Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Founder's Breakfast Stout clone (2011 HBT Competition Category 21 winner)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #31
mikeho
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Yeah, I guess I did that. The original recipe did not say to add a liter of water, instead it says to add the 2 oz of coffee (dry) in the secondary. You could take that liter out of your original water measurement, or boil off a bit more, since you know you'll be adding back a little water, or you could add 2 oz of coffee to the secondary. There are probably lots of ways to add coffee, try one and see how it goes, then post back.

Primary: Simcoe APA, Smoked Porter
Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 PM   #32
Jtd6628
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Here are some sources that I am drawing my info from http://www.byo.com/stories/issue/art...st-stout-clone
also this page suggest not ever adding chocolate and coffee to the boil. http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/f...ocolate-porter
The original recipe calls for 2oz of ground coffee, 2.5 oz bittersweet bakers chocolate, and 1.5 oz unsweetened chocolate baking nibs at flame out.
Because of the info from the second source. I plan on adding the 4 oz of coffee the recipe calls for to 2ndry by cold steeping it. Is this a terrible idea, will it be to much coffee with too little time to mellow out? I also plan on changing the ingredients of the bittersweet bakers chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate baking nibs to just unsweetened cocoa powder, because that is what I already have, also adding this to 2ndry instead of flameout.
Can anyone help with the amount of cocoa powder , which will be put in 2ndry, I should use to replace the 2.5 oz of bittersweet bakers chocolate and the 1.5 oz of unsweetened chocolate baking nibs to get a nice strong chocolate taste that FBS has?

Sent from my iPad2 using HB Talk

Old 11-17-2011, 01:29 AM   #33
mikeho
Recipes 

Cold steeping coffee will extract different flavors than brewing coffee in 200F water. Adding at flameout could mean waiting a few minutes after you start your chiller, so you are no longer at 212F. For reference, another coffee oatmeal stout uses about 2.5 ounces in secondary
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-...-stout-218372/
so I think 4 ounces would be fine.

Cocoa powder is more processed than cocoa nibs, but less processed than Baker's chocolate. I would think you could go with 4 oz of cocoa, and if it comes out too strong or too weak, adjust accordingly for your next batch. Cocoa may even work out better, since it is lower in fat content (cocoa butter) which may affect head retention.

Bottled: Brown Ale, Imperial Red, Simcoe/Columbus APA, Breakfast Stout, Barleywine

Old 12-15-2011, 01:18 PM   #34
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

For the chocolate and coffee in the bag at flame out, do I remove the bag before racking to primary? Or should I leave it in for fermentation? I'm getting ready to start my mash soon, help is greatly appreciated!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #35
mikeho
Recipes 

I removed the bag before racking to primary. I don't know if there's much flavor left in the coffee at that point, but not sure about the cocoa nibs. Anyway, that's how I did it.

agentEhrman Likes This 
Old 12-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #36
MilwaukeeBrewGuy
Recipes 

How long do you suppose this needs to condition for?

Old 12-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #37
mikeho
Recipes 

Looks like I did 25 days at 64 degrees, but 4 weeks should be plenty.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #38
agentEhrman
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Thanks for the recipe btw! Mine came out just a bit strong on the coffee, but I don't have a french press and I think that's why. I intended to steep the 2nd addition and before I knew it, it was boiling. It still tastes absolutely fantastic, but the side by side comparison left me wanting to buy a french press and brew again to see just how close I can get it.

Tasty recipe here!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #39
MikeRoBrew1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 242

So you added grounds at flameout and actually made coffee for the keg?

I see many people using Bakers Chocolate of Chocolate Chips, but according to this:

Quote:
Do not use milk, semi-sweet or baker's chocolate. These chocolates contain cocoa butter and other lipids that can harm the beer's head and lead to staling as the fats go rancid with age and oxygen exposure. Even distribution of the cacao solids in wort or beer requires melting the chocolate and stirring. There is no good way to do this without releasing the fats.
http://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/f...ocolate-porter

It seems like cocoa powder is the easier and more effective way to give a beer chocolate flavor. Any thoughts? Thanks for posting.

Quote:
I use 6-8 oz. cacao nibs in 5 gallons, or 1-2 oz. cocoa powder in 5 gallons.

My brew blog:
http://www.mikerobrew.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter @WakeMikey

Old 01-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #40
mikeho
Recipes 

I have made this beer three times now, and have not seen an effect of fats on head retention. However, I'm sure the info on the maltose falcons site is good. I have also aged this beer for 10 months, and have not detected any off flavors due to the fats going rancid. Maybe the amounts are too small to be detected, or I just don't have a very sensitive palate. I may go with cocoa powder next time just to see if it makes any difference.

Quick Reply