Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Ginger Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #11
geekyasiwannabe
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just made your ginger ale this week with a couple of changes. I added the ginger to the wort in 3 additions to get the sweet mellow ginger flavor and the spiciness. I saved about a 1/3 of it to add to the secondary, as you suggested, and I subbed lime for the lemon and added the peel of one orange. I also used a dry ale yeast, since I was really looking for the ginger flavor and felt the ginger would overpower anything the white labs ale yeast would've imparted. I'm hoping this will be super spicy and citrusy. Thanks for the recipe!

p.s. I made a Ginger Kolsch this spring that was published on the AHA's beginner guide. It was delicious, but with only 6 oz. of ginger, it was merely a ginger whisper.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2008, 01:38 AM   #12
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I made this tonight. I knocked the initial ginger down to 8oz and will be adding 4oz after a week in the primary. I also added 3.5oz malto-dextrin for body. My OG came in at 1.060.

We'll see how it goes! Thanks for the recipe,

-Joe

Old 08-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #13
nostalgia
Recipes 

After two weeks in the primary, SG is 1.008. Taste is quite good, with the ginger being very mellow and in the background.

I added another 2.5oz of grated ginger. Looking forward to this one!

-Joe

Old 08-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #14
effectrammstein
Recipes 

the amount of ginger doesn't sound too much - like you said it will mellow out with the boiling - just like garlic does

I am an avid cook - recipe looks great to me mate - will try it out!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #15
effectrammstein
Recipes 

could also try some cinnamon in the secondary as well!

Old 08-28-2008, 02:57 AM   #16
nostalgia
Recipes 

Just cracked a bottle of this. I used 8oz of ginger in the boil and 2.5oz in the secondary, and I think it's just about perfect for what I was looking for. There's a subtle ginger aroma when you stick your nose in the glass and a great ginger flavor on the tongue. It's fantastic!

And it cleared and carbonated beautifully. I couldn't be more happy with how it came out. Thanks for the recipe!!

-Joe

Old 05-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #17
maztec
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Has anyone here tried this with the full 40oz? I like strong ginger brews and find most to be too weak. Has anyone kept one of these for a year and then cracked it open? What was it like then? Hoping to get a batch of this going and ready before July 4.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #18
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maztec View Post
Has anyone here tried this with the full 40oz? I like strong ginger brews and find most to be too weak. Has anyone kept one of these for a year and then cracked it open? What was it like then? Hoping to get a batch of this going and ready before July 4.
Nope, only about 6oz in the primary and 2oz in the secondary. I cracked one after about 8 months and if anything the ginger flavor had intensified. Still not overpowering, but definitely the dominant flavor.

I'm planning to do this as an AG recipe soon, replacing the extract with 4# of 2-row.

-Joe

Old 05-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #19
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Welp. Brewed it up, following the recipe as is. So far, tastes great, but hella sweet. I imagine the sweetness will back off as it ferments. It is now in the primary.

Few notes, following the recipe as-is, I ended up with an OG of 1.058.

We'll see how it tastes in six weeks.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:02 PM   #20
maztec
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Update:

Followed the recipe. It has been in the fermenter for a week. It off-gassed non-stop for four days, it kept the airlock going vigorously. I did not test its SG until now ... and I have hit an SG of 1.008! On tasting, it is just right on ginger. However, I think I am going to bottle half of it with lemon juice and simple syrup ... which leads to a question.

How can I add some sweetness back into this for half the batch, and not create bottle bombs?!? I know I am going to add a touch of sugar to all of it to prime it .. . so what should I add to make it a bit sweeter, without making bottle bombs? Thanks!

Right now the ABV is 6.83%, I don't expect it to change too much more, but we will see. I can't wait to open a bottle of this!

If the OP is still around, any advice he may have is appreciated (as is everyone elses).

Quick Reply