Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Ginger Ale

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #71
maxwellius
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: falcon heights
Posts: 10
Default


I entered this in the St. Paul beer dabbler and won in the fruit/vegetable/spice/herbed category. Everyone that tried this told me to make it again. So its next on the list. Thanks for an awesome brew.

__________________
maxwellius is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2012, 05:51 PM   #72
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fosaisu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 348
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default


I followed the original recipe with a few mods (Nottingham yeast, 4.5 lb light LME instead of 3.5 lb extract + 1 lb sugar to get more malt character). Fermented in the primary for 18 days (10 days at 60 degrees, then raised to 65 for last 8 days). I'm bottling today and it tastes incredible!

40 oz ginger added per the original recipe seems perfect, good ginger flavor and a tiny bite but no burn. Entirely personal preference, of course, but I think "dry-hopping" with ginger would be overkill. Wasn't sure how the lemon would turn out but there's a nice lemon taste in there as well, complements the ginger well rather than overpowering it. Can't wait to taste it in a few weeks once it's carbed up!

So thanks for the awesome recipe! If you like ginger you've got to try this one, and I'd recommend giving the original recipe a shot (subbing malt for sugar) before tinkering with the ginger bill. I'll post again when it's carbed up.

__________________
fosaisu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #73
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fosaisu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 348
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default


I've now bottle carbed this and have to say that the bubbles definitely bring out more of the ginger "bite." I still like it a lot, but will admit that it's pretty strong (still a bit tamer than Reed's Ginger Beer, but without all the sugar to mask the ginger flavor). Others I've shared it with think it's a bit much. So next time around, I might try 30 oz of ginger, or maybe move most/all of the late addition up to earlier in the brew to mellow the bite out a bit while retaining the ginger flavor.

Having said that, thanks again for sharing a tasty and unique recipe! I look forward to tweaking and brewing it again next spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fosaisu View Post
I followed the original recipe with a few mods (Nottingham yeast, 4.5 lb light LME instead of 3.5 lb extract + 1 lb sugar to get more malt character). Fermented in the primary for 18 days (10 days at 60 degrees, then raised to 65 for last 8 days). I'm bottling today and it tastes incredible!

40 oz ginger added per the original recipe seems perfect, good ginger flavor and a tiny bite but no burn. Entirely personal preference, of course, but I think "dry-hopping" with ginger would be overkill. Wasn't sure how the lemon would turn out but there's a nice lemon taste in there as well, complements the ginger well rather than overpowering it. Can't wait to taste it in a few weeks once it's carbed up!

So thanks for the awesome recipe! If you like ginger you've got to try this one, and I'd recommend giving the original recipe a shot (subbing malt for sugar) before tinkering with the ginger bill. I'll post again when it's carbed up.
__________________
fosaisu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2012, 02:07 AM   #74
mrwaffles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: hillsborough
Posts: 38
Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default


Just sampled this, been 3 weeks in the bottle and followed the recipe pretty closely and I think it turned out great! Very little burn at all but tons of ginger flavor. "Dry Hopped" about .75 lb of thinly sliced ginger for 3 days before bottling and I feel it could have used more ginger or more time. I was hoping for a little burn. Put the rest of the ginger in the boil. I love it! Wife loves it and said to put on the list to do again! Thanks for a wonderful, "different" recipe!

__________________
mrwaffles is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #75
damlamb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
damlamb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarnia
Posts: 55
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Bottled 5 gallons of this last night. This is only my second beer and I was wondering if 2 Weeks is long enough to bottle condition it? The first beer I did was a hefeweizen and 2 Weeks seemed to do the trick.

__________________
damlamb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 06:24 PM   #76
damlamb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
damlamb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarnia
Posts: 55
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by damlamb View Post
Bottled 5 gallons of this last night. This is only my second beer and I was wondering if 2 Weeks is long enough to bottle condition it? The first beer I did was a hefeweizen and 2 Weeks seemed to do the trick.
Today one of my bottles exploded so I geuss two Weeks might be a little much...
__________________
damlamb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 AM   #77
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fosaisu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 348
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by damlamb View Post
Today one of my bottles exploded so I geuss two Weeks might be a little much...
Bottle conditioning for long periods doesn't cause bottles to explode (I've still got some bottles of this that I brewed many months ago sitting at ambient temp in my basement without mishap).

If you're getting bottle bombs that means either a) fermentation wasn't complete when you bottled or b) you added too much priming sugar. Either way there's too much fermentable material left in the beer so fermentation is continuing in the bottles and you're getting dangerous carbonation levels. You can look back at your process to see which one you think was the problem, but be very careful with the remaining bottles -- glass grenades are dangerous!
__________________
fosaisu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 11:28 PM   #78
damlamb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
damlamb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarnia
Posts: 55
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


I opened some of the other bottles and they were not overly carbonated. I think that one must have contained excess priming sugar due to uneven mixing of the priming solution and beer in my bottling bucket

__________________
damlamb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 04:05 AM   #79
fosaisu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fosaisu's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Denver
Posts: 348
Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by damlamb
I opened some of the other bottles and they were not overly carbonated. I think that one must have contained excess priming sugar due to uneven mixing of the priming solution and beer in my bottling bucket
I definitely had that problem in early batches (not exploding bottles but some way too foamy and some almost flat). So even though many people think its unnecessary I now give a slow (to avoid oxidization) but thorough stir when I add the priming sugar and maybe a time or two during bottling, and I haven't had uneven carbonation since.
__________________
fosaisu is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #80
damlamb
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
damlamb's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sarnia
Posts: 55
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by fosaisu View Post

I definitely had that problem in early batches (not exploding bottles but some way too foamy and some almost flat). So even though many people think its unnecessary I now give a slow (to avoid oxidization) but thorough stir when I add the priming sugar and maybe a time or two during bottling, and I haven't had uneven carbonation since.
Good suggestion I will definitely do this next time.
__________________
damlamb is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ginger Wine to ginger beer? koomber Wine Making Forum 8 04-19-2014 03:33 AM
carrot n ginger cider (ginger fear ) carlos Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer 4 09-29-2011 05:09 AM
Too much ginger dzamba Extract Brewing 13 11-02-2009 09:39 PM
Should i use the Ginger? HillbillyDeluxe Recipes/Ingredients 3 09-20-2009 10:46 PM
wine - ginger/green ginger fatbloke Wine Making Forum 0 04-15-2007 08:52 PM