Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Watermelon Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2010, 02:34 AM   #11
Bluehaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

any update yet N_G?

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I brewed this on May 6th and pitched it on the 7th (I use a no-chill process). The Wyeast 1010 (Amer. Wheat) built a strong krausen up until the 16th when it began to slowly fall. I've been waiting for the krausen to clear before putting it in secondary. I was expecting this to happen either tonight or by Friday. I'll add the candy extract at that time and then bottle within a week or 2. So its coming along and I'm still excited about it. I saw watermelons at the local Trader Joe's yesterday and they made me think about this beer again.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:42 PM   #13
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Krausen finally fell over the weekend. This is like the 5'th time I've re-used this wheat yeast and based on what I'm seeing for floculation, I won't harvest this one again. I'll go to secondary and add flavor tonight or tomorrow.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I went to secondary on the 26th. Halfway through the racking process I added the contents of the lorann flavoring. That stuff is potent and will make your homebrewery smell pleasantly of watermelons for a few hours upon opening.

My SG for nearly 5 gallons was 1.059 and last night it was 4.75 gallons sitting at 1.003.

I tasted it an hour after racking and was pleasantly surprised at the nice aroma and mild quality of the flavoring. Its good stuff and once I get the yeast to drop it will be a nice beer.There is a boozy quality from the 7.3% in there and maybe I over attenuated. But bottle carbonation may help mask that and there is always the possibility that the watermelon flavor will hide the booze.

So far I am jazzed about it and am thinking of a use for the cherry and orange flavors I got in the 5-pack from e-bay. Cherry porter maybe?

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #15
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I bottled 50 12-ouncers last night. This stuff is GOOD. Excellent aroma, a pleasing amount of watermelon flavor. The rather large alcohol content (see earlier post) has left it still tasting boozy but maybe some carbonation a will take care of that.

One other thought. I know its not yet mature, but I used hersbrucker hops in this one. I think I favor the sweetness of French sttrisselspalt hop in this recipe. The hersbrucker did a nice job bittering (something I have trouble getting the Fr. Strisselspalt to do) but my memory of the Fr. Strisselspalt is suggests that it had a sweeter more floral note which works well with watermelon. I guess I have to make another batch!

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I cracked a bottle last night. The yeast had dropped and it was very clear. I imbibded it at 78 degrees, so that will factor into my perceptions. The watermelon aroma is potent but not overwhelming. The aroma is somewhat bright and candy like; it doesn't have the earthy smell that the natural watermelon had. If you have had the 21A Hell or High Watermelon then it is very similar in aroma quality.

There is a distinct watermelon flavor but it isn't overwhelming... you just know its watermelon. It tastes more like a beer than a watermelon! Hersbrucker hops balanced the sweetness (whatever was left) and it is a lil boozy at 78degrees, I don't think the alcohol will come through when chilled.

This beer has some serious carbonation and head unlike a very similar watermelon wheat I did with real watermelon last year.

Kudos to the OP who lead the way!

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
NormBrews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

This seems like something I should try. My wife loves fruit flavored ciders....sooo here I go.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

In any case, the flavor of this beer is a departure from the norm. I added the flavoring into secondary. When I bottled I noticed that the yeast/trub had a distinct pink hue. The beer has no red color, so I thought that was kinda interesting, but I dont know what it means.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #19
Bluehaze
Recipes 

Thanks for the updates n_g.

I just brewed my second batch of this beer this summer. I usually make one for late spring consumption, and one for the end of summer. It is always a HUGE hit when I start tapping it, and it sadly never lasts very long.

I have always used the Amarillo hops for this batch, to give it a slightly hoppier taste, while maintaining the fruity/floral notes. By adding the watermelon extract to the primary fermentation, it significantly reduces the flavor that the extract imparts, so once the beer is finished you have no Jolly Rancher-esque (candy-like) smell and flavor.

I would bet your yeast/trub picked up the pink hue from the coloring in the extract, as I get the same result, with no redness added to the beer.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

Old 06-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #20
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I have amarillo hops in the fridge now... and a second dram of watermelon flavor. Maybe I'll fire up your original recipe and see how that goes. Feels weird to order extract though.

N_G
It could be worse.

Quick Reply