Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Ginger Ale - 3rd place 2009 HBT BJCP Comp

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
credible2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Can you taste the lemon in the beer from the lemon juice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I don't notice a lemony flavor, no.

-Joe

Old 04-07-2011, 01:10 AM   #13
experiencehaze
Recipes 

Just bought the ingredients today to make this beer my first for the year. For those who've made this before; I love ginger, both the flavor and bite, would you add more ginger or is the amount listed good enough?

Old 04-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
SaltyTX
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I made a half batch. It has been sitting for about 8 weeks at this point...at 5 weeks, I did not want to drink it. It was just..not right immediately after kegging. Its been mellowing just fine. Perhaps it will be nice when I try it this weekend.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 AM   #15
experiencehaze
Recipes 

I know this is short notice but I'm thinking of brewing this tomorrow afternoon, and I want to make sure I have a nice strong ginger flavor and bite. I'm thinking of something similar to the Fever-Tree Ginger Beer but with slightly less of a ginger burn. I have serious doubts that the amount listed in the recipe is sufficient for what I'm looking for.

For all those who have a bit more, or any, experience using ginger, how much would you recommend for that level of "gingeriness." I was thinking of changing the additions to 9, 4 and 3 oz, respectively.

Also, will I need to remove the skin of the ginger root?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 PM   #16
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Yep, looks like a great recipe! Will be brewing this one next.

I also plan to increase the ginger addition, by a few ounces. In non-alcoholic ginger sodas I add cayenne to increase the bite without overpowering the drink with ginger. It adds a nice bit of heat without any flavor. Maybe the cayenne and the lemon should go into the secondary so the flavor doesn't cook out?

pandas are bears

Old 04-19-2011, 10:59 PM   #17
BenjaminBier
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by experiencehaze View Post
I know this is short notice but I'm thinking of brewing this tomorrow afternoon, and I want to make sure I have a nice strong ginger flavor and bite. I'm thinking of something similar to the Fever-Tree Ginger Beer but with slightly less of a ginger burn. I have serious doubts that the amount listed in the recipe is sufficient for what I'm looking for.

For all those who have a bit more, or any, experience using ginger, how much would you recommend for that level of "gingeriness." I was thinking of changing the additions to 9, 4 and 3 oz, respectively.

Also, will I need to remove the skin of the ginger root?
I would remove the skin but I wouldn't be too over-zealous about it.

If you're a whole-foods fanatic you'd better leave it on

pandas are bears

Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #18
experiencehaze
Recipes 

Well, I decided to do a whole pound at the 30min addition and 10oz at the 10min addition, when I rack to secondary I will taste it and decide if and how much ginger to add from there. I changed the 3lb honey addition to 2.5lb at 60min and 0.5lb at 5min to get slightly more honey flavor.

I didn't take any of the ginger skin off since I didn't really have the time and someone said that the only difference would be a slightly darker beer.

2.5 hours in and I am seeing the first signs of fermentation.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #19
experiencehaze
Recipes 

update: I transferred the ginger beer to the secondary after about 3 days and added 20oz of peeled, minced ginger.

I just checked the SG and it came out to 1.001, a bit lower than expected. when tasting it I felt a gentle ginger bite, nothing that could be even be described as overwhelming. Sadly, though, I didn't get much in terms of a robust ginger flavor. This makes me think I should have added 3 or maybe 5 lbs of ginger to the boil.

For those who've brewed this before, is there any chance when this beer is bottled and carbonated the flavor might become more noticeable?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 PM   #20
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

That is a lot of ginger. I never wanted for more ginger with the recipe as written, so maybe our definitions of "more noticeable" are different

Did you grate the ginger?

-Joe

Quick Reply