Made this a second time with very slight tweaks to the original recipe (which was one of the first few beers I brewed and also quite tasty). Came out great again, even cleaner and the ginger really comes through. Here're my brewing notes, took 2nd Place at the Denver County Fair for Spice Beer.
Batch Size: 5 gallons
- 4.5 lb Pilsner liquid malt extract
- 3.25 lb wild clover honey
- 1 lb. Carapils (steep in 1.5 qts. water at 165 F for 45 mins)
- 2.6 lb (42 oz) fresh grated ginger
- 2 lemons (zest, rinds and juice separated)
- 1 oz Cascade
- 1 oz Willamette
Yeast: Nottingham Ale Yeast
- 60 min: 1 oz Cascade
- 30 min: 2 lb honey / juice of 2 lemons / 2 lemon rinds (zest removed) / 2 lb grated ginger
- 15 min: remove lemon rinds
- 10 min: remaining honey / remaining ginger / lemon zest
- 2 min: 1 oz Willamette
- Ferment at 64° F for 7 days. Then gradually step up to 70° F.
- Carbonate to 2.7 volumes.