Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout clone (2011 HBT Competition Category 21 winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 12:05 AM   #51
agentEhrman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Brewed this in mid december, kegged it about the 7th of jan, and drank most of it by the end of jan.. It was DELICIOUS. I saved a bit of it and I can say that as good as it was "green," it's amazing with proper aging! Thanks again for sharing the recipe, mikeho!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #52
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What do you guys think of adding a small portion of Briess cherrywood smoked malt to this to approximate the best part of breakfast - bacon!?

Old 03-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #53
mikeho
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Never tried smoked malt, but you can probably find a few other threads where people have tried this. Sounds like Briess cherrywood is recommended, or someone else said hickory smoked.

Primary: Simcoe APA, Smoked Porter
Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Old 07-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #54
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Brewing this recipe up again today, wish it was already brewed so I could have a drink right now! This one is going into a keg when ready, but I want to bottle another batch so I can keep it around longer. Too much to brew, not enough time!

Well, I think that you meant "oz" not "lbs"
Did you brew this from the couch on your porch?

Old 07-23-2012, 09:08 PM   #55
MorningGloryBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Has anybody noticed any head retention problems from having chocolate in the boil? I brewed this last weekend with 2 oz. of bittersweet baking chocolate and was just curious. Gonna put it in secondary (with some cold-brewed coffee) so that less of the separated fat from the chocolate ends up in the bottle. Looking forward to this beer unlike few others that I've brewed...

Old 07-24-2012, 12:12 AM   #56
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I could tell a little bit in the head retention of my first batch. It wasn't anything too major but it was noticable. The beer was absolutely fantastic anyways!

Well, I think that you meant "oz" not "lbs"
Did you brew this from the couch on your porch?

Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #57
mikeho
Recipes 

I haven't noticed any head retention problems. Here is some more info on different types of chocolate and when to add them.

Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Old 07-24-2012, 06:13 PM   #58
MorningGloryBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the link—I actually came across that a couple of hours after plugging the airlock into my fermenter, having put 2 oz. of cacao and 2 oz. of bittersweet into the boil.

I may brew this recipe again in a few weeks without putting any cacao/chocolate in the boil, then soaking a few oz. of cacao in vodka and adding that (along with cold pressed coffee) to secondary. Should fix any head retention problems and it'd be interesting to taste side-by-side with the version with chocolate in the boil...

Old 08-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #59
hop_head76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Has anyone brewed this all grain using the recipe provided by byo? I perused this thread and did not see any mention of over shooting the target og. Based on my ibrewmaster calculations the recipe as is with 13.2 lbs of 2-row and all the other grains at 75% efficiency would yield an og of 1.090. I know with big beers lower than usual efficiencies are to be expected but I routinely get 85%+ on my setup so I think that 75% would be reasonable.in order to hit the og listed in the recipe I would have to expect an efficiency of 65% (a 20% drop). My question to those of you that have brewed the all grain option or similar sized grain bills...Did you follow the recipe as listed? What was your og? What is your typical efficiency?

Would not be the first recipe that byo had mistakes in but they have corrected the ones I've noticed and I have found no corrections on this. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #60
mikeho
Recipes 

I hit 1.084 using about 0.5 lb less 2-row, but all the other grains. The byo OG seems to be just a bit off, it is supposed to be 8.3% ABV, not 7.5% like they say.

Quick Reply