Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Basil IPA 07'er

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #31
E-rok
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I am kegging and that is the plan. Problem is the 3724 I used seems to attenuate very slowly. I may let it drop till it sucks at 1035 and pitch souring yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2012, 04:29 AM   #32
dwarven_stout
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post
Raising a dead thread here... I brewed a Citra saison today (should be similar to a St Somewhere Caitlen) 5 gal batch, added 1oz orange peel at 10 min to boil, then about 8 medium sized basil leaves from my plant at 5 min. You think that will even come through? I was thinking orange basil saison with citra. sounds good right? I just want a hint of basil on the nose with the touch of sweet orange as the finish. My problem with saison in the past has been over attenuation. I am hoping to stop ferm at 1.007 this time to retain some body. thoughts?
No way to know for sure until you taste it. 8 leaves of homegrown basil should come through at least a little bit, though.

I brew this beer multiple times a year (this year's first batch took 3rd at NHC, and the second batch is ready to be mailed for the second round). I get *much* better results using homegrown basil or the "living basil" plants as compared to the 4oz bubble packs from the grocery store.

I've also started using a bit of citra right at flameout, and I really think it improves an already great beer.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply