Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #41
SurlyBastard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I figured I might as well throw my 2 cents in on this one because it is one of the beers that constantly goes, and it seems I am brewing a new batch of this every 2 weeks.

First, If you want this beer to completely clear, you will have to go to extremes (and if you puree the fruit it will never clear ^^). Whirflock in the boil, gelatin in the secondary and cold crash at 35-40. Honestly, its a lot of work to get this beer to clear. I went through the steps to clear it once, but most people don't even care about the clarity, just the taste (im the only beer snob out of my friends ^^).

Anyway, onto my process. I never rack onto the strawberries. In order to get the most out of my yeast and let the yeast clear as much of the beer up, I place 4 lbs of frozen strawberries directly into my primary. The longer you leave the strawberries in the bucket, the more flavor will be imparted into the beer. However, I rarely let them sit for more than 2 weeks. At 4 weeks, a thin film usually develops on the top of the beer. Doesn't affect taste, but isn't very nice to look at.

My process is 1 week for primary fermentation. 2 weeks of strawberries in the primary. Then ill rack to a secondary with some gelatin just to clear it a little. Leave it for one week usually due to time constraints and then ill bottle. 4 weeks usually for the conditioning on this one. 2 weeks it is certainly drinkable, but 4 weeks seems to be the best spot to start drinking (and boy do they go fast).

I have yet to get mine exactly like Pete's, but I believe they use flavoring agents, not fresh fruit, and they also Lager it, so they won't be identical no matter how much you try. Besides, im not a real fan of flavoring or lagering. I think that about covers it ^^

Primary: Früli Clone
Primary: Empty
Primary: Strawberry Apfelwine
Bottled: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled: Belgian Strong Ale

"I make Hard Cider to fend off the Scurvy"

Last edited by SurlyBastard; 07-28-2010 at 05:03 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2010, 11:26 PM   #42
Sensei_Oberon
Recipes 

Great advice everyone. I'm thinking about brewing this soon. Now that you all have gone through it, any other tips you'd suggest?

I'm planning on incorporating all of your recipe and racking tweaks into my plan.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #43
jimmywit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei_Oberon View Post
Great advice everyone. I'm thinking about brewing this soon. Now that you all have gone through it, any other tips you'd suggest?

I'm planning on incorporating all of your recipe and racking tweaks into my plan.
Just make sure that what ever strawberries you use they have no additives. I have done this recipe twice. The first I used frozen strawberries from the store and it tasted like soep from the **** they put on the fruit to preserve it. The second I bought fresh and froze the fruit and it turned out great.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:33 AM   #44
SkylerChaBro
Recipes 

This looks like a good choice for the Summer! I have a Belgian White I'm brewing on Tuesday, so I may make this next on the list. Any feelings on converting it to an AG recipe? For the grains I'm thinking:

8.5lb Pilsner 2Row
1-1.5lb German Wheat Malt
.5lb Cara-pils

Mark K.

Old 01-11-2011, 02:39 PM   #45
djtoast
Recipes 

This looks like an excellent brew. I am going to have to give this a shot as my second brew.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #46
sqrl
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am excited I did this last night Took me until around 4 am since i started at 11 at night but it was worth it... I'll post an update later when i am not at work

Old 01-21-2011, 01:36 PM   #47
ohdannyboy
Recipes 

This is a great recipe .......I brewed it twice

Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #48
jj1940
Recipes 

best beer i brewed all summer

Old 02-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #49
djtoast
Recipes 

I'm kind of worried about this one. I added my strawberries directly to the primary after five days and then racked to secondary five days later. It smelt amazing when I added the strawberries. When I racked to secondary it had kind of a nasty smell to it. I'll let everyone know how it turns out. I'd like to try this recipe again without the strawberries.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #50
bommarkm
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just realized that this recipe calls for LME. Is it ok to use DME instead?

Thanks!

Quick Reply