Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Basil IPA 07'er

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2009, 08:04 AM   #21
Jpeverini
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

No no no no, I actually didn't even realize this was an all-grain brew! I just did a search and saw this beer... Well, if that's the case, then I will postpone this brew for a while! I am still a noob and only doing partial mashes. Well, thanks for the help, I guess I need to be a little more careful before asking questions. I blame it on the noob effect, and should wear off shortly, haha.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #22
Shinglejohn
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

You can do this as a partial mash. just substitute out some of the Marris Otter for DME.

Something in the area of 4lbs Marris Otter and 3-4lbs of DME, and do the rest of the recipe the same, youll just have to adjust the mash.

Last edited by Shinglejohn; 01-06-2010 at 05:01 AM.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #23
Phishalot
Recipes 

Coming from a culinary school graduate and working with herbs alot, I know that your best best for getting FRESH basil characteristics is to dry-hop the basil and or take your basil and infuse it into your priming sugar simple syrup... when the freshly picked basil is added to the boil... all of the essential delicious oils are evaporated and you get left with just a useless, weak, and stale taste. If you are worried about contaminates which is always a good thing to think about, it most likely be okay since you have very hot wort still. But I really recommend if you are to add ANY herb, add it by dry-hopping, priming sugar, bottling (worked amazing), or into secodary.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:06 PM   #24
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishalot View Post
when the freshly picked basil is added to the boil... all of the essential delicious oils are evaporated and you get left with just a useless, weak, and stale taste.
This is not accurate, at least in this beer. The amount of basil added in the boil is enough to add a distinctive nose and flavor to the finished beer. For my taste, it's right at the edge of "how much is too much". No one wants a pesto beer, after all.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 03-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #25
bsteggeman
Recipes 

I just added a few ounces of raw lemon peel to a hefeweizen I'm brewing that's currently in secondary. The instructions from Midwest Supplies had me microwave the peel for 30 seconds to sanitize it. It was definitely steaming hot when it came out (probably the high oil content of the zest).

Would microwaving, or maybe blanching the basil be sufficient to sanitize it enough for dry hopping?

What about just dunking it in a Star San solution for 30 seconds before adding it to the fermenter?

Old 09-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #26
krashka
Recipes 

HI Evan
Very, very intrigued by this recipe. Do you chop the basil to measure it or just grab loose leaves to approximate 0.5 cups?

Cheers!
Kay

Old 09-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #27
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by krashka View Post
HI Evan
Very, very intrigued by this recipe. Do you chop the basil to measure it or just grab loose leaves to approximate 0.5 cups?

Cheers!
Kay
Krashka, I haven't seen Evan! around for a while, so you may or may not get an "official" response. I will tell you that I've brewed this recipe several times now, and I think it's definitely worth your while. The first time I brewed it, I did basil by 1/4cup 1/2cup 1/2cup, but I weighed each addition as well. The times I brewed it since, I did the basil by weight and not dry measure. I used 1/4oz 3/8oz 3/8oz for a total of 1oz. The basil comes through very nicely with that amount. I've also been adding a 1/4oz citra to the dry hop to punch up the citrus just a tad.

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #28
AndyHannas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

i just had my first bottle of my Basil Blossom IPA and loved it. i brewed an extract West Coast IPA with Cascade and Centennial hops and Safale US05. Then i dry hopped in the secondary with an ounce of Cascade and an ounce of the unopened buds from basil plants that had bolted and were about to bloom. This was i think added the perfect amount of musky basil aroma without making a beer that was too vegetal in flavor.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 AM   #29
E-rok
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Raising a dead thread here... I brewed a Citra saison today (should be similar to a St Somewhere Caitlen) 5 gal batch, added 1oz orange peel at 10 min to boil, then about 8 medium sized basil leaves from my plant at 5 min. You think that will even come through? I was thinking orange basil saison with citra. sounds good right? I just want a hint of basil on the nose with the touch of sweet orange as the finish. My problem with saison in the past has been over attenuation. I am hoping to stop ferm at 1.007 this time to retain some body. thoughts?

Old 05-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #30
Guidry
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Have no idea about the flavors coming thru. PLanning on brewing my first Saison this weekend. As far as for stopping the fermentation, are you bottling or kegging? If kegging, maybe you could monitor the SG and when it hits your desired, keg it and chill it down immediately. Wouldn't that stop the fermentation? Bottleing would be a little tougher chore, but maybe a similar effort would work?

Quick Reply