Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Watermelon Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #21
CaptKiRkLeS
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Dubbel, how much watermelon did you need to get the 4 cups?
I am brewing this saturday and transfer to secondary the next week so I just need a ballpark on how many melons i need.

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 03:23 PM   #22
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 11

One meduim-ish one? Was probably about basketball size... That actually gave me 6 cups, so volleyball size for 4 cups?

I brewed v.4 of mine this past weekend... It's rockin' away in primary. This time I went with 5 lbs pils, 5 lbs wheat, and .5 Mt. Hood. I left out the honey. Going to go with 4-6 cups of whatever I get out of my wife's food processor. Not sure I'm up for mashing and straining by hand again!

No real need on my part to change it up, but will experiment until I dial a perfect one in.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #23
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks. I'm doing a extract w/specialty grain version.

And what about sanitation...any precautions I should take prepping/fermenting the watermelon?

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #24
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptKiRkLeS View Post
Thanks. I'm doing a extract w/specialty grain version.

And what about sanitation...any precautions I should take prepping/fermenting the watermelon?
I washed the outside of the watermelon before I cut it with sanitized knife. I also sanitized the cutting board and such. But I didn't pasteurize the fruit or anything. There's alcohol in the beer at that point, so RDWHAHB.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:37 AM   #25
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Racked this to secondary tonight.This pics about 10 minutes after I racked so as you can see it took off within minutes. I just noticed your pic says 6 cups ( not to mention a few posts above ) but the recipe says 4. I wish I read the thread first as mine doesn't seem as pink as yours. I did 5 but it only took 1/2 a basketball size ripe melon so I could have done 6 no problem. Hope the taste comes through.
DD,
Have you done both amounts? If so which do you prefer? It's probably a matter of preference I guess but I love watermelon.I did 5 lbs pils, 5 lbs wheat, and 1 hallertau.

Last edited by RandalG; 06-30-2010 at 04:02 AM.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #26
DubbelDach
Recipes 

I actually did 6.... But wished I did 4. What will I do for this batch? No clue.... I just kind of go with my gut when it comes time to add stuff. No right or wrong answer.

Part of why I was thinking to go with only 4 cups was the issue of head retention. My 6 cup batch was carbonated, but no head. I figured that 4 cups might be better. This current batch however, will be force carbed on draught. So.... Might I do the 6 cups again? Maybe? Game time decision.

Side note, I have read that there are enzymes and such in pineapple that affect head retention... Anyone officially know if there is such a thing in watermelon? Because that's the only thing that bugged me about the last batch.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 06-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #27
RandalG
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'll let you know how mine turns out. This morning there was pink krausen bubbling out of the top of the airlock. I never would have thought I needed a blow off on a secondary. Although I wish I would have on the primary as the same thing happened. Next time for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach View Post
Side note, I have read that there are enzymes and such in pineapple that affect head retention... Anyone officially know if there is such a thing in watermelon? Because that's the only thing that bugged me about the last batch.
This happened to me on the last blueberry blonde I did. Most of the batch was carbed with no head. I thought it was from not having my priming sugar mixed well enough but now I'm wondering if this is why because it bugged me too.

Last edited by RandalG; 07-01-2010 at 01:26 AM.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #28
DubbelDach
Recipes 

OK, just added melon to Watermelon Wheat v.4.

Due to time constraints and needing my 6 gallon fermenter on Saturday, I racked the beer to 2ndary then and now, on Tuesday night, added the watermelon juice. Here are some pics to illustrate how I obtained and added the juice:

This was about a basketball sized melon:

I cut it in half and went to town with an ice cream scoop. Real nice for scooping and scraping.

One half of a melon filled a stainless bowl that I had. I did sanitize the bowl, pitchers, and all utensils with Starsan (you'll see the foam in pics)

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 07-07-2010, 01:01 AM   #29
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Then I went to town with a potato masher. Didn't get everything real fine, just released the juice.

Side note: Seedless watermelon is not seedless!

Then, I added a little bit at a time to a fine strainer and used the masher to squeeze the love out of it.

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 07-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #30
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Did this and got a little less than 6 cups from half the melon. Started on the second half to get me 6 cups (yes, after all that talk about 4 cups... I did 6 again. Game time decision!

Here's my wheat beer, already in 2ndary in front. A light summer ale (based on a cream ale) is behind it.

Used a funnel to pour in my 6 cups and BOOM: Pink beer!

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Quick Reply