Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Watermelon Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2013, 11:57 AM   #271
NativeSun
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbelDach

For this, I go 1 week primary, 1 week 2ndary with the juice. But read your hydrometer.

Wheat beers = best consumed fresh.
My attempt on the watermelon wheat is in the primary bucket. I did a refractometer reading yesterday and today. I didn't take a picture of it which I should have but it gave me a reading of 6 (1.024). Today's reading was very close to it, but I feel like it may have went up slightly to something like 6.2. Should I still proceed with transferring it to my secondary carboy with the watermelon juice?

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #272
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 45

How long has yours been in primary and at what temp?

Drinking: Beer

Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 AM   #273
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer
How long has yours been in primary and at what temp?
It was in there for a 8 days ranging 8 degrees bc of no stable cooling conditions from 66-74.

I moved it into the carboy after I got a 1.024 from my refractometer. SG was 1.048, I figure that it will go down the rest of the way in the carboy..I already had some foam come out of the air lock (I cleaned it up). So I'm going to wait till next Sunday and take a gravity reading and if its at 1.012 I'm going to bottle it if not ill let it longer.

Attached are the photos in chronological order:

1. Refractometer reading
2. Juice prefiltered
3 nylon sock used to strain
4. Sweater I'm covering it with
5 . After sitting for 8 hours
6. Not sure what its called forming on the bottom. Maybe the yeast still working hard?
image-208766488.jpg   image-1297264060.jpg   image-4265299630.jpg   image-3019409806.jpg   image-2135848902.jpg  

image-1890667241.jpg  

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Old 04-29-2013, 03:01 AM   #274
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

When you guys are adding the watermelon, what do you do for sanitation? When I made my Banana Cream Ale, I blended the bananas with a little rum to kill any nasties. I'm getting ready to make this beer and wondering if when time to add the watermelon juice should I blend it with a little vodka or something to be safe?

Primary: None
Secondary: Rasputin's Beard, KBBA Clone
Kegged: Sam Adams Scotch Ale Clone, Irish Car Bomb Stout, Cream Ale
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Old 04-29-2013, 03:58 AM   #275
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreck99 View Post
When you guys are adding the watermelon, what do you do for sanitation? When I made my Banana Cream Ale, I blended the bananas with a little rum to kill any nasties. I'm getting ready to make this beer and wondering if when time to add the watermelon juice should I blend it with a little vodka or something to be safe?
I didn't do anything to actually sanitize the juice. The alcohol in the beer will take care if that. Just sanitize anything the juice may come in contact with before it goes in secondary. Sanitize the outside of the melon,knife, cutting board, spoons, bowl, strainer, etc

Old 04-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #276
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer View Post
I didn't do anything to actually sanitize the juice. The alcohol in the beer will take care if that. Just sanitize anything the juice may come in contact with before it goes in secondary. Sanitize the outside of the melon,knife, cutting board, spoons, bowl, strainer, etc
Ok thanks. I tend to get very anal when it comes to sanitation and making beer. Fortunately I haven't had any issues yet so just making sure.

Primary: None
Secondary: Rasputin's Beard, KBBA Clone
Kegged: Sam Adams Scotch Ale Clone, Irish Car Bomb Stout, Cream Ale
Bottled: None

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #277
DubbelDach
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer View Post

This!

DD's All-Grain Tutorial

Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #278
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It's been about 5 days since I added the watermelon juice and transferred the wort into the glass carboy. I came up a bit short with the amount of liquid even though I used 7 total gallons brewing. My current refractometer reading was steady at 5 which is where it had been since it was in the primary fermentor. Should I keep it in the glass longer so it reaches the 1.012 FG? The other picture is how I'm covering the carboy. My temp in my apartment fluctuates almost degrees so its tough to keep a consistent temp.

image-1180670065.jpg   image-3936472437.jpg  

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Old 05-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #279
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSun View Post
It's been about 5 days since I added the watermelon juice and transferred the wort into the glass carboy. I came up a bit short with the amount of liquid even though I used 7 total gallons brewing. My current refractometer reading was steady at 5 which is where it had been since it was in the primary fermentor. Should I keep it in the glass longer so it reaches the 1.012 FG? The other picture is how I'm covering the carboy. My temp in my apartment fluctuates almost degrees so its tough to keep a consistent temp.
I'd just keep checking your hydro reading. If it's the same in a few days you should be good. Mine was done pretty fast. I think 7 and 7.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #280
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhamer

I'd just keep checking your hydro reading. If it's the same in a few days you should be good. Mine was done pretty fast. I think 7 and 7.
I tasted a bit of it today. I could taste the watermelon but it is also quite bitter. I'm thinking of adding the watermelon extract..maybe not all but just a bit to calm the bitterness down. I'm all for bitter hoppy tastes but not in the fruit beers.

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Quick Reply