Pale Ale, BIPA, Chocolate Espresso Stout, Black Hook Porter clone, Ginger Ale, Bee Cave Brewery Bavarian Hefeweizen, Peppercorn Rye Boch, Cream of Three Crops

Old 01-31-2012, 06:23 AM   #45
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernewb View Post
I didn't see an addition of ginger in the secondary, only two additions in the kettle
It's there, you'll see it at the bottom of his recipe below the yeast info.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #46
icanbenchurcat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When trying to remove ginger skin: freeze the ginger, then grate it. The skin will be left ungrated pretty easily. Also, I was under the impression ginger contained plenty of yeast n bacteria. Do you boil your ginger before secondary?

Old 02-27-2012, 01:35 AM   #47
funkstrman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icanbenchurcat View Post
Do you boil your ginger before secondary?
I just put it in the nylon bag, dunked the whole thing in starsan and then dropped it in the secondary. My beer turned out great, but I would think you could boil it and then dump all of it into the secondary. I would just be concerned about losing flavor or potency.

Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 PM   #48
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

ginger in starsan or vodka better for secondary addition? how finely chopped and skinned to make it bug free?

I am going to brew this one today.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #49
OcularTrauma
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crito View Post
ginger in starsan or vodka better for secondary addition? how finely chopped and skinned to make it bug free?

I am going to brew this one today.
I'd love to hear an answer on this one. Adding unsanitized to a secondary really scares me.

Beautiful recipe, I plan on trying the extract version here shortly after my Vagabond Ginger Ale gets out of primary. I hit my FG in 10 days but it has zero ginger and I'd like to add a bunch to the secondary.

Cheers!

Last edited by OcularTrauma; 04-26-2012 at 05:25 PM.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #50
Crito
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts

I added the ginger that was treated with vodka. Turned out nice. I made a strawberry ale without anything. Turned out nice. Most people agree that after the fermentation takes place the alcohol will kill the bad bugs. (Still a debated topic) I just washed the strawberries and starsan the container. Still sanitize all equiptment being used.

Quick Reply