Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout clone (2011 HBT Competition Category 21 winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2012, 03:39 AM   #61
hop_head76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeho
I hit 1.084 using about 0.5 lb less 2-row, but all the other grains. The byo OG seems to be just a bit off, it is supposed to be 8.3% ABV, not 7.5% like they say.
So you liked the way this brew turned out? Did you do a side by side? I know I saw someone said they did. I'm anxious to make this beer cause I love the real thing and it would be gratifying to make it myself I'm just blow away by the amount of dark roasted malts. I have never brewed a stout with such a high quantity. I definitely want to avoid the "it's roasty" reaction when that's not what I recall at all about the real thing.

Also I agree with you on the byo being off not only was the og off but my ibus calculated way lower than 60 so I'm going to have to bump up those additions.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #62
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I am brewing this tomorrow and didn't have time for a starter so I plan on pitching 2 smack packs. Is my lid going to blow off?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:27 AM   #63
mikeho
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus Brewer View Post
I am brewing this tomorrow and didn't have time for a starter so I plan on pitching 2 smack packs. Is my lid going to blow off?
2 smack packs should be fine, its not as much as two packets of dry. I've never had my lid blow off but I have had beer come out the airlock and end up on the floor so having a blow off tube ready would be a good idea.

Primary: Simcoe APA, Smoked Porter
Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 AM   #64
mikeho
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hop_head76 View Post
So you liked the way this brew turned out? Did you do a side by side? I know I saw someone said they did. I'm anxious to make this beer cause I love the real thing and it would be gratifying to make it myself I'm just blow away by the amount of dark roasted malts. I have never brewed a stout with such a high quantity. I definitely want to avoid the "it's roasty" reaction when that's not what I recall at all about the real thing.

Also I agree with you on the byo being off not only was the og off but my ibus calculated way lower than 60 so I'm going to have to bump up those additions.

Thanks for your time and thoughts.
I like this beer and I think its pretty close to the real thing. Because its a coffee stout I don't think it needs a ton of bittering hops because the coffee and dark chocolate add some bitterness. As far as the roastiness, that pretty much defines a stout so I think you would miss that if you cut down on the roasted malts.

Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Old 09-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #65
ShadyLane
Recipes 

No one has mentioned anything about the Willamette hops being doubled from the original recipe. Going to brew today with the half oz additions rather than 1 oz. each. I'd suggest "brewing" the coffee in the wort after it's cooled just below 200. 193 would be ideal. Any hotter and you can count on over-extracting the coffee, resulting in off flavors (burnt, overly bitter, sour).

One possible reason for the hop bump up may be if you plan on using coffee in cold press form. Cold press coffee lacks the bitterness of coffee brewed with heat.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #66
mikeho
Recipes 

For what it's worth, some of the feedback I got on this beer from the HBT comp was that there was no detectable hop aroma, and one of the judges felt it was overall too sweet, and that it could use more bittering hops. This was the version with 1 oz of Nugget at 60, 1 oz of Willamette at 30, and 1 oz at 0. I do think that one reason I changed the recipe from the original is that back in the day I didn't have a scale, so I made things easier by going with round numbers.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #67
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed this 5 weeks ago, and the beer was in the fermenter for that entire time. I bottled this morning and the gravity was 1.036 starting at 1.086. I'm not sure if it's done or not as the OP finished at 1.024 and now I fear bottle bombs. Should I dump back in the fermenter and let it ride a bit longer?

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #68
mikeho
Recipes 

5 weeks should be long enough, but 1.036 is pretty high. Is it possible your OG was higher than 1.086 or did you lose some yeast to blowoff? If the gravity hasn't changed over a few days, it's probably done. Did you do all-grain or extract?

Old 10-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #69
Brutus Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeho View Post
5 weeks should be long enough, but 1.036 is pretty high. Is it possible your OG was higher than 1.086 or did you lose some yeast to blowoff? If the gravity hasn't changed over a few days, it's probably done. Did you do all-grain or extract?
This brew was all grain.

It's possible the OG could've been off as I was pretty drunk by time this was done boiling and forgot to take an OG reading. I had the pre boil gravity and pre and post boil volumes so I used the Bg*Bv=Eg*Ev equation to estimate the OG.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #70
Chug
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I kegged this about a week and a half ago and it is phenomenal!! Mine has a bit more body than founders breakfast stout and a little more coffee forward but that is not a bad thing at all. I followed the BYO recipe but skipped the second coffee addition, although I did dump nearly everything into the fermentor from kettle which probably explains the coffee presence. Will brew again!

Also, this was my first time kegging and am pretty sure I overcarbed a tad, which explains the monster head still present halfway through the glass below.

2012-10-26_18-59-58_528.jpg  

Quick Reply