Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Watermelon Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #1
Bluehaze
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Extract - Watermelon Ale

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Wyeast 1272
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.050
Final Gravity: 1.008
Boiling Time (Minutes): 45
Color: Pale amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-7 days @ 64 F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5-7 days @ 64 F
Tasting Notes: Crisp, with a light watermelon nose & taste early and a light hoppy finish

Add 6# of Light LME to 3 gallons of boiled water and bring back to a boil

1oz Amarillo hops at boil

after 45 minute boil...

12 oz Honey (find a local beekeeper for the best natural honey, and the best prices)

1oz Amarillo hops and steep for 5 minutes

Add remaining water to fill to 5 gallons, and finish cooling to 70 F add one dram of watermelon flavor (available here - https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8695-wa...on-flavor.aspx )

pitch yeast, aerate, and watch it work.

While I have never taken gravity readings on this particular beer (I have on the base ale recipe though, and they typically are around 1.050 OG and 1.008 FG or there about if I recall correctly). I will update the gravity readings when I brew this again in late April/early May. This is a fantastic summer brew, that is not only simple to make, but easy to drink too.

*edit*
After finding the Brew Target software, I recalled correctly. It came up with an OG of 1.048 and a FG of 1.013 with and IBU of 24.8 and color of 7.6. Sounds about right to me.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

Last edited by Bluehaze; 03-09-2010 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Confirming gravity readings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2010, 04:50 AM   #2
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehaze View Post
add one dram of watermelon flavor (available here - https://www.lorannoils.com/p-8695-wa...on-flavor.aspx )
Have you tried other flavors of this syrup? This seems like a much easier way to impart fruit flavors than trying to add fruit to secondary and hope the yeast don't steal too much of the fruit essence.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Bluehaze
Recipes 

Yes, I have used several of their flavorings in different brews. Specifically their pumpkin extract (as it is waaaaaay easier than trying to clean a 3" slug of pumpkin gunk from your carboys), and their lemonade flavoring (in a Summer Shandy knockoff). I tried one of their cherry flavorings, but it was too "candy like" for my taste, so it's back to fruit juices for that beer.

It is more of an ultra-concentrated liquid than a syrup though. A little goes a long way, and I always start on the conservative side, as I know the beer will be good - it's just a matter of how much flavoring you like. You can always make it again and add more, but killing a beer with overpowering flavors can be heartbreaking.

I have also used Liquor Quick ( http://www.winemakeri.com/LIQUOR_QUI...nces_s/117.htm ) in a beer or two, for their hazelnut extract. I goes magically well in a Nut Brown Ale.

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

Old 03-09-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
NorCalAngler
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Have you used their strawberry or apricot flavoring? I'm thinking about making a strawberry or apricot cream ale. A little will go a long way in a subtle beer like that.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #5
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 13

That seems a lot simpler than squeezing a watermelon as I did last summer. Thanks for the link to the flavoring. I saw that they have a handy 6 pack of fruit flavors including watemelon. I think I"ll have to pursue that this Spring.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 03-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #6
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Any reason why you put the flavoring in during fermentation instead of at bottling like when using conventional flavorings?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
Bluehaze
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosquitocontrol View Post
Any reason why you put the flavoring in during fermentation instead of at bottling like when using conventional flavorings?
Trial and error. It gives just the right amount of flavor I was looking for by adding it at that time. If I add that type of flavoring at bottling (or kegging) it seems to always overpower the taste of the beer. With this particular brew, you get a nice watermelon nose, and a modest taste of it, before it fades and the Amarillo hops gently take you to the finish, leaving you wanting another sip.

-- Dave Barry

Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
mosquitocontrol
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds good I'll have to try it. Definitely cheaper then buying the conventional extracts too. Also cheaper then 5# of fruit and a bottle of oxyclean for cleanup when the secondary blows over. Thanks for this.

Last edited by mosquitocontrol; 03-10-2010 at 01:39 PM.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #9
Bluehaze
Recipes 

My pleasure.

Three things I am always looking for when brewing...

A way to save $$ without sacrificing quality
A way to cut down on my work (cleaning and prepping for fresh fruit can me a chore)
Someone to share a successful story of the first two with (preferably over a pint)

-- Dave Barry

Old 04-28-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 13

So I'm brewing this version with the candy extract next week. Grain bill is:

Wheat malt - 4 lb
2-row malt - 3 lb
cara hell - 8 oz
rice hulls - 8 oz
honey 1 lb at 10 mins
Hersbrucker for bittering (1 oz) and flavor (0.5 oz)
WY 1010 - American Wheat yeast

I bought the watermelon flavor off e-bay and am going to add it one week into a planned 2-week fermentation.

I'll let you know how it all works out. - N_G

N_G
It could be worse.

Last edited by nutty_gnome; 04-28-2010 at 04:46 PM.

Quick Reply