Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #521
scrub0bk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah i was planning on giving it another day or so. I'm just gonna keep measuring the SG and see what i get, hoping for the best!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #522
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I think either way you'll be fine. Did you use liquid yeast or dry? Starter or no starter?

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #523
scrub0bk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
Yeah, I think either way you'll be fine. Did you use liquid yeast or dry? Starter or no starter?
liquid wyeast, the slap pack. im assuming thats with a starter (sorry noob to this haha)

if i repitch, should i do the same? or go with a different yeast of the same?

Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 AM   #524
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub0bk View Post

liquid wyeast, the slap pack. im assuming thats with a starter (sorry noob to this haha)

if i repitch, should i do the same? or go with a different yeast of the same?
We're all noobs at some point! No, that's not a starter. A starter consists of basically making a small amount of wort, and pitching your yeast to raise the number of viable yeast cells... There's a little more to it than that, but do a quick search and you'll find plenty of info! Depending on the "best by" date of your Wyeast pack, it make be a really slow start. If you have to repitch, I would probably go with a dry yeast like Safale S-05. Others have used it with this recipe with good results.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #525
scrub0bk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
We're all noobs at some point! No, that's not a starter. A starter consists of basically making a small amount of wort, and pitching your yeast to raise the number of viable yeast cells... There's a little more to it than that, but do a quick search and you'll find plenty of info! Depending on the "best by" date of your Wyeast pack, it make be a really slow start. If you have to repitch, I would probably go with a dry yeast like Safale S-05. Others have used it with this recipe with good results.
Awesome thank you for that. I'll do the dry yeast if i have to repitch.

EDIT: If i do so, should i make a starter for it? Or just pitch it as is? First time using Dry yeast, i see mixed reviews haha

Old 11-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #526
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrub0bk View Post

Awesome thank you for that. I'll do the dry yeast if i have to repitch.

EDIT: If i do so, should i make a starter for it? Or just pitch it as is? First time using Dry yeast, i see mixed reviews haha
I've always had good result pitching it straight from the packet. Some will say you should rehydrate it first, directions are on the packet, but many don't rehydrate first. You won't need a starter for dry yeast, as there is a greater yeast cell count in a packet of dry yeast vs. a vial/pack of liquid yeast. So, rehydrate or don't, either way you'll make beer! I'll be surprised if you don't wake up tomorrow to find active fermentation, let me know how it all turns out!

Old 11-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #527
scrub0bk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I've always had good result pitching it straight from the packet. Some will say you should rehydrate it first, directions are on the packet, but many don't rehydrate first. You won't need a starter for dry yeast, as there is a greater yeast cell count in a packet of dry yeast vs. a vial/pack of liquid yeast. So, rehydrate or don't, either way you'll make beer! I'll be surprised if you don't wake up tomorrow to find active fermentation, let me know how it all turns out!
haha you were right, i got home from work, checked it, nice layer of krausen on the top, and it looks like the OG dropped a bit. and i mean a very slight bit. Gonna let it hang out for a couple days before i even open it anymore, i'll watch for bubbling as well.

Think i safe to let it go the 7? or should i check in a couple days and see what the OG is say in a day or 2. Not sure the effects of me opening the lid everyday are gonna be, i just wanna make sure were fermenting, and make sure it goes well

Old 11-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #528
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Awesome! Any idea what the "best by" date was on the yeast you pitched? Yeah, opening the lid could potentially cause you some infection issues. I'd let it go for the 7 days, and check the SG. If it's dropped quite a bit, check it again in a day or so and see if it stays the same. If it does, you're good to go! If not, pitch some dry yeast. Even if you've got a stuck fermentation, you can pitch some dry yeast and you'll be fine.

Old 11-20-2013, 03:02 AM   #529
scrub0bk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Awesome! Any idea what the "best by" date was on the yeast you pitched? Yeah, opening the lid could potentially cause you some infection issues. I'd let it go for the 7 days, and check the SG. If it's dropped quite a bit, check it again in a day or so and see if it stays the same. If it does, you're good to go! If not, pitch some dry yeast. Even if you've got a stuck fermentation, you can pitch some dry yeast and you'll be fine.
I didnt get to check unfortunately. I'll open it up sunday, see what the SG is and go from there. if we got a drop, check monday and if all goes according to plan, rack onto the berries that night

Old 11-20-2013, 05:12 AM   #530
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1959 Times on 1928 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just dont get in a rush. Which is really hard to do with this beer. Primary for two weeks will hurt nothing! This should be a four week beer prior to bottling. Relax and let the yeast do their thing.

Quick Reply