Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > All-Grain - Watermelon Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #241
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I primary until fermentation is complete, perhaps 2 weeks, then cold crash. I thoroughly wash 10 lbs of field-fresh strawberries from a roadside patch and give them a one minute soak in starsan before hulling the berries and slicing them up with a sanitized knife on a sanitized cutting board. Then the fruit goes into a sanitized container and is frozen solid overnight. I then thaw the fruit in the fridge for 48 hours. I pour the now-macerated fruit and juices into the secondary bucket and rack the cold beer on top. Age for 10 days under refrigeration, rack to keg and force carb. The beer smells like freshly picked strawberries crushed in your hands, yet it still tastes like a good wheat beer first with an oh-so delicate strawberry taste. It takes on the lightest shade of rose-yellow. It's a great summertime beer.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

SLRSLY Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #242
SLRSLY
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the info.
I'll let this thread get back on track now

Old 03-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #243
sazerac6
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been paying attention to this thread closely, as I've gotten a request from my wife to brew a watermelon beer. This seems like a great recipe with some positive feedback. I read earlier that someone contemplated foregoing secondary, and just added the watermelon juice to the primary. I'm not sure if this was done or not. Has anyone tried this?

Old 03-24-2013, 01:30 AM   #244
SLRSLY
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLRSLY View Post
Sorry to bump this old thread but after reading through each yesterday I immediately ran to my LHBS and grabbed the ingredients.
Can not wait to try it. Thanks for the thread!
Well it's been just over a month since I brewed this. I decided to take a sample of it tonight to see how it's carbing. It's pretty good but I think it needs a little more time in the keg. There is a lovely watermelon aroma but I was hoping for a little more flavor. I'm considering adding another ounce of extract. Any thoughts on this? Maybe I could even add a couple more cups of fresh watermelon juice.
I'm no beer judge but it reminds me of Hoegaarden, which I'm personally a big fan of. Similar color and mouthfeel. It looks much darker in the picture than it actually is. It tastes very 'clean' but I can't really describe what I'm trying to say. Clean is the best word I can think of to describe it. Maybe crisp is a better way to put it.
I did learn one very valuable lesson through this beer. I will never try to carb a keg using any of the burst carb methods again. This has been on 16PSI for just one week and it's already so much better than any of my other kegs that I felt like I was constantly fighting with while rushing the carb.

I'm very happy that I came across this thread. Thanks to all who contributed

Old 03-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #245
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm attempting my first all grain brew after making 3 extract recipes. Attached is the photo of the ingredients I bought of the watermelon wheat. I take with the brewer at the store and helped me find the closest ingredients. I still have a long way from making this because I just bottled my pumpkin ale. I'm going to wait for that to finish before I start the all grain recipe. It gives me a chance to do a bit more research but I am really excited for this brew.

Attached Images

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Old 04-05-2013, 08:52 PM   #246
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

My wife has been begging me to brew another batch of this but I am a little hesitant since I had to end up dumping out a case and a half of my last batch. I am almost positive I picked up a wild yeast strain from the watermelon that cause all my bottles to be gushers and two to explode on me.

Do you think the watermelon flavor would be affected if I brought the juice up to a simmer and then cooled before adding to my secondary just to make sure any wild critters are dead?

Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Habanero IPA, Heady Topper clone
Bottled: Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck:100% Brett IPA, Watermelon Wheat
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 04-05-2013, 10:51 PM   #247
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmatt View Post

Do you think the watermelon flavor would be affected if I brought the juice up to a simmer and then cooled before adding to my secondary just to make sure any wild critters are dead?
Yes, it will be. I made a watermelon sorbet last 4th of July. I heated the fresh watermelon juice up to dissolve the sugar (a poor choice, I should have just made a thick simple syrup solution and added it to the fresh melon juice). The slightly cooked juice tasted nasty. I'd revisit your sanitization techniques outside of the fruit (is the bowl sanitary etc).

Edit: your could always go the sorbate/campden route to ensure the juice is clean.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #248
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks for the input. This was the first and only infection I have had and have brewed many batches since with no problems so it was definitely from the watermelon addition. I have brewed this recipe successfully a few times so I will just have to be especially careful with sanitation this go around...

-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 AM   #249
NativeSun
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This is going to be my first grain recipe. I have all my grains bought just not the melon. I want it to be fresh.

Some guy at my homebrew store suggested starting out with 3 gallons of water steeping all the grains for an hour and afterwards take the grains and pour sanitized water over it to strain all the sugars from the grains into a bucket or back into the kettle.

What do you think of that? Also what is the SG and FG? I can't find the website that gave all that Info.

I'm really excited to make this brew!

NJ Beer Connoisseur

Old 04-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #250
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSun View Post
This is going to be my first grain recipe. I have all my grains bought just not the melon. I want it to be fresh.

Some guy at my homebrew store suggested starting out with 3 gallons of water steeping all the grains for an hour and afterwards take the grains and pour sanitized water over it to strain all the sugars from the grains into a bucket or back into the kettle.

What do you think of that? Also what is the SG and FG? I can't find the website that gave all that Info.

I'm really excited to make this brew!
Do you not have the equipment (mash tun, kettle capable of a full boil) for all grain yet? What you are suggesting is the basic concept of all grain brewing but if you want your beer to turn out well you need to be much more precise with your water amounts and temperature.

The recipe provided has an OG of 1.049 and anticipated FG of 1.012 but those numbers will vary depending on your efficiency and brewing/fermentation techniques...
-=My Keezer Build=-

Quick Reply