Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout clone (2011 HBT Competition Category 21 winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #41
MikeRoBrew1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

Mikeho thanks for the reply. I don't mean to say I think your method is bad at all, just it seems that cocoa powder may be more effective.

I'm going to follow the lead of Jtd6628 on this small variation I think:

Quote:
I plan on adding the 4 oz of coffee the recipe calls for to 2ndry by cold steeping it. Is this a terrible idea, will it be to much coffee with too little time to mellow out?
2oz of cocoa powder sounds about right for starters.
Quote:
I use 6-8 oz. cacao nibs in 5 gallons, or 1-2 oz. cocoa powder in 5 gallons. Don't overdo it! The idea is to leave the base beer qualities evident while enhancing the chocolate character.
I have heard some people say 60ibu's is great for this beer but I think I will follow your example Mikeho and use about 30 ibu's this time. I am going to shoot for about 7.5%abv in this one, using 11lbs of base grain. I will report back.
Quote:
Use less bittering hops than you think are necessary for the base beer style. Cacao and cocoa powder contribute considerable bitterness, albeit of a somewhat different character than hop bitterness.
Thanks again

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #42
wdchandlersmith
Recipes 

Just wondering, exactly what kind of DME did you use for this? I'm looking at doing this myself, and I'm leaning towards a plain old Breiss Dark DME. Should I reconsider? This will be my first all grain brew, so I'm new to this whole ingredients thing.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #43
mikeho
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

I would say it doesn't matter if you use light or dark DME, as this is a stout. However, you say this is your first all grain, why are you using DME? To reach your gravity since you can't fit all the grain in your mash tun? That's what I did for my first few "all-grain" batches. I guess it really wasn't "all" grain.

Primary: Simcoe APA, Smoked Porter
Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Old 01-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #44
wdchandlersmith
Recipes 

I was just going to stick to the recipe to get things right the first time around? Is there an easier way to do this?

Old 01-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #45
mikeho
Recipes 

Sorry, I had forgotten what I had written, thought I wrote it for all grain. The original recipe http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/art...st-stout-clone says you can make an all grain version by using 13.2 lbs 2-row pale malt. That would be easier. That's what I have done since the first time making this. So just replace the 9 lbs 2-row plus 1 lb DME with 13.2 lbs 2-row.

Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Old 01-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #46
wdchandlersmith
Recipes 

Aaaah, okay. Thanks a lot for that clarification. I'm unreasonably excited to get this cookin'. Thanks a ton for the recipe!

Old 02-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #47
bduane
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this recipe, but i use the "no-chill" method. I think i may have screwed up. I didn't put the coffee in a bag or anything like that, i just put it after i transferred the wort to my cube, when the wort was probably around 200F.

Well, the next day i go to rack it to my primary and pitch the yeast, the coffee smell is overwhelming, and has an almost burnt coffee odor.

I'm guessing this is because of the no chill, so the coffee "brewed" longer than it would normally if you cooled the wort quickly.

Is it normal for the scent/flavor to be so strong, and will it mellow out?

Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 AM   #48
mikeho
Recipes 

I'm not sure, I know you can definitely smell the coffee with the regular chill method. I guess I would say just let it ride, maybe the flavors will mellow with time.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #49
bduane
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeho View Post
I'm not sure, I know you can definitely smell the coffee with the regular chill method. I guess I would say just let it ride, maybe the flavors will mellow with time.
7-8 days fermenting at 65F and it has been very slow the last few days.

Tasted a sample from my hydrometer, tastes great! The coffee aroma and flavor mellowed out considerably, and the chocolate flavor is really coming through (used cocoa powder instead of nibs).

Checked my gravity, 1.027. I took it out of my swamp cooler to room temp and swirled it a bit to try to get the yeast going again a bit, hopefully i can get it down closer to 1.020.

I think i want to adjust the process for adding coffee, avoiding "brewing" the coffee in boiling temperatures, and remove the coffee from the wort after a set amount of time. Basically treat it like im brewing a batch of coffee, you don't want the temperature too high and you don't want to leave hot coffee hot for too long. On the "Wake and Bake" episode of the can you brew it Jamil show all coffee additions were done near the end of fermentation, i'll have to give that a try next time!

Old 03-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #50
arnie7781
Recipes 

Brewed the original byo all-grain version with pacman yeast last night. Really excited about this one! I used 2 ounces of powder at 0 min and threw in 2 ounces of dunkin donuts coffee when the wort was around 185. I used a paint strainer to keep the junk out rather than siphon.

My plan is to dry hop with the nibs and some cold brewed coffee when I rack to a secondary in 10 days. Will report back with results.

Thanks to everyone who posted their various methods. Very helpful.

Quick Reply