Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Wild Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 04:03 AM   #51
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 206 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Oh another thing, you didn't seem to put the berries in a bag, is there a reason? The other strawberry beers all seem to, they say that without it you get a lot of seeds that float and can be hard to filter out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #52
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1901 Times on 1880 Posts
Likes Given: 5

No real reason. Just never have. A buddy of mine does and his last batch came out clearer than mine. I always felt like since you are racking again you can avoid some of the seeds and stuff. It certainly wouldn't hurt to put them in a bag but make it a big bag.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:00 AM   #53
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dying for this Saturday, ill probably just be cold crashing and carbing at the same time in the keg in my keezer, then just pulling the sediment out on the first few pints The liquid that came out into the bucket with strawberries was so damn clear, you could hardly even tell there was liquid flowing through the siphon. Then i put the strawberries in and my bucket instantly turned pink lol...god i hope it doesnt stain the inside

Im wondering if i should bother with gelatin or not, i did use whirlflock in the boil...guess ill take a look at a bit when i move it to the keg to see if it needs it.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #54
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So tasted this today and its interesting, both me and the gf almost got more of a grapefruit smell and flavor from it, I'm wondering if it's just the tartness. I plan on moving it into my keg tomorrow with some gelatin to clear it up. Has anyone ever back sweetened this? Since I'm going to be kegging this I may throw some sugar of some sort into it, since at 40f the yeast shouldn't be active. Gonna try it cold and carbonated before I make a decision though.

Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM   #55
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Never tried to backsweeten. I wouldn want it that sweet personally. This beer usually mellows very well and some of that tartness will disappear.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:32 AM   #56
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It tastes good, just not like strawberry's like i said...atleast thats not the first thing that would come to mind. If i gave this to someone and told them it was a grapefruit beer they would never second guess We'll see how it comes out im probably not going to backsweeten. Its in the keezer kegged with some gelatin, since i didnt go into a tertiary for 7 days to clear it...just hoping to cold crash it all out with some gelatin. Maybe some of the flavor profile i was getting was from all the suspended yeast in the keg....we shall see!

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 09-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #57
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So not sure what i did wrong, but mine is cloudy as hell...not sure if its chill haze or what. I didnt go into a tertiary, i went straight into a keg with gelatin figuring that it would clear out and everything would settle and i'd pull the yeast/trub off in the first few pints. Its been over a week @ 40F and probably 6 pints and still cloudy like a hefe....

Interesting note though, i accidentally left a half glass on my desk for a few days and it settled out clear with sediment at the bottom.

The beer is becoming a lot more tasty now though, it was a bit tart the first few days.

View Current Brew via my BrewPi setup!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:17 AM   #58
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

Not racking to tertiary could be the problem. But i will say due to the amount of berries i have not had this beer get extremely clear. I have had friends that have but i have not. Tertiary and good cold crash make mine come very close though.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #59
RC0032
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 11

How many lbs of beery s are people using?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #60
WildGingerBrewing

Recipes 

I use 8 lbs, frozen.

Quick Reply