Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Fruit Beer > Extract - Succulent Strawberry Blonde

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #431
jwolf99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

One other question. I'm planning on making a two gallon batch of this over the weekend. What would you suggest for my starter (how much water + DME and how much of WLP001 should I use)? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 AM   #432
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolf99 View Post
One other question. I'm planning on making a two gallon batch of this over the weekend. What would you suggest for my starter (how much water + DME and how much of WLP001 should I use)? Thanks
Not sure. I've never used a starter on this beer, or any other for that matter, and its always turned out fine. I'm sure some others will chime in!

http://www.bluelinebrewer.com

Like my page on Facebook!

Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #433
jwolf99
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
Not sure. I've never used a starter on this beer, or any other for that matter, and its always turned out fine. I'm sure some others will chime in!
Actually, I've never used one either (beer or wine) and have never had a problem. Normally I just drop the yeast (dry or active) into a 1/2 cup of warm water 30 mins before pitching. But this is the first time I'm using WLP001 and most recipes that use it seem to use a starter. Plus White Labs website recommends it. But I would just as well pitch it my normal way so as to save a step.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM   #434
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1968 Times on 1934 Posts
Likes Given: 5

FWIW, I always make a starter, for every beer. Even when I am using S-05. Mostly, because I can. It will help the yeast start quicker with the less strain, but I have made this beer many times by just dumping a packet of non-rehydrated S-05 into it, or just smacking a pack of 1056, with great results. I enjoy making starters, so I do, but it is not required to make a good beer.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:26 AM   #435
SupervisingChildren
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 516 Times on 363 Posts

I made this for the 3rd time today, but realized I completely forgot to buy Saaz. Did 1oz cascade @60 and 1/2 oz citra at 10. Bavarian wheat dme 2lbs at start of boil and 1lb @20mins. Also added 1/2 tsp yeast starter. A citrusy strawberry blonde it is! OG was 1.07.
Bottled batch #2 of this on friday, and bottling Apfelwein tonight!... a busy beer weekend

Old 06-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #436
WildGingerBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1968 Times on 1934 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupervisingChildren
I made this for the 3rd time today, but realized I completely forgot to buy Saaz. Did 1oz cascade @60 and 1/2 oz citra at 10. Bavarian wheat dme 2lbs at start of boil and 1lb @20mins. Also added 1/2 tsp yeast starter. A citrusy strawberry blonde it is! OG was 1.07.
Bottled batch #2 of this on friday, and bottling Apfelwein tonight!... a busy beer weekend
Im interested in knowing hiw it turns out with citra. I have thought about changing up the hops but never do. I think citra would be a fine addition!

Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #437
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Didn't read the entire thread..

I'm making a strawberry wheat and have 5 lbs of frozen strawberries to add. Has anyone cold crashed their beer, added the strawberries, and kept it at about 40-42F to prevent the yeast from fermenting the fruit's sugars?

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 06-17-2013, 05:57 AM   #438
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post
Didn't read the entire thread..

I'm making a strawberry wheat and have 5 lbs of frozen strawberries to add. Has anyone cold crashed their beer, added the strawberries, and kept it at about 40-42F to prevent the yeast from fermenting the fruit's sugars?
I've never tried that. I've always been skeered of bottle bombs. But, if you're kegging, that could be a different story. Btw, at 5 lbs, I don't know if you'll get as much strawberry flavor.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:13 AM   #439
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelinebrewer View Post
I've never tried that. I've always been skeered of bottle bombs. But, if you're kegging, that could be a different story. Btw, at 5 lbs, I don't know if you'll get as much strawberry flavor.
Yep, I'm kegging so I'm not worried about bottle bombs. I'm just worried about tartness. I might step up the amount of strawberries but I don't want an overpowering liquid strawberry flavor.

Also, has there been any known problems with getting the strawberries out of a carboy opening? I know that a bucket is recommended but mine are out of commission.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 06-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #440
Bluelinebrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetallHed View Post

Yep, I'm kegging so I'm not worried about bottle bombs. I'm just worried about tartness. I might step up the amount of strawberries but I don't want an overpowering liquid strawberry flavor.

Also, has there been any known problems with getting the strawberries out of a carboy opening? I know that a bucket is recommended but mine are out of commission.
I don't see any issue with it in that case. Not sure if it would have any effect on the taste or not. I cant imagine it would. Yeah, 8 lbs definitely gives it some tartness!

I've not heard of any issues. I'm sure you'll get them out, one way or another. Might be a slow and tedious process getting them in though!

Quick Reply