Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Partial - Day after Christmas Eve old ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2010, 06:15 AM   #21
mithion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This beer turned out great. It obviously needs to sit a bit longer to mellow out, but the couple of samples I tried over the holidays, it's already quite drinkable. This particular recipe is quite heavy on the malt side. I'd say it's similar to a belgian quadrupel with a bit less belgian "funk" (probably due to the usage of wyeast 1728 as oppose to a belgian strand). The hops are barely noticeable, but I find I don't miss them in this type of beer. The base is quite fruity and has notes of burnt sugar laced with raisins and plums. I was suprised but all three fruits contributed to the flavors. The raisins and the plums dominate, but the appricot is still discernable. The alcohol is quite hot and its presence reminds me of mellow red wine. Warming but not sharp. Also, the spices come through and I was glad to learn I didn't overdo them. Overall, the beer is very complex and is hard to explain all the flavors. It is however, very appropriate as a spiced ale or strong winter warmer. At 6 months, the beer is drinkable, but isn't quite rounded. I can detect a faint flavor of burnt malt which sticks out and also a mild tartness I expect is coming from the fruit. Both of those are nice flavors, but they just haven't melded yet. I expect this beer to be spectacular next christmas when it will have been 18 months in the bottle.

To answer your specific about the dried fruit, my experience with them is limited to this particular beer. However, I'm really impressed by what they added to the beer. I didn't expect that they would contribute so much flavor and yet they did and I was thrilled. If you want a guesstimate of the amount of flavor, I would say that the quantity I added (that is 3 lbs) is just right for the Old Ale I brewed. The flavors are not overwhelming, but they are a bit more than a simple accent. If you want just a slight accent, I would halve the fruit to maybe 1.5 lbs. Of course, the strength of the beer also determines how the fruit is percieved. 3 lbs in a 6.5% winter warmer would probably be over the top. I wish browsers were equipped with smellovision and tastovision. I don't have the right words to describe how this beer tastes.

Primary:
Secondary: Chimay Tripel #1
Conditioning: The Day After Christmas Eve Old Ale, Phil's Classic English #2
Drinking: Irish Rebellion
Next Beer: Earthly Brown

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 AM   #22
jeeeps
Recipes 

Yeah tastovision would be great!

Thank you for the description!
I ended up racking my hybrid barley wine onto some fresh apricot. I removed the pitts and peeled the fruits just like tomatoes(drop them in boiling water for 30-45 seconds and ''pull'' off the peel), I thought it would help sanitize them and minimize waste.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeeps View Post

I ended up racking my hybrid barley wine onto some fresh apricot. I removed the pitts and peeled the fruits just like tomatoes(drop them in boiling water for 30-45 seconds and ''pull'' off the peel), I thought it would help sanitize them and minimize waste.
Oh wow. You now have the extremely important responsibility of reporting your results with using fresh apricots.

Sounds really tasty. In 6 months, you'll have amazing beer.

Primary:

Old 09-02-2010, 02:05 AM   #24
Stratispho
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeeps View Post

How'd this method turn out?

Old 09-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #25
jeeeps
Recipes 

I haven't tried that beer yet, but at bottling everything seemed normal.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #26
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I still have a few bottles of this stuff left over. They're about 2 years old now. The beer hasn't changed much in the last year or so except the carbonation is almost completely gone. Head retention is also terrible/non-existent at this point but that's probably normal for the age. This beer drinks more like a glass of red wine than it does as a mug of beer. I want to brew the all-grain version I posted earlier but haven't had the chance since it's a bit of an expensive recipe.

Primary:

Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM   #27
SkylerChaBro
Recipes 

Looks interesting, might have to do this one for next winter.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 AM   #28
mithion
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got 4 or 5 bottles left of this stuff. It's been 2 and half years since I brewed this and it's now fully matured. Probably one of my finest beers I've ever made. The original recipe I based this on was for a 7.5% beer. I'm really glad I bumped it up to 10%+ as the alcohol bite is much better at balancing the fruitiness of the beer. Let me know how it turns out.

Primary:

Old 11-24-2011, 01:05 AM   #29
rmedved
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'll be brewing this up after Christmas to be consumed and given as gifts next year. Seems to me, this could pretty easily be turned into a partigyle... anyone tried it, or have any thoughts?

I was thinking the second runnings could just make a simple pale ale or something.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #30
rmedved
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I plan on brewing this next Monday, any thoughts on partigyling this bad boy?

Quick Reply