Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer > Basil IPA 07'er

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #11
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagington View Post
How does the final product taste? Big Basil flavor, or is it subtle? What about the aroma?
It's relatively subtle, but certainly noticeable, both on the nose and the palate. I think I've struck a perfect balance by using a maltier IPA as the base beer, because the hops and the basil really compete for attention and it's a great interplay.

I brewed my 08'er a few weeks ago, gonna rack into the keg this weekend.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 PM   #12
JustSchrager
Recipes 

Seems to me that basil would be a good candidate for dry hopping/basiling. Have you tried this?

Primary: IPA
Secondary: Mexican Chocolate Stout
Bottle: Oberon Wheat Clone
Bottle: Cream Ale

Old 05-06-2009, 11:51 PM   #13
Evan!

Recipes 

No, I'm a little concerned about the bugs/bacteria/wild yeast that might be on it. This basil comes right off the plant in my garden, while I'm brewing, straight into the kettle...and basil doesn't have the antiseptic properties of hops...so, no, I haven't dry-basiled these beers. Believe me, you get PLENTY of basil from the boil. When I brew my Basilbrau, I'm brewing it to be a hoppy beer with nice, integrated basil contingent. I'm not looking for the IPA's of basil beer...where the profile is all basil. Dry-basiling, I'd think, would just throw it out of whack. Believe me when I say that I have pretty much nailed the recipe when it comes to restrained but expressive basil character for an IPA---but hey, if you want a super-basily beer, then by all means try 'er out. Let us know what happens...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #14
JustSchrager
Recipes 

Just throwing the idea out there. Sounds like a really fun recipe.

Primary: IPA
Secondary: Mexican Chocolate Stout
Bottle: Oberon Wheat Clone
Bottle: Cream Ale

Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #15
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

My curiosity is piqued and I've got about 20 lbs of MO left in my sack. I love basil and I never thought of doing this. one question, though: I shudder at the thought of putting 1.5 lbs of honey malt into ANYTHING. does it not come out almost sacharrine sweet? I used 5 oz in an ESB and it nearly overpowered the brew, especially as a young beer.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:50 AM   #16
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
My curiosity is piqued and I've got about 20 lbs of MO left in my sack. I love basil and I never thought of doing this. one question, though: I shudder at the thought of putting 1.5 lbs of honey malt into ANYTHING. does it not come out almost sacharrine sweet? I used 5 oz in an ESB and it nearly overpowered the brew, especially as a young beer.
I've made this several times, and it's never come out sweet at all. I got the idea for honey from Bison's Honey Basil Ale. You obviously can't use honey, and I dialed it in pretty low at first, and you didn't really get much flavor at all from half an ounce. If you're concerned about it, mash lower, or dial it down to 16oz...but I'm tellin' ya...it's never been a problem for me.

Actually...I think I might have an updated recipe in ProMash. I'll check my other compy...hold on...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 05-15-2009, 12:54 AM   #17
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snailsongs View Post
I've made this several times, and it's never come out sweet at all. I got the idea for honey from Bison's Honey Basil Ale. You obviously can't use honey, and I dialed it in pretty low at first, and you didn't really get much flavor at all from half an ounce. If you're concerned about it, mash lower, or dial it down to 16oz...but I'm tellin' ya...it's never been a problem for me.

Actually...I think I might have an updated recipe in ProMash. I'll check my other compy...hold on...

...yeah, I was wrong. My final recipe had 10.75lbs pale malt, 1.5lbs victory, 0.5lbs honey malt. So go with that.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 AM   #18
snailsongs
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks Evan, that sounds like a more reasonable amount of honey malt, though I likely would have taken you're word for it if you'd been adamant....As soon as my basil gets going good I'm on this one!

Old 11-18-2009, 12:51 AM   #19
Jpeverini
Recipes 

I am trying to follow the recipe (noob) and I get it up until here;

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.50 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 15 Min.(boil)
0.25 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 8 Min.(boil)
0.50 Cup(s) Cinnamon-Basil Spice 2 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

Danstar Nottingham

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Multi Step

Grain Lbs: 12.00
Water Qts: 15.63 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.91 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.30 - Before Additional Infusions

Acid Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Protein Rest Temp : 0 Time: 0
Intermediate Rest Temp : 133 Time: 30
Saccharification Rest Temp : 151 Time: 45
Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 20
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 4.87 - Dough-In Infusion Only

Does the basil go into the boil? and then get strained out going into primary. Also, how do you read the mash schedule, I am going crazy trying to understand what a multi-step is and how to follow the recipe. thanks for the help, and sorry for bringing an old post back!

Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #20
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpeverini View Post
Does the basil go into the boil? and then get strained out going into primary. Also, how do you read the mash schedule, I am going crazy trying to understand what a multi-step is and how to follow the recipe. thanks for the help, and sorry for bringing an old post back!
I made this beer for the first time a couple months ago (with a couple minor tweaks), and believe me- you're going to be glad you put the effort in!

The basil goes in the boil and, like hops, stays behind in the boil kettle when you rack to primary.

As far as the mash schedule- have you done much all-grain brewing? Are you actually planning on brewing this all-grain, or translating it to partial mash? I don't mean to be offensive here- I'm just trying to make sure I give helpful advice. Evan! can feel free to jump in and disagree, of course. ;-)

If you're new to all-grain, forget the multi-step mash. Do a single infusion of half your total boil volume to hit 151. The temp you'll need for your strike will depend on your system, but should be around 160-162. Mash for 30m, then drain. Sparge with the rest of the water at around 185 to get the grain up to 165-168 and call it a day.

The step at 133 can help head formation and retention, but can be neglected. Skipping mashout might hurt efficiency a point or two, but on this beer it shouldn't be significant. Removing these two steps will make the day a fair bit easier.

Hope that helped.

Quick Reply