Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Watermelon Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2010, 04:52 AM   #21
HarkinBanks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I have been watching this thread for a while and I finally made a run at this one tonight. Here are the details:

48% 2-row
48% Wheat
4% C-15

Mash at 154
Target OG 1.053
Target FG 1.013
Target ABV 5.2%
Yeast S-05

60 min boil
1 oz Amarillo at 45 min
1 oz Amarillo at 0 min

Ferment at 65 degrees

Add 1 dram of Lorann Watermelon flavoring to secondary

-------

I am a big fan of 3 Floyd's Gumballhead and 21A Hell or Highwatermelon wheat. This appears to draw nicely from both. I think with the flavoring in the secondary I will end up with something similar to 21A, but with a little more hop, so we will see. I love Amarillo hops, so thanks to the BlueHaze with this one and thanks to NG for being my guinea pig with the flavoring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #22
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I was lucky enough to stumble into a 'grandma's pantry' type of place while on vacation with the family. I found the complete line up of LorAnn oils. I picked up a peach and a strawberry flavoring. I think I'm going to do a bunch of flavored beers this fall!

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:03 PM   #23
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I racked my batch on Sunday and added the flavoring. It is certainly candy oil, very artificial smelling. I am sure it will mellow in the beer. One thing I did notice on the lorann website is that some of their oils are insoluable in water.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:30 PM   #24
Bluehaze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
I racked my batch on Sunday and added the flavoring. It is certainly candy oil, very artificial smelling. I am sure it will mellow in the beer. One thing I did notice on the lorann website is that some of their oils are insoluable in water.

Sorry, I guess I did not mention that some of them are not water soluble. I have always added the flavoring to the primary to tone down that "candy" flavor, but to each their own.

Best of luck HarkinBanks, and please give us an update once you finish and taste this beer.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #25
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

No biggie Bluehaze, I just found that some of the Lorann oils were insoluable in water. The watermellon and several others they have are soluable. I wanted to let others know to check on them before they went out and bought some funky flavors. Honestly, I have no idea what would happen if you added an insoluable one to beer?

I racked to the keg last night and took a FG of 1.008 for a 5.4% ABV, not bad, probably a little dry, but that always seems to happen when I use S-05. The taste was pretty darn good after 10 days in the secondary with the flavor added. It was eerily similar to 21A Hell or Highwatermellon wheat in flavor and aroma. I know they guard this recipe pretty tight, but something tells me they are using artificial flavoring. They may add some real watermellon juice, but this stuff is very similar. I am going to put on the gas tonight and should be ready this weekend to pull my first sample.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 07-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #26
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarkinBanks View Post
It was eerily similar to 21A Hell or Highwatermellon wheat in flavor and aroma. I know they guard this recipe pretty tight, but something tells me they are using artificial flavoring. They may add some real watermellon juice, but this stuff is very similar.
I made a similar note earlier in this thread and I still completely agree with this statement.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:29 PM   #27
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I got to try this. If that oil works out great, there are so many others I would like to try!

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 08-02-2010, 04:43 AM   #28
HarkinBanks
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Oh Bluehaze, you are the reason HBT is the best. That watermelon oil is absolutely perfect for this beer! I tapped the keg this afternoon and this beer is exactly what I was looking for. A little bit of Gumballhead and a lot of 21A Hell or Highwatermelon wheat. This is a great summer beer. My wife really enjoyed it as well. For me, adding the oil to the secondary was the way to go, but everyone has their preferences. I get a great watermelon aroma and first taste, followed by a little amarillo and a clean finish, no aftertaste. The beer I made is almost a dead ringer for 21A. I will stop at the beer store this week and get a can so I can do a side by side comparison. Thanks for posting your original recipe.

6th Street Brewing Company

Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #29
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was going to add the ingredients to my Austin Homebrew order but they dont carry Light LME, only Light DME. Im thinking about just ordering 6lbs of Wheat LME.
What do you think?????

Tap 1: Galaxy IPA
Tap 2: Bourbon Honey Brown Ale
Primary 1: Centential Blonde
Primary 2: Belgian IPA
Secondary:
Bottled: American Barleywine
On Deck: Torpedo IPA

Old 10-12-2010, 03:06 PM   #30
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Oops I did it again....

First I LOVE the watermelon beer I made with the lorann oil. See the recipe around page 1 or 2 of this thread.

Second, I have variety of these candy extracts sitting around. I also like to push boundaries of my 5 gallon cooler and 10 gallon boil kettle. So I decided to make a 9 gallon all grain batch that I would split as 2 4.5 gal batches with flavoring in each. This time I'm going for Strawberry and Peach.

I mashed at the max for my system, 13 pounds of two row in the cooler at 150 for an hour. I ran that into the kettle along with 2.5 ounces of hersbrucker hops as a first wort hop. No other hops were used.

During the sparge, I steeped 1 pound of Carared in 1.75 gals of water and then added 1 pound of cane sugar and 1 pound of Breiss Sparkling Amber DME. This extract mix was added after the boil started.

Boiled it for an hour and added some extra low OG run off from the mash tun to maintain 9 gals in the kettle. Added whirlfloc and irish moss at the 15 min mark and at flamout, popped the top on the kettle and let it cool via the no-chilll process.

I'll siphon the 9 gallons into the 2 carboys roughly 20 hours after flamout and pitch the US-05 yeast. Early next week I'll add the flavoring and then in 3 weeks I'll bottle it. Should be interesting. Thanks again for the idea, Bluehaze.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: #31 - Fruit beer of unusual size (FBOUS) #1
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Blonde Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications

Batch Size: 9.00 gal
Boil Size: 11.32 gal
Estimated OG: 1.055 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 20.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:

Code:
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
1 lbs         DME Sparklinf Amber (Briess) (10.5 SRM)   Dry Extract  6.25 %        
13 lbs        Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM)     Grain        81.25 %       
1 lbs         Carared (Weyermann) (24.0 SRM)            Grain        6.25 %        
2.50 oz       Hallertauer Hersbrucker - Hops on Hand [3.Hops         20.5 IBU      
1.00 items    Campden Tablet (Mash 0.0 min)             Misc                       
1.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)                Misc                       
1.00 items    Lorrann Peach Flavoring (Secondary 0.0 minMisc                       
1.00 items    Lorrann Strawberry flavoring (Secondary 0.Misc                       
1.00 tbsp     PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min)         Misc                       
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1 lbs         Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM)               Sugar        6.25 %        
2 Pkgs        SafAle US-05 (DCL Yeast #US-05)           Yeast-Ale

N_G
It could be worse.

Quick Reply