Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > All-Grain - Crazy Betty's Sweet Potato Pie Ale (AG)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 AM   #11
RandomBeerGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Let me know about how the spice character in your is. Don't forget to throw up a picture. I'm leaving mine alone until october. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Click'Clack Drink'Drunk - 99.9 KISW The Mens Room
----------------------------------------------------

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #12
worstbrewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just drew a sample before adding vanilla and a touch more of spices. Tasting notes so far, rather sweet with slight undertones of spice. If you really think on it you can taste hints of sweet potato but definitely not strong. It's say it reminds me a bit like a brown ale with light spices. I'm going to be very careful with adding spices to this one, as a little seems like it will go a long way, but I'm not quite satisfied with where it's at. More details to come

photo-sep-29-18-32-17.jpg  

Primary: Empty :(
Brewing soon: Munich Dunkel

Old 09-30-2011, 02:52 AM   #13
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Sweet, the color is about the same. Looks awesome. Hope it turns out the way you want it to. Once you add the vanilla let me know if you can taste it during your next sample. Even though I used vanilla I don't taste in the brew itself. I tried another bottle today and its very spicy. Still very drinkable. Tasting Notes of nutmeg and cinnamon this go around.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Alright, I brewed this yesterday with a few changes to the recipe. Here's my recipe:

6.5 lbs Marris Otter
3 lbs Sweet potato boiled for 45 minutes and mashed
1.75 lbs Brown sugar
1.5 lbs Munich
1 lb CaraVienne
.5 lb CaraMunich

1 oz Tettnang @ 60
1 oz Palisades @ 30

8 oz Lactose @ 5
1 tsp Cinnamon @ 5
.5 tsp Nutmeg @ 5
.25 tsp Allspice @ 5

Windsor Ale yeast

Batch Size: 5.5 gal
O.G.: 1.064

Mashed at 158 for 60 minutes. My iodine test was good at the end of the mash, but the hydro sample at the end of the boil still had a starchy flavor to it, but lots of malty sweetness too. Hopefully the starch either settles or fades with time. I will probably adjust the spices in the secondary as well. I'll keep you posted.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #15
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I added 1 tsp Calcium Chloride to the mash to accentuate the maltiness and 1 tsp amylase to help convert the sweet potatoes. Not sure if that was needed or if it helped, be we're experimenting here right?

Old 10-02-2011, 11:35 PM   #16
RandomBeerGuy
Recipes 

Experimenting is correct. That's awesome that we inspired you to brew a sweet potato ale. When I brew this again I will cut down on the spices. Let us how your turns out and post a pic to compare and have some tasting notes.

Old 10-13-2011, 03:20 AM   #17
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Took a hydro reading today: 1.030. Not good. It's also very cloudy. I'm chalking both up to starch. I added 1 tsp amalyse enzyme to the fermenter to try and get the gravity down some. My hope is that a bunch of ungelatinized starches made it into the kettle, where they were gelatinized during the boil. The yeast cannot eat the gelatinized starches, so the gravity is still high. If I'm correct, the amalyse will break down the starch into sugars which the yeast will then eat up. I just hope it doesn't get too thin on me.

Edit: Oh yeah, I tasted the hydro sample too. It tastes like a$$. It's still pretty green though. Needs more spices for sure, but I'm going to work on the F.G. first.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #18
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

There's activity in the airlock again after adding the amylase, so it's finding something to break down into sugar. I'll take another reading in a couple days and see where I'm at. I'll update this thread when I do.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:15 AM   #19
teflontoad
Recipes 

Default Any further results/Testing Done?

I am about to brew a sweet potato beer of my own and all this talk of starch and its effects are making me question how to go about the process. Please let me know what you are finding. Thanks.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
imrook
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I have posted my findings here already. If you don't understand what's going on with the starch, I suggest you read more about the mashing process and gelatinizing starches. From my experience, it seems that a decoction mash is the way to go when using sweet potatoes. There is activity in this thread again: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/swe...riment-211386/ Hopefully the folks over there will keep us updated with the results of their batches.

Quick Reply