Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Ginger Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2009, 03:10 AM   #31
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

What was your AG recipe for this?

I agree, up the lemons, maybe even add a squeeze of lemon when I add in the priming agent. Everyone I have given mine too swears by adding a lemon (and I agree).

Ooh, yes, how were the Limes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #32
GreenMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztec View Post
What was your AG recipe for this?

I agree, up the lemons, maybe even add a squeeze of lemon when I add in the priming agent. Everyone I have given mine too swears by adding a lemon (and I agree).

Ooh, yes, how were the Limes?
Edit: Found the recipe...

8lbs Pale Malt
0.25lb CaraPils

1lb Clover Honey

1oz. Cascade pellets (60 min)
1oz Willamette pellets (10 min)

40oz Fresh Ginger Root (grated) (pita)
2 Lemons (juice,zest & rinds)
1 Wirlflock tablet

Last edited by GreenMan; 11-10-2009 at 10:35 PM.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #33
UnbakedToast
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMan View Post
Did this as an All-Grain a couple months ago with the 40 oz of ginger. Tastes great with a slice of lemon so the only thing I would change is up the lemons next time. There will definitely be a next time. Probably change it either 4 lemons or maybe just the zest of 4-5 lemons in the boil.

I like the idea of limes too as I love limes. Might not go with ginger though. How did it turn out UnbakedToast?
The limes didn't really add to much to the beer. A friend of mine from the Virgin Islands tried the beer and loved it, she did however said to cut back on the ginger (maybe by 1/2 #) and increase the "sweetness" (maybe add a little bit more malt). But everyone else that tried this beer LOVED it. I like it.

"We may be hungover... but we're still professionals!" (Said to a coworker after a night of heavy drinking)

Old 10-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #34
stromam
Recipes 

I have a question about the lemons... what do you do exactly with them as far as separating the zest and pith. My guess would be to grate off the zest and save it, cut the remainder in half and squeeze out the juice and use the rest as the pith. does that sound about right, or do you grate off the zest, then peel the lemon for the pith and squeeze the peeled fruit for the juice. Also, I was planning on using 4 lemons, should i use all of the zest/pith from the 4 lemons or just half. Thanks.

Oh another recipe question... I was planning on using 4 lbs of light DME, 1 lb of honey and 1 lb of corn sugar. How does that sound? I know its a pretty big deviation from your recipe, but I happen to have all these ingredients on hand.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #35
GreenMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stromam View Post
I have a question about the lemons... what do you do exactly with them as far as separating the zest and pith. My guess would be to grate off the zest and save it, cut the remainder in half and squeeze out the juice and use the rest as the pith. does that sound about right, or do you grate off the zest, then peel the lemon for the pith and squeeze the peeled fruit for the juice. Also, I was planning on using 4 lemons, should i use all of the zest/pith from the 4 lemons or just half. Thanks.

Oh another recipe question... I was planning on using 4 lbs of light DME, 1 lb of honey and 1 lb of corn sugar. How does that sound? I know its a pretty big deviation from your recipe, but I happen to have all these ingredients on hand.
You have the idea right with how to deal with the lemons. Grate/peal off the zest, then juice then the rest is the pith. I would leave out the pith as its just a bitter flavor and not a favorable one in my mind and just use the zest and the juice. Also I would use at least 4, maybe even 6 to balance out some of the ginger.

Don't know about the malt for sure but you can look up an estimate of that and see how close it comes to the OG that is posted here.

Old 11-11-2009, 01:41 AM   #36
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've been monitoring this thread somewhat to try to keep up with everyone's brewing notes.

Sounds like this brew will be in my future sometime...thanks for the updates.

Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 AM   #37
mummasan
Recipes 

I've have added ginger to several of my beers. I have learned that BM's centennial blonde is a great recipe to add ginger to. I usually just get grocery store ginger, cut it into small chunks and keep it in the freezer. When I am ready to brew I take it out of the freezer and let it thaw. As it thaws it gets all soft and squishy and ginger juice accumulates in the bag - I toss all into the kettle.

When I use ginger, I found it is good to balance it with something else. I'll usually add a half pound of moscobado sugar, or coriander or calamansi zest (calamansi is a small sour citrus - like a lime but more intense). I think for my next batch of ginger beer I'm going to add some allspice (I have a tree with ripe berries) the Jamaicans use ginger with allspice in their cooking and I figure it might be good with beer too.

The last few times I added ginger, I did it halfway through the boil and I removed the ginger pieces after they boiled for 10 miunutes. The most I ever added was 5 ounces.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM   #38
chirs
Recipes 

I've been thinking BM's centennial blonde would make an excellent Ginger Beer base as well. I'm wondering how the larger malt bill (in comparison to the almost 50/50 malt/sugar adjunct in this thread) in BM's blonde will effect the perception of ginger.

I'm looking to brew the blonde with a touch of ginger. What do you all think of this?

Recipe Overview

Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.028 SG Expected OG: 1.045 SG
Expected FG: 1.007 SG Apparent Attenuation: 84.1 %
Expected ABV: 5.0 % Expected ABW: 3.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 21.4 IBU Expected Color (using Morey): 3.7 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.48 Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 68 degF

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
US 2-Row Malt 6.00 lb
US Carapils Malt 1.00 lb
US Caramel 10L Malt 0.50 lb
US Vienna Malt 0.50 lb 5.3 %
Sugar - Honey 1.50 lb 15.8 %

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
US Centennial 9.5 % 0.25 oz 8.5 Loose Whole Hops 55 Min From End
US Centennial 9.5 % 0.25 oz 7.2 Loose Whole Hops 35 Min From End
US Cascade 7.8 % 0.25 oz 4.3 Loose Whole Hops 20 Min From End
US Cascade 7.8 % 0.25 oz 1.4 Loose Whole Hops 5 Min From End
Other Ingredients
Ingredient Amount When
Ginger Root 20.00 oz In Boil
Irish Moss 0.25 oz In Boil
Yeast
Wyeast 1272-American Ale II

Quote:
Originally Posted by mummasan View Post
I've have added ginger to several of my beers. I have learned that BM's centennial blonde is a great recipe to add ginger to. I usually just get grocery store ginger, cut it into small chunks and keep it in the freezer. When I am ready to brew I take it out of the freezer and let it thaw. As it thaws it gets all soft and squishy and ginger juice accumulates in the bag - I toss all into the kettle.

When I use ginger, I found it is good to balance it with something else. I'll usually add a half pound of moscobado sugar, or coriander or calamansi zest (calamansi is a small sour citrus - like a lime but more intense). I think for my next batch of ginger beer I'm going to add some allspice (I have a tree with ripe berries) the Jamaicans use ginger with allspice in their cooking and I figure it might be good with beer too.

The last few times I added ginger, I did it halfway through the boil and I removed the ginger pieces after they boiled for 10 miunutes. The most I ever added was 5 ounces.

_______
kegged: Anchor Steam
primary: Mead

Add your water quality report to the Water Quality/Chemistry thread.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:53 AM   #39
GreenMan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirs View Post
I've been thinking BM's centennial blonde would make an excellent Ginger Beer base as well. I'm wondering how the larger malt bill (in comparison to the almost 50/50 malt/sugar adjunct in this thread) in BM's blonde will effect the perception of ginger.

I'm looking to brew the blonde with a touch of ginger. What do you all think of this?
I did mostly grain only and not the 50/50 grain/sugar and the ginger perception turned out great. Did you ever try this recipe? How did it turn out with 20 oz. of ginger.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #40
CrazyP
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just cracked a bottle of this last night. I did primary fermentation for two weeks and skipped the secondary. OG and FG were right on the mark at 1.051 and 1.005, respectively. I used 2/3 cup of table sugar to prime and carbed up the bottles at 74 degrees for 1 week.

The result: a clean straw-colored ale with a nice head and strong (but not overpowering) ginger flavor. It was surprisingly dry by itself but goes really well with a slice of lemon. I will definitely brew this again. Next time I'm going to try using more malt extract and less sugar to give it a more malty character. Also, I'd like to try a little lactose in some bottles to see how a little sweetness affects the flavor.

Quick Reply